S&W 2.O M&P Shield .380

yanici

NES Member
Well, the Shield in .380 is out. If it's as good as it looks it will be a big hit. There is a grip safety on it and whatever a tactical loaded chamber indicator is. Maybe with all the safeties S&W won't screw up the MA compliant trigger on this gun. With or without manual safety. Holds 8+1 rounds. Easy slide racking for the women. The MSRP only $399. Gonna put a dent in the Sig P238 sales if the gun works out.

M&P® 380 SHIELD™ EZ™ Manual Thumb Safety | Smith & Wesson

Last edited:
Why not just go with 9mm? I have zero experience with 380 (I owned a bodyguard for a bit but quickly sold it) but is it that much less recoil and easier to rack than 9mm?

S&W marketing guy: How do we update the 2.0?
S&W engineer: ALL THE SAFETIES!!!!!
[puke][puke][puke]
At least they didn't label the "grip zone"

Well, the Shield in .380 is out. If it's as good as it looks it will be a big hit. There is a grip safety on it and whatever a tactical loaded chamber indicator is. Maybe with all the safeties S&W won't screw up the MA compliant trigger on this gun. With or without manual safety. Holds 8+1 rounds. Easy slide racking for the women. The MSRP only $399. Gonna put a dent in the Sig P238 sales if the gun works out.

M&P® 380 SHIELD™ EZ™ Manual Thumb Safety | Smith & Wesson

Someone plz explain this to me? Yeah... ok, its for women, old people and guys I wouldn't hang out with..

If your too weak to rack a slide and want tons of safety built into your gun you just buy a snubbie.. Am I missing something here?

They could have just made a normal Shield in 380 with a easy to rack slide and sold a f*** ton of them.. instead they have this.

An ugly gun for someone who knows nothing about guns and will likely be more okay with them being banned after buying one as their first.
#FriendsWontLetFriendsBuyThisAbomination

Why not just go with 9mm? I have zero experience with 380 (I owned a bodyguard for a bit but quickly sold it) but is it that much less recoil and easier to rack than 9mm?

Blowback 380s like the PPK/S and the bodyguard tend to have stiff recoil springs, and can be more difficult to rack than a locked breech design like the SigP238/Colt Mustang. I am guessing this is a locked breech. 380s have less recoil, since they are sending a 95 grain at ~850 vs 115 at ~1180. I would agree this is aimed at the recoil sensitive market. I have no idea why SW would add a grip safety to a gun they have sold millions of without one.

I agree with MMArtist, why not a just a shield in 380 and be done with it?

Don't understand the point of this. It's a .380 that is bigger than some pocket 9's. Maybe they had some market research indicating enough demand to merit producing this, but I don't see it.

A slightly smaller shield .380 like the Glock 42 would be welcome....this thing is gross.

Maybe if you can’t do 9mm for some reason...

whatever a tactical loaded chamber indicator is
tactile loaded chamber indicator. i.e. one that can be felt. e.g. some part of the ejector is proud of the slide when there's a round in the chamber.

so far as practicality, it sounds like they're targeting a very specific audience, and relatively well. if you have weak grip strength, small and light is going to be bad for control. If a grip safety lets them get rid of the hinged 10+ lb trigger for states like MA and NY, they're doing a great service for the audience.
Is it ugly? Sure. So's every Glock ever. But if they think it solve a problem, good for S&W for taking a risk.

Here's hoping it doesn't suck, and a couple people who otherwise aren't carrying feel that it gives them the freedom to do so.

Based on that article it seems just a little bit larger than the shield 9/40. It makes sense for the population it’s designed for. I still think a .380 shield similar to a G42 would be nice though. It would eliminate the bodyguard probably.

Don't understand the point of this. It's a .380 that is bigger than some pocket 9's. Maybe they had some market research indicating enough demand to merit producing this, but I don't see it.
People who shoot 9 or higher like a larger bedside/range gun. It’s easier to shoot and more fun. I bet some in the .380 crowd would like the same thing. 9 shots from an easy to shoot gun is better than 7 shots from your hard to shoot bodyguard.

I hate the flag LCI!! Otherwise it seems way cooler than the bodyguard. If they can ditch the LCI, and for a street price of under 300, I would pick one up for the wife and kids.

The cut of the locking lug is very interesting. I would at the very least fondle one.

For all the bother, Sig was making the 230 and the 232 20 years ago!

while the P230 series was cool, this blowback action creates an abrupt and less pleasant recoil than tilting barrel. at first i thought this wasn't possible so did a range comparison of the P232 with a G42. the G42 is like half the weight and had around half the recoil. the physics makes no sense to my little brain but it's real.

so for new shooters the tilting barrel Browning action in 380 is going to very pleasant to shoot. the slide will also be much easier to run. blowback pistol designs in general are sort of dead (for many reasons).

The only thing they did right about the shield 380 is the reversible magazine button, unlike the shield 9 M2.0.

They should have made the shield 380 the same size as the bodyguard 380. The shield 380 looks huge

People who shoot 9 or higher like a larger bedside/range gun. It’s easier to shoot and more fun. I bet some in the .380 crowd would like the same thing. 9 shots from an easy to shoot gun is better than 7 shots from your hard to shoot bodyguard.

My Beretta .380 holds 14 rounds and the
Buffalo Bore ammo velocity is 1175 fps. It's very easy to shoot, fast follow up shots and is stupid accurate. I like my bigger bore handguns too though.

Last edited:
Got one for my wife who has a problem racking the slide on her 9mm shield. She loves it. Low recoil, accurate AF, hasn't missed a beat on 115gr range ammo as well as Critical defense carry ammo. Not to mention its light as a feather! Feels like my Body Guard. Don't hesitate, its the best $399. I ever spent on a handgun.

Look, most of us don't need this gun. But there are a lot of folks with very weak grip, arthritic hands, etc who would like a reasonably-sized gun with an easy to rack slide in a caliber that produces very little recoil. This pistol is an absolute blessing for them. Seems to be getting great reviews from the Youtubers I've seen.

Glad someone is finally addressing this market. My spouse is older and arthritic. I'd rather have her shooting something like this than her .22. Even a Colt Gov't .380 was painful for her. We'll be trying one of these out in the near future.

I fondled one yesterday, other than the stupid lci and unnecessary grip safety, it seemed like a quality piece. I am not the target audience but can understand how this could be the perfect fit for some....and it’s not some tiny little gun that a regular guy can’t shoot!! I like s&w but hate the bodyguard.

It was exceedingly easy to rack the slide. The grip safety doesn’t bother me as much as the horrible lci!!

Back
Top Bottom