• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W Customer Service? Will they muck with a non-MA trigger?

So a friend of mine has a brand new S&W shield that came through with sights that are incorrectly installed (shifted to the right). As a result, the sigths can't be adjusted to point of aim (and the gun shoots 3" left at 25'.) The gun has been upgraded to a decent 6.5# non-ma trigger. So does anybody here in MA have experience with S&W CS? Will they change his trigger back to a 10#+ MA trigger if he sends it in for the sight fix?

All comes down to is it a stock trigger configuration. It's not S+W's job to muck with aftermarket parts or voided warranty issues.

You may want to consider Gartman Arms for their gunsmithing services, B+K, or even Shawsheen.

They should not touch anything having to do with the trigger unless asked. Anyone with a padded vice and a brass punch can drift the rear sight back to center. They should note however that the sight should only be drifted out left to right as the dovetail has a slight taper.

Good luck.

if the sight is drifted to the right and the POI is to the left, then OP must be talking about the front sight.

many gunsmiths, shops and general folks have a press or vice/punch to drift the front sight. i would say sending it to S&W just for that issue is over-the-top. My M&P 45 front sight was like 5 mm to the right as well....just drifted it myself. problem solved.

So a friend of mine has a brand new S&W shield that came through with sights that are incorrectly installed (shifted to the right). As a result, the sigths can't be adjusted to point of aim (and the gun shoots 3" left at 25'.) The gun has been upgraded to a decent 6.5# non-ma trigger. So does anybody here in MA have experience with S&W CS? Will they change his trigger back to a 10#+ MA trigger if he sends it in for the sight fix?

Why don't you just have a local smith fix it for you instead? Shipping a gun back to the factory for an easily fixable sight issue is kinda dumb.

-Mike

Put the slide in a vice, padded with a rag. Use a brass punch and a hammer to drift the sight. Time spent: 5 minutes.

Put the slide in a vice, padded with a rag. Use a brass punch and a hammer to drift the sight. Time spent: 5 minutes.

This... although at least at one point you may have needed a big hammer.... people used to bitch about the shield sights being tough.

-Mike

This is the front sight. I've done dozens of sight replacements so I know what needs to be done and how to do it. I gave it my best. A punch was tried. Then heat and a good quality sight pusher. It won't budge at all. It even broke the sight pusher. I've never seen one this stubborn. Anything that requires more force risks damaging the finish. It's going back at this point.

Last edited:
Chances are the sight was removed to do an apex trigger and was not put back properly

Some people have bitched about the rears on the shields being that stuck from the factory though, wouldn't be the first time. From what I remember they ram the damned things into the slides using a jig and some kind of piston, so even if the dovetail was way too tight nobody would ever notice that was assembling the guns.

-Mike

Like any big company. they won't do any more than they have to. Time is money. They will fix the sight and send it back without looking at anything else.

Like any big company. they won't do any more than they have to. Time is money. They will fix the sight and send it back without looking at anything else.

You'd think this, but I once sent a 642 back to S&W for a problem not related to the trigger, and they replaced the Wolf reduced power main and rebound slide springs I put in it with stock springs, and didn't return the aftermarket parts to me.

You'd think this, but I once sent a 642 back to S&W for a problem not related to the trigger, and they replaced the Wolf reduced power main and rebound slide springs I put in it with stock springs, and didn't return the aftermarket parts to me.

Big Al,

I agree with Eddie on this one. I had a problem with a M&P 15/22, the bolt came apart because a small pin that retains the extractor broke. I called them and asked for a new pin. They asked me to ship the whole gun in. I suggested I send in only the bolt. They insisted on the whole gun. I suggested only the upper, they again insisted on the whole gun.

I think this is more driven by a concern for liability than saving a few bucks on parts or shipping.

Don

You're right Don, I didn't think of that. If they received a gun back that was made non compliant, I guess they would have to send it back compliant again for liability purposes. They should return the parts though.

Interesting. I sent a 642 back to them for some timing work, about 5 years ago, and they didn't touch my "enhanced" trigger? Shipped through Four Seasons, if that made any difference?

Back
Top Bottom