S&W 342 / lightweight J-frame pocket carry

Hello everyone. I just got a prelock 11oz S&W model 342. This has been my dream CCW pistol for a long time now. I'd like to hear from those of you who own a super lightweight J frame and from all of you who carry a J-frame each & every day.
Thanks,
smitty

Can you offer a comparison of the CT vs. standard grip? Do you notice the CT effecting draw at all?

I prefer the CT grip over stock. It does not seem to effect draw at all, (for me anyway) and the grip feels better in my hand. The only downside is that the grips are too thick to effectively use HKS SpeedLoaders - I've switched to Bianchi SpeedStrips....

Thinking of getting one (an S&W j-frame revolver that is)....I'm torn between:

The 2 1/8" model 60
The 637
The 340 - but it's really pricey..
The 442 (SAF commemorative - just to rub the salt in any anti's wounds)

OR

The new Taurus, compact 6 shot revolver (the 856 AFAIK, saw it in this months Guns and Ammo magazine). I know there is a reliability issue with Taurus, but the idea of a 6 shot in a compact frame is pretty neat.

I'd prefer to go S&W though.....but their prices range so much.

That been said. For a carry gun (love my Sig, but it's like walking around with a brick), would you recommend one with an exposed hammer, or a DAO type revolver where the hammer is not exposed?

Edit to add: Also, would .38 be OK, or would a .357/.36+P be better? I did fire Jay's J-frame .357Mag -- and OUCH!!!! It hurt like hell..

Last edited:
This thread makes me want to carry mine. 642 in an Uncle Mikes #3 with a ring of BuffaloBore LSWCHP+P. Preferred load of the FBI.
96840EE0-5273-4DFC-831F-05ED3CB06B97.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm normally a semi-auto guy, but I keep a 442 in a Mika's pocket holster in case I need to run a quick errand and don't feel like strapping my other gun and spare mag into my belt. It super convenient for when I have to run down the street to get some Tylenol for my kid a 11pm or something - I can just throw the revolver in my pocket and head out the door.

I also find these little airweight j-frames to be great training aids as well. If you can shoot one of those well, you can shoot anything.

Back
Top Bottom