S&W 29 options

It’s about time I added this American classic to my collection and I am wondering if the Smith and Wesson gurus on here could help me out.
My heart is set on a model 29 classic; blued with a 4 inch barrel. Absolutely beautiful. The only issue is that I can not get past that stupid key lock.
I also have to opportunity to purchase a model 629-4 pre-lock 3 inch barrel for 100 bucks more and now I am stumped as to what to do. I’d like to have a blued gun and a longer barrel, but that 629-4 was really nice.
Anyone care to help me make a decision? Is the lock, aside from being unsightly, that big of a deal?

There had been reports that S&W revolver locks engaged involuntarily when fired. It would suck if you need follow-up shots.

There had been reports that S&W revolver locks engaged involuntarily when fired. It would suck if you need follow-up shots.
I read that had happened with the smaller airweight revolvers in a couple instances but I hadn’t read any reports of it occurring with the large frame guns. My father has a 629 that he got years ago and I never noticed it even had that dumb lock until I learned about them a couple months ago. Now I can’t unsee it.

Last edited:

this was true in the early versions of the lock. But as with anything the stigma never went away even after S&W fixed the issue. Have several lock versions from S&W with thousands of rounds fired with no issues what so ever.

I personally love the 3” bbl in a revolver have two 629s with 3” bbls and unfluted cylinders. My favorite configuration.

A5E69662-4871-4D12-92AA-8671ABC6CE41.jpeg

@Amd813x look for a 29-2, you'll be very happy with it. I found one at Four Seasons last year in the configuration you are looking for, they show up around here on occasion.

ahhhh the "Hillary Hole", I remember seeing videos on how to remove the mechanism from J frame revolvers, I'd think doing the same to a large frame revolver would be easy enough to do. (see video below)

The real problem is many people feel the quality of the revolvers with the Hillary Hole does not live up to earlier production models

I’d wait for the 4” pre lock. I have both pinned and recessed and the newer type. P&R is overrated in my opinion. I agree in not liking the lock.

If you buy used inspect it carefully, at least check that the cylinder locks before the hammer does, and check runout at the crane/ejector rod. Also look for buggered screws especially the mainspring. You can also check the cylinder gap.

Despite great factory triggers, seems a lot of people screw with these revolvers and then sell after they f*** em up and then you also pay for the replacement parts, plus the gunsmith if you don’t know how to fix it.

Last edited:
Is the lock, aside from being unsightly, that big of a deal?
I have a 29 “Classic” 6 1/2 in and I completely ignore the lock. Other than screwing up the aesthetics, it has no impact as far as I can tell. I do agree with Hickok45 that the stock grips on the Classic are terrible for shooting magnum loads. I ended up using Hogue Monogrips when I want to shoot full house magnum loads, but they don’t look anywhere near as good as the stock grips, which are fine for .44 special and “lite” magnum loads.

X 2 on hole/schmole and the factory grips do indeed look great but suck. Find a round butt. Put that that giant Houge X frame Tamer grip on it and shoot elephant loads all day long.

eta...the Classic is a square butt20201224_141301[1].jpg

Last edited:
i dunno, anyone know of this condition first hand? i don't. i own a talo w/lock 3" round butt .44 mag that i've shot the shit out of will full bore 50+ year old remington ammo that you old timers know is pretty stiff and i've seen no evidence of the guns lock engaging. it's always the same shit...my brother in laws 2nd cousin knows a guy who's wife's sister is married to a guy....an on and on and on.
I have an older 6.5” model 29 with no lock and a number of lock smith and Wesson’s. Other than how it looks and the reason for it being annoying, they are all great guns. Get the barrel length you really want is my advice.
yeah, i'd agree.

people were saying the revolvers sucked when smith eliminated the pinned barrel. i was alive for that one. i can imagine they were crying when the triple lock was phased out and when they eliminated that 5th screw. everyone wants what they can't have. if you were to tell me 5 years ago people would buy a $35 anderson stripped lower for $800+ i be shocked also. i'm pretty sure that lock came about because of advice from the legal team. i'm not happy over it but it won't prevent me from buying a locked revolver. i'm more pissed that the case hardened hammer and trigger look like shit now. just buy what you want...simple.

My late brother had a 29-2, 6-1/2" he bought from the PX on Guam in 1967......for $72.00 . Unbeknownst to me, my late father sold it to a friend about 15yrs ago. Found that out with his paperwork in 2007 when he died.
I should track him down

What would you all say the going price is for an older model 29 these days?
Not sure what they are going for today, but back in 2016 when I bought the model 29 Classic a good condition 29-2 with box and accessories was going for +$200 more than I paid for the NIB Classic (back then $990 for the Classic, ~$1200 for the 29-2 if you could find one).

I like Smith revolvers. Have a couple of no dash 4" 66s, a 6" 19-5, and a 6" 28-2.

In .44 I would grab a Redhawk. I regret the heck out of selling my 5.5" Redhawk.

I like Smith revolvers. Have a couple of no dash 4" 66s, a 6" 19-5, and a 6" 28-2.

In .44 I would grab a Redhawk. I regret the heck out of selling my 5.5" Redhawk.
While I am sure the Rugers are fine guns and have a long history as S&W does with their revolvers, the Rugers just don't do it for me. Theres something about the aesthetic and the lines of a Smith N frame that is just downright handsome.

While I am sure the Rugers are fine guns and have a long history as S&W does with their revolvers, the Rugers just don't do it for me. Theres something about the aesthetic and the lines of a Smith N frame that is just downright handsome.

Oh I don't disagree at all. I'm just kind of missing my old Redhawk. That thing was a tank and soooo easy to bang steel at distance with. Now my only Rugers are a couple of Security Sixes and a Blackhawk. I like the--no longer made feel with the Security Six.

Back
Top Bottom