S&W 2.O M&P Shield .380

I fondled one yesterday, other than the stupid lci and unnecessary grip safety, it seemed like a quality piece. I am not the target audience but can understand how this could be the perfect fit for some....and it’s not some tiny little gun that a regular guy can’t shoot!! I like s&w but hate the bodyguard.

It was exceedingly easy to rack the slide. The grip safety doesn’t bother me as much as the horrible lci!!

I guess I don't get your objection to the LCI. I actually like it. It's unobtrusive (none of that red-lettering crap on the sides), gives me visual and tactile feel, and doesn't interfere with the holster. To me, it's far less offensive than S&W's penchant to billboard the slide with giant logos, or "Caution: capable of firing with magazine removed" or "Warning: bullets come out here."

I guess I don't get your objection to the LCI. I actually like it. It's unobtrusive (none of that red-lettering crap on the sides), gives me visual and tactile feel, and doesn't interfere with the holster. To me, it's far less offensive than S&W's penchant to billboard the slide with giant logos, or "Caution: capable of firing with magazine removed" or "Warning: bullets come out here."

Just personal preference. I don't feel the need for an LCI, but if you're going to do it, why not do it the way the rest of the M&P line does it with the witness hole (which don't love, but it's better than the flag). I prefer the glock LCI on the extractor, but to each their own. It seems to be a pretty solid firearm overall, and I may pick one up for the wife/kids to play with.

Don't understand the point of this. It's a .380 that is bigger than some pocket 9's. Maybe they had some market research indicating enough demand to merit producing this, but I don't see it.

If you've ever tried to train anyone who has f***ed up hands it becomes readily apparent how useful something like this is. My dad can still run his 1911 but because he smashed up his right pinky finger years ago in a bike
accident, it really messes with his ability to rack the slide. (you're probably like well what does that have to do with running a gun- but anyone who has damaged a finger can tell you it kinda f***s up the function of half your entire hand!) Most people his age would not even be able to do what he does. People who have slight disabilities shouldn't be forced into choosing a revolver for self defense. Also, people who lack dexterity in their hands/fingers also have difficulty loading something like a magazine. The mags in these guns have a built in "crutch" to assist with loading.

I have another friend who is much younger than my dad that probably needs one of these, of course getting him to admit that he needs it will be another thing entirely, but after watching him handle a gun, something is wrong with one of his hands, but it's like he doesn't want to admit it or something.

-Mike

If you've ever tried to train anyone who has f***ed up hands it becomes readily apparent how useful something like this is. My dad can still run his 1911 but because he smashed up his right pinky finger years ago in a bike
accident, it really messes with his ability to rack the slide. (you're probably like well what does that have to do with running a gun- but anyone who has damaged a finger can tell you it kinda f***s up the function of half your entire hand!) Most people his age would not even be able to do what he does. People who have slight disabilities shouldn't be forced into choosing a revolver for self defense. Also, people who lack dexterity in their hands/fingers also have difficulty loading something like a magazine. The mags in these guns have a built in "crutch" to assist with loading.

I have another friend who is much younger than my dad that probably needs one of these, of course getting him to admit that he needs it will be another thing entirely, but after watching him handle a gun, something is wrong with one of his hands, but it's like he doesn't want to admit it or something.

-Mike

No doubt it's very helpful for people with the issues you described. I just wondered if there was enough of a market to make the product commercially viable. Apparently there is, so good on S&W for tapping it.

This is one of S&W's most thoughtful designs, and its features fit its intended market perfectly. I'm selling them like pancakes.

The market is people (mostly women over 50) who are not expert handgun shots, and who may have compromised hand strength due to many factors. This is a growing demographic, consisting mostly of very nice people who are awakened to the need for personal defense.

The features that work great for such a customer are:

1. The .380 cartridge in a relatively large, heavy pistol (compared to the pocket guns: LCP, BG380, Micro and 238) is easy to shoot with minimal recoil, while with good-quality hollowpoints has more than adequate terminal ballistics. The barrel, which is longer than those in the pocket pistols, adds a little to velocity for better performance in the target. I recommend Hornady Critical Defense loads for this pistol.

2. The mass of the slide permits a very light recoil spring which makes it easy to operate the slide.

3. Beginners often insist on an external safety. Even if you and I don't think it's necessary, it gives them peace of mind which is, to them, a real benefit. The grip safety is the best kind for this owner, as it does not require a deliberate movement to deactivate, a movement which the owner might forget in the supercharged atmosphere of a real DGU situation.

4. The pistol is equally easy to field-strip for cleaning. These owners want to know that they can care for their pistols themselves.

5. The knobs on the magazine follower make it easy to load. If it still presents an issue, I recommend a Baby Lula for loading.

Many of these people were (wrongly) told that they have to settle for a revolver due to inability to rack the slide on other pistols. But a revolver or double-action pistol is a terrible answer for someone who has hand strength issues due to its very heavy trigger pull. I had a customer who traded in an LCP, because she couldn't pull the trigger on it. The five-round capacity of a carry revolver may be inadequate in a multiple-assailant situation.

As far as a 9mm version goes, it would make no sense. Anyone who can handle the recoil of a 9mm easily will also be able to operate the slide on a 9mm Shield, which is smaller and thinner, ergo superior for IWB or pocket carry.

Note: there's a consumer advisory from S&W that pistols made prior to April 4, 2018 may be prone to having the thumb safety switch to the "on" (safe) position if the ammunition used produces "high recoil."

M&P®380 SHIELD™ EZ™ Consumer Advisory | Smith & Wesson

They are doing free fixes.

Another point I want to make about this gun, which I will probably never buy but might recommend to others, is that an extra 1-1.5" in barrel length means quite a lot when it comes to performance with .380ACP. Paul Harrell recently did a great series of Youtube videos on this topic.

I would also guess that MagGuts will end up making some +1 and +2 kits.

Glad someone is finally addressing this market. My spouse is older and arthritic. I'd rather have her shooting something like this than her .22. Even a Colt Gov't .380 was painful for her. We'll be trying one of these out in the near future.

Would like to see the outcome of this tryout.

I fondled one yesterday, other than the stupid lci ,,, The grip safety doesn’t bother me as much as the horrible lci!!

Is "LCI" Loaded Chamber Indicator? If so, what is wrong with it, and aren't those required in all new MA handguns now?

Is "LCI" Loaded Chamber Indicator? If so, what is wrong with it, and aren't those required in all new MA handguns now?

Yes, loaded chamber indicator. I just don’t like the aesthetics of that method, personally. YMMV. Especially where the shield 9mm has just the witness hole ( which I also don’t LOVE, but I deal with it and carry one 50-60% of the time). Not to be a glock fanboy, but I think they really got the extractor LCI right. Why can’t everyone do it that way, you rest your booger hook right there when not ready to go bang, dark or light, you know if you got one in the pipe or not.

Yes, loaded chamber indicator. I just don’t like the aesthetics of that method, personally. YMMV. Especially where the shield 9mm has just the witness hole ( which I also don’t LOVE, but I deal with it and carry one 50-60% of the time). Not to be a glock fanboy, but I think they really got the extractor LCI right. Why can’t everyone do it that way, you rest your booger hook right there when not ready to go bang, dark or light, you know if you got one in the pipe or not.

Maybe I'm just too old (!), but the "hole in the barrel hood" version of LCI is useless to me. I can't see shit in the LCI hole in my Shield, especially in any kind of low light. I don't have a problem with the EZ 380 LCI. It's certainly useful without being obtrusive.

I have shot one of these...
  • It is very light
  • super easy to load and rack
  • barely any recoil
  • fun to shoot
Unlike some of the other small 9's or revolvers, this firearm is a joy to shot and practice with. This is so important for carry guns.

Maybe I'm just too old (!), but the "hole in the barrel hood" version of LCI is useless to me. I can't see shit in the LCI hole in my Shield, especially in any kind of low light. I don't have a problem with the EZ 380 LCI. It's certainly useful without being obtrusive.
What irritates one guy is a joy to the next! Thank god we have such a large selection of firearms with different features!

I shot one today that someone in the next lane brought with him. 77 year old, frail, arthritic, veteran.
Was watching him operate the slide, load the mags and shoot the 10-ring out with a brand new gun. (7 yards)
Asked him how he liked it and he loved it. Said he could only shoot wheelguns for the last dozen years, but they were very heavy. He did say he didn't like the grip safety and said he wanted a Hogue Grip sleeve to defeat it. I told him if he was going to go that route, first try a lobster claw band first. I told him he would have to eat the lobster first. He chuckled.

So, I shot the same type target from the same distance and kept them all in the black. Very nice shooter.
Very light too. Thing felt like a Walther P-22, only this is no Rimfire .22.
It is something that could be carried for Protection of Life and would be more dependable than a rimfire .22.
Couple it with a hot .380 round and a decent projo and it is now an entry-level carry caliber...

I know of at least 3 women and another older fella that would love this gun.

I ain't poo-poo'ing anything about it... It fills a need.

~Matt

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom