S&W Bodyguard biggest POS of all time

I bought mine during their $50 rebate. It had 2 issues that S&W fixed right away. The Galloway trigger kit made a big difference. Mine's a good little gun for the price and I'm surprised how well I can shoot it: minute of dirtbag at 7 yards, anyway.

BTW, as some NESer put it, we should all hold manufacturers accountable for their flaws. Take the time to send it back and make them fix their mistakes. In the long run it's healthy for them and will help them improve.

Spoiler alert: cheap guns are cheaply made.

Glocks are cheap (outside of MA at least), and maybe even cheaply made, but they run like tireless workhorses. Cheap doesn't have to mean crap.

That being said, I have had a BG380 for several years now and like it a lot. Mine has nice fit and finish, shoots fairly accurately, and has functioned reliably.

for a pocket gun I tried a .380 bodyguard, then a 9mm shield, but those get left in the safe, and if I pocket carry it usually is the Sig 938. I just enjoy shooting with it more than the plastic S&W's , which means I have more practice with it. In particular, the 1911 style trigger is just a better feel for me. But I'm partial to 1911's.

I bought a second Bodyguard 380 last week. $274.99 . Good value imo. They are meant to be BUG or summer carry guns, so I wont shoot it a lot. My 2014 version had over 1600 rounds without issue. The new one has a metal magazine catch. (My old one was all plastic) Seems S&W got lots of complaints and service repairs so they changed them?.

I bought a second Bodyguard 380 last week. $274.99 . Good value imo. They are meant to be BUG or summer carry guns, so I wont shoot it a lot. My 2014 version had over 1600 rounds without issue. The new one has a metal magazine catch. (My old one was all plastic) Seems S&W got lots of complaints and service repairs so they changed them?.

Mine gen 1 is really tight while trying to slap in a mag with one in the pipe, so I'd imagine the plastic mag catches take a beating. Maybe the new gen are better than the first gen. I've had tons of light primer strikes and FTF/battery issues. I'm sure someone would be able to replace a few key springs to get it working 100% again, but that someone most likely won't be me. In fact, I think I'm going to post mine on the classifieds for cheap money considering I'm not going to sugar coat the issues I've had.

The only reason I sold mine is because I want three dot NS instead of the big dot NS I currently had. I also ran into some failure to extract issues but I found most of those were easily preventable with proper cleaning...it was my first firearm etc.etc. I do recommend these guys as nice EDC guns but if you're looking for something to put 300-400 rounds through via mag dumping on the range consider a full-size Beretta or a Sig.

firing pin broke in mine, only has about 200rds through it, if that. Don't dry fire these, they are notorious for broken firing pins. I called s&w and they mailed me a new one, I told them I was more than comfortable changing it myself. It's a pocket gun, no more, it usually goes bang, it's convenient to carry, but otherwise, they are pretty crappy.

I went with the LCP years back. I don't think that gun has ever malfunctioned on me, and I've put all kinds of different rounds though it. I rarely carry it anymore but I have full confidence in it to go bang if I needed it to. Usually it's on my ankle at a wedding or a funeral (the only times I get dressed up nice and tuck my shirt in)

Back
Top Bottom