• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W 500 - what presses are people using?

exo

I am thinking about picking up a S&W 500, probably the 4" model. I have to figure buying reloading equipment into the price because factory ammo is so expensive.

For those of you who reload for the 500, what presses are you folks using? I have a Dillon XL 650, and I figure I would spend around $300 to buy what I need to load the 500 on it (excluding the stuff for my casefeeder, I don't think I would be doing enough volume for this caliber to make that additional expense worth it). For around the same money, I can get a single stage press (say, a Hornady Lock-n-load classic) and all the stuff I'd need for that.

I figure I'd be loading small batches for the 500, and I'm not sure it will be worth the time to swap my 650 over whenever I want to make a batch of 500 to take to the range.

Thoughts?

I load lots of .500 on my L-N-L progressive. What's the big deal about changing calibers?

ETA: On the other hand, a good single stage press will always come in handy.

Also, why is it so expensive? I went all out on dies (I bought a set of RCBS dies, then added a Lyman "M" expander die and Redding Roll crimp die) and spent less than $100 to set it up - including the casefeeder.

Last edited:
I load lots of .500 on my L-N-L progressive. What's the big deal about changing calibers?

It's not a huge deal, just a minor annoyance I guess.

ETA: On the other hand, a good single stage press will always come in handy.

I've been thinking this too. Say I get into reloading for precision rifle or something like that, or have a series of specific operations to perform and I don't have another toolhead handy, etc.

Also, why is it so expensive? I went all out on dies (I bought a set of RCBS dies, then added a Lyman "M" expander die and Redding Roll crimp die) and spent less than $100 to set it up - including the casefeeder.

There's the caliber conversion ($86.95), the extra large powder die ($18.95), and then a "deluxe" quick change kit ($101.95). The last item is a better deal than just buying the toolhead ($26.95) and powder measure ($75.95). We're up to $207.85 here, now add dies.

Wow. What is the 'caliber conversion' if it's not dies and a tool head? Can't you just use the powder measure you have now and adjust it for a different charge?

It's not a huge deal, just a minor annoyance I guess.

I've been thinking this too. Say I get into reloading for precision rifle or something like that, or have a series of specific operations to perform and I don't have another toolhead handy, etc.

There's the caliber conversion ($86.95), the extra large powder die ($18.95), and then a "deluxe" quick change kit ($101.95). The last item is a better deal than just buying the toolhead ($26.95) and powder measure ($75.95). We're up to $207.85 here, now add dies.

You don't really need more than a few powder measures total for a 550/650, and some would even argue that is overkill. I only have 2 for mine just in case something stupid happens with one of them, or I have to swap calibers without dumping the powder in the measure. Usually only the "I have money to burn" types will buy a measure for every dillon toolhead they have.

-Mike

Wow. What is the 'caliber conversion' if it's not dies and a tool head? Can't you just use the powder measure you have now and adjust it for a different charge?

Dillon's idea of a "caliber conversion" is a shell plate, locator buttons, the casefeed doohickey that sits next to the shell plate, powder funnel, and another casefeed doohickey (I do love those technical terms).

You don't really need more than a few powder measures total for a 550/650, and some would even argue that is overkill. I only have 2 for mine just in case something stupid happens with one of them, or I have to swap calibers without dumping the powder in the measure. Usually only the "I have money to burn" types will buy a measure for every dillon toolhead they have.

-Mike

I really hate adjusting my powder measure once I have it set for something. In the other calibers I load (.45 Auto, 10mm, .223, and .44 mag) I don't do a whole lot of experimenting. I've found loads I like and I stick to 'em.

Edit: I suppose I could probably condense my powder funnel usage and cut costs that way, hadn't really considered it before. I do prefer to keep things simple though.

Last edited:
I guess it will come down to how many you think you'll shoot. I load .500 on the progressive because I shoot a .30 cal ammo can full of them pretty much every month.

If you're going to shoot it 100 times per year, then a single stage makes sense, and a single stage press always comes in handy. I can't imagine not having one or two.

Thanks for the advice. I think it would be a low volume gun for me. However, when I bought my 4" 629 I took it to the range, and that very night I ordered reloading stuff for it. It is currently my favorite handgun.

I load mine on a Forster Co-Ax. If I was planning to load more than 50 or so at a time I might set up the 550, but for smaller runs I find the co-ax is faster. (Also my .500 dies aren't really ideal for a progressive.)

A conversion kit for the Dillon 550/650 has all that you need to load that caliber except the tool head and the powder die. Off the top of my head those items combined should be about $100. as far as powder measures 2 should be more thn enough. Set each up with a small and large powder bar and your good to go.

I load in a 550B but I load/shoot much more than what you are looking at and load lots of different calibers.... Speed of changeover, consistency of the load and ability to make a fair amount of ammo without spending all day are the main factors for me.....[thinking]

Last edited:
I ended up going with a Hornady Lock-n-load classic single stage press, along with RCBS dies and a Redding profile crimp die. I can see enough uses for the single stage that it should be worth it in the long run. If I ever end up shooting enough 500 to warrant running it on the progressive, then I can get the parts I need then. No loss really either way, as the single stage will come in handy.

Good choice. You're right - a single stage press will always be useful.

If you're planning on shooting a lot of lead bullets, check out the Lyman "M" expander die for the .500, It expands in two 'steps' and enables you to seat lead bullets straighter than a conventional expander. It helped the accuracy of my lead .500 ammo.

Yeah I forgot, I had ordered the Lyman M expander. I had been searching around the forums and saw another spot where you had recommended it.

So a couple of observations after using this setup for a bit...

1) Either I'm an idiot or the Lyman M expander sucks (the jury is still out but I'm leaning towards the former), because I managed to shear the rod that holds the expander.

2) I loaded 80 rounds in one sitting on the single stage, and my arm was sore the next day. I think I might end up buying the caliber conversion for my XL 650 after all [rolleyes]

You have to make sure the insert inside the expander die is tight. If you noticed that it got harder to pull the case out of the expander die before it broke, then the insert loosened up. I did the same thing.

You have to make sure the insert inside the expander die is tight. If you noticed that it got harder to pull the case out of the expander die before it broke, then the insert loosened up. I did the same thing.

That's exactly what happened. Thank you for the tip.

So you load 500 on your progressive, does the LNL AP expand and charge at the same time like the Dillon? I'm wondering how to incorporate the use of these other expanders into the process. I don't use the powder check die, so I have an extra station available... would expanding (again) after charging work?

I size, expand, charge, seat, and crimp in separate stations. My powder measure predates the powder-through expanders, and I'm not sure I'd use them on the .500 anyway.

I size, expand, charge, seat, and crimp in separate stations. My powder measure predates the powder-through expanders, and I'm not sure I'd use them on the .500 anyway.

I have enough total stations to do each step independently, but the XL 650 is only set up to charge at station 2. The failsafe return thing won't go anywhere else. What's the general objection to using the powder-through-expander on the 500?

Looking at prices, I think I'd end up feeding the cases manually on the 650. The "Magnum Rifle Casefeed Kit" is $103 by itself.

You still can use powder-through-expander and powder charge in station 2, and use Lyman M die expander in station 3 to refine the belling for lead bullets. Then seat bullet in station 4 and crimp in station 5.

I use a rcbs reloader special that I use to load everything else. I use a Lee die set and the powder measure that came with the press. The 500 gives my press a workout but I lube the cases to make it easier even though I use carbide sizing dies.

Load S&W 460 mag on my 650 all the time. Im confused why people are reluctant to just swap setups as required? Buy a extra die plate buy the conv kit and bang out some ammo .

Im confused why people
i recall when i was just beginning to shop for a press - it was incredibly confusing of what companies provide what options for what models, what comes stock in what version they sell, etc.

a lot of people i am sure truly do not understand to what degree those 'progressive' 650/750 machines are flexible, and that no one has to use them as progressive presses, if there is no desire to do that. and how easy is it to swap between calibers.

I am thinking about picking up a S&W 500, probably the 4" model. I have to figure buying reloading equipment into the price because factory ammo is so expensive.

For those of you who reload for the 500, what presses are you folks using? I have a Dillon XL 650, and I figure I would spend around $300 to buy what I need to load the 500 on it (excluding the stuff for my casefeeder, I don't think I would be doing enough volume for this caliber to make that additional expense worth it). For around the same money, I can get a single stage press (say, a Hornady Lock-n-load classic) and all the stuff I'd need for that.

I figure I'd be loading small batches for the 500, and I'm not sure it will be worth the time to swap my 650 over whenever I want to make a batch of 500 to take to the range.

Thoughts?
What kind of stuff do you think you need for the case feeder?

Back
Top Bottom