• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W M&P 380 SHIELD EZ - to - like (Pic heavy)

In case you missed it, S&W has been advertising a new addition to the M&P line, the M&P 380 Shield EZ, a gun specifically "designed to be easy to use, featuring an easy-to-rack slide, easy-to-load magazine, and easy-to-clean design." I like the idea, as I run into more and more people these days with limited dexterity/arm strength who have trouble running the slide on a smaller auto. I've seen a number of people fight to lock the slide back on a M&P Shield, for example. My wife, a beginner-to-intermediate shooter, likes the Shield size and feel, but struggles mightily manipulating the slide. (I should note I believe slide manipulation is all about leverage and proper body mechanics, rather than arm strength, but that takes some time to lean and practice to instill). Coupled with the fact I provide M&P 22 Compacts when teaching new shooters (and in my NRA BP course), the concept of an easy-to-rack, soft shooting (.380) gun in the same family has a lot of appeal. And, since it had been a whole day since I had bought a gun (hahaha. Literally), I decided to jump on one. (Big shout-out to Nick and Doug at NH Guns and Ammo in Londonderry.)

The gun:
IMG_6854.JPG
Lots to notice here. It's a single-stack, 8+1 .380. M&P 2.0 design features. One-piece trigger. Grip safety. M&P 2.0 texture pattern (but not as aggressive). Thumb safety. We'll talk about them each later.

The gun comes in both with or without thumb safety. Although my Shield and full-sized M&Ps are sans-safety, I decided to go with the thumb safety on this. My primary teaching .22 is the M&P 22 Compact, which has the same thumb safety setup, and I like the commonality for transitioning students from one gun to the next. For carry, for an experienced shooter, different story.

Size-wize, it's damn close to the M&P 22 Compact, and to the Shield (with 8-rd mag). Here's a group photo:

IMG_6851.JPG
Clockwise from upper left: M&P 9, M&P 22 Compact, M&P 380 Shield EZ, M&P 9 Shield.

You can see it's pretty close to the size of the M&P 22 Compact (upper/right):

IMG_6856.JPG

IMG_6857.JPG
And roughly the same size as the Shield, especially with the 8 rd mag:

IMG_6899.JPG
IMG_6900.JPG

OK, so one-piece trigger.

IMG_6891.JPG

The typical M&P line is a two-piece, with the lower "half" acting as the "trigger safety."

IMG_6892.JPG
I'm not sure of the design rationale, but it might be that this is, in fact, not a striker-fired gun. It is an internal hammer gun.

IMG_6895.JPG
Hammer up:

IMG_6896.JPG
But, then, the M&P 22 Compact is an internal hammer gun, with a two-piece trigger, so what do I know. Note, too, in the picture, the prominent over-travel stop molded into the frame.

And, it's got a grip safety:

IMG_6887.JPG
I wasn't insane about it at first, but I figure it's part of the reason could use a one-piece trigger, and it depresses with surprisingly little force. And, unlike my XDs (and some 1911s), you just can't grip the gun without depressing the safety. You don't have to have your hand just right, or hold your tongue a certain way. Grabbing the gun depresses the safety without you noticing. Also, the grip safety doesn't lock the slide, like the XD, which is a PITA I've seen more than one shooter struggle with.

The gun is advertised as "easy to rack," which is certainly is. I gave it to an experienced female shooter who normally carries a Shield, and she damn near tore the slide off the gun. This "easy" is accomplished by 1) a lighter recoil spring (it "racks" with about the same force as the M&P 22 Compact) and 2) an innovative slide design. Not only are the scallops on the slide pronounced, but check out the rear of the slide:

IMG_6888.JPG
See the "wings" at the rear of the slide? It makes grabbing and holding the slide much easier. Clever design.

Speaking of clever design, I like the loaded chamber indicator:

IMG_6884.JPG
and the "easy load" magazine has thumb tabs on the side, like you see on many .22 mags:

IMG_6886.JPG
Loading the mag is...well, easy.

Couple of other interesting features: you don't have to pull the trigger/release the sear to remove the slide, the rear sight is windage adjustable via a set screw in the bottom of the slide you reach by locking the slide back, and the mag release is reversible.

About 100 rounds down range yesterday without a hiccup. The gun is soft shooting, as you'd expect. Softer than a G42, in my opinion, but that's subjective. Certainly softer than my LCP. It's a fun gun to shoot, which no one ever said about the LCP.

OVERALL: I decided a while back to consolidate to one family of pistols, and settled on the M&P line. (Got rid of my last beloved XD this week.) My EDC has been a Shield for some time. I'm really starting to like the concept of a "family," from .22LR to full-size, with common manual of arms, look-and-feel, etc. I think this new Shield 380 falls nicely into that line. I think shooters like my wife will like it, from a standpoint of being easy to shoot (.380) and manipulate (rack/load). As an instructor, I feel it fills a gap between .22LR and full-size guns, and for shooters with limited hand strength or dexterity, I think it's a hit.

I warned you this was pic heavy.

it's bigger than I thought it would be, probably helps with racking and recoil. nice review

I'm not an M&P fan but IMHO this is actually in the realm of "good ideas" and, I'll probably take shit for saying this, but it is a needed product and a radically underaddressed
segment- It is kinda sad when most of these folks are either stuck with struggling, or end up with a revolver, or a weak sprung auto like a 22 because they can't operate
anything else more reliably.

There are a lot of people out there with hand injuries, severe arthritis, etc, or just plain weak arm strength, etc.. or adult women with arms built like 10 year old children...
and using most semis for a lot of these folks is a challenge, and in some cases, possibly even a deterrent. My father bashed the shit out of his hand in a bike accident several years ago, and while he can still work his 1911, its tougher for him than it needs to be. I also know a guy who, although he won't admit it (I didn't pry) quite obviously has some kind of nerve or muscle damage in one of his hands due to the level of difficulty he seems to have working normal handgun controls...

-Mike

I like the thumb tab on the mag. being a girly man, those shield mags are impossible to load. Only reason I bought a magula was because of owning a shield.

I was playing around with one today at shooter supply in Westport ma. I was impressed with how easy it was to rack. I’ll likely purchase one when it is mass compliant for the old lady. Great post

Looks like they knocked off Rugers SR series LCIs, which are good for people that can't see into tiny witness holes or the extractor slot and can't easily perform press checks. The ergonomics of the slide and the magazines I think will trickle down into other designs. Nice to see that S&W is looking to capture untapped markets and innovate.

Also a good thing to know is there is a version of this gun with even less junk on it.... there's another one that has the grip safety but no manual safety lever, and I think no mag safety too, or at least the one I dry fired didnt have one in it...

-Mike

My sister has trouble with racking the slide so I get that some people have an issue.
I never realized it till she tried a few of my guns and couldn’t do it. Fumbled with loading mags as well.
Frustrates me that her private lessons have not addressed basics but at least she is trying.

Good write up.

I just really don't get this thing.

I get the whole easier to rack thing.. why the frame and grip safety? Why the internal hammer? Why the mag safety?

I feel like if your a gun novice, and your too feeble to rack a slide. The last thing you'd want is 3 different safeties to worry about when your being assaulted.

Just make a shield in 380 with an easier to rack slide.. no safeties. Bam you'd sell a crap ton of them.

IMO a good hammerless snubbie in .38 gets the nod all day over this thing for self defense.

Grip safety because the two part trigger safety isn't there on this version of the M&P and light trigger without one on a carry gun would be a bad idea. The internal hammer requires less effort to cock against than a spring loaded striker. Magazine safety because all M&Ps have them standard.

Grip safety because the two part trigger safety isn't there on this version of the M&P and light trigger without one on a carry gun would be a bad idea. The internal hammer requires less effort to cock against than a spring loaded striker. Magazine safety because all M&Ps have them standard.

My 380 EZ has no mag safety.

Yeah.. I have a 1911 that will run everything from steel case Tula to +p Federal HSTs that an infant could rack. I feel like you could get the slide rack poundage down without making some weird frankengun.

Maybe they will sell a bunch of them.. but I doubt it. It looks like an over engineered POS.

Good write up.

I just really don't get this thing.

I get the whole easier to rack thing.. why the frame and grip safety? Why the internal hammer? Why the mag safety?

I feel like if your a gun novice, and your too feeble to rack a slide. The last thing you'd want is 3 different safeties to worry about when your being assaulted.

Just make a shield in 380 with an easier to rack slide.. no safeties. Bam you'd sell a crap ton of them.

IMO a good hammerless snubbie in .38 gets the nod all day over this thing for self defense.

There aren't "three different safeties to worry about." There's a grip safety, which I guarantee you will not notice, and cannot help but depress when you grip the gun, and a thumb safety that's exactly like the thumb safety on the full-size M&P. And there's no mag safety. So, really nothing more than than a Shield with a thumb safety. In fact, the safety is much easier to engage/disengage than the miniature one on a Shield. And, you can get it sans thumb-safety if you want. I explained above why I chose the thumb safety model.

As far as a J-frame in .38, I'm going out on a limb here and guess you don't teach new shooters much. I have a J-frame (Model 042) with which I have a pretty fair amount of experience. It's my primary hot-weather pocket carry gun. I've shot it a lot, and I have confidence in my ability to defend myself with it. I've never liked shooting it. It is a necessary chore I have to perform because I carry the gun. I have never said "Oh, I think I'll take this out for a fun afternoon of shooting." With +P ammo, I find it roughly the same as simply hitting my wrist with a hammer handle. Even with an Apex spring kit in the gun, the trigger is heavy, and the sights are a challenge. It's the last gun I'd choose to put in the hands of a new shooter. Those new shooters who insisted on shooting it hated it.

The .380EZ, on the other hand, is easy (dare I say fun) to shoot. It's easy to manipulate, and shares a common manual of arms with the M&P line for easy transition if one wants. It's not for everybody (what gun is?), but it's got a lot of merit.

ETA: And, they're selling a buttload of them.

Yeah.. I have a 1911 that will run everything from steel case Tula to +p Federal HSTs that an infant could rack. I feel like you could get the slide rack poundage down without making some weird frankengun.

Your spring isn't very heavy then, that gun is probably battering the shit out of itself with full power ammo. A lot of guns come stock oversprung and its one thing to throw one a couple pounds lower in it, but the only guns
that should be that easy are either raceguns or 9mm 1911s.

-Mike

Its a full
Your spring isn't very heavy then, that gun is probably battering the shit out of itself with full power ammo. A lot of guns come stock oversprung and its one thing to throw one a couple pounds lower in it, but the only guns
that should be that easy are either raceguns or 9mm 1911s.

-Mike

Really? tell me more.

Its a full custom single stack. It had over 22k rounds of 45acp through it just last year. No signs of battering the shit out of itself yet...

There aren't "three different safeties to worry about." There's a grip safety, which I guarantee you will not notice, and cannot help but depress when you grip the gun, and a thumb safety that's exactly like the thumb safety on the full-size M&P. And there's no mag safety. So, really nothing more than than a Shield with a thumb safety. In fact, the safety is much easier to engage/disengage than the miniature one on a Shield. And, you can get it sans thumb-safety if you want. I explained above why I chose the thumb safety model.

As far as a J-frame in .38, I'm going out on a limb here and guess you don't teach new shooters much. I have a J-frame (Model 042) with which I have a pretty fair amount of experience. It's my primary hot-weather pocket carry gun. I've shot it a lot, and I have confidence in my ability to defend myself with it. I've never liked shooting it. It is a necessary chore I have to perform because I carry the gun. I have never said "Oh, I think I'll take this out for a fun afternoon of shooting." With +P ammo, I find it roughly the same as simply hitting my wrist with a hammer handle. Even with an Apex spring kit in the gun, the trigger is heavy, and the sights are a challenge. It's the last gun I'd choose to put in the hands of a new shooter. Those new shooters who insisted on shooting it hated it.

The .380EZ, on the other hand, is easy (dare I say fun) to shoot. It's easy to manipulate, and shares a common manual of arms with the M&P line for easy transition if one wants. It's not for everybody (what gun is?), but it's got a lot of merit.

Your right its the ultimate handgun. o_O

Really? tell me more.

Its a full custom single stack. It had over 22k rounds of 45acp through it just last year. No signs of battering the shit out of itself yet...

Something with a really light recoil spring that fires a 45 just isn't normal for a 1911. 16-18 lbs is the standard, below 12 its likely to start getting weird. If it works for you I guess it works, though. In reality the only guns that are usually sprung that light are things like HK USPs where they have a 2 stage spring... the 2nd big spring acts as a buffer...

-Mike

One of my dealer friends had like 3 of these last week and now he only has 1 left, and he's not a huge volume shop... so they are selling...

-Mike

Got to play with one at Shooting Supply a few weeks ago but it's 'law enforcement only' until the list is updated.
Wife really liked it because of the ease of racking the slide.

Mods, Please merge this with scottS thread here: S&W M&P 380 SHIELD EZ - to - like (Pic heavy)

Thanks,

~Enbloc

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have an older lady friend that is interested in this platform because of the supposed limited-strength requirements to load/rack/operate this semi. Any opinions, comments, thoughts buy current owners/shooters? Looking at the no-thumb safety.

Thanks,
~Matt
180023_01_lg.jpg

Last edited:
There are other threads in here. I held one, free state trigger was light and crisp. I almost racked the slide off the pistol, it is really easy to rack. The follower lever probably makes loading the mag a breeze. Perfect for ladies and limp wristed.

My review is here.

I really like the weapon, and it's been a hit with every shooter I've introduced it to.

As I said in my review, I gave it to an experienced female shooter who normally EDC's a Shield, and she Conan'd the slide so hard she damn near hit herself in the face with her support hand. She was expecting slightly more resistance. :)

Easy to rack, load (magazine design), shoot (size/weight/caliber), and fits nicely into the M&P line up. I use it for newer shooters as a "step up" gun from the S&W M&P 22 Compact. I'm a huge fan.

Crap. Forgot about the 10 pound Mass trigger. Well there must be a spring kit for that... [smile]

Maybe if she gets one and can't pull the trigger well, she can sue the state with an Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) complaint. [rofl2]

I think you can order the real trigger springs from s&w. Not sure if there are aftermarket triggers available for it yet?? It’s fairly new and probably different trigger from shield and other m&p pistols since it has the grip safety....

Crap. Forgot about the 10 pound Mass trigger. Well there must be a spring kit for that... [smile]

Maybe if she gets one and can't pull the trigger well, she can sue the state with an Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) complaint. [rofl2]

Don't laugh. If one filed such a lawsuit in USDC and got a judge that wasn't scared of gunz, some of that BS could be removed from the laws/regs.

Back
Top Bottom