• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W M&P 380 SHIELD EZ - to - like (Pic heavy)

My friend's wife has one for her EDC and loves it! It is up there among the top sellers in its class all-time. That alone speaks volumes

I've had one for a while, but haven't had the chance to shoot it yet. My only comment is that I don't understand why they call it a Shield. Between the grip safety, and it being hammer fired, instead of striker fired. It's almost like it has more in common with the Bodyguard than it does the Shield.

Crap. Forgot about the 10 pound Mass trigger. Well there must be a spring kit for that... [smile]

Maybe if she gets one and can't pull the trigger well, she can sue the state with an Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) complaint. [rofl2]

Why would it have a 10 lb trigger, is S&W being stupid?

Why would it have a 10 lb trigger, is S&W being stupid?

Not a 10 pound trigger. A 10 pound trigger pull. Massachusetts requires all new guns sold in the Commonwealth by a licensed dealer to have a 10 pound trigger pull
to supposedly protect firing by a very young child. Which is of course next to impossible. If a child cannot pull a 10 pound trigger, it more than likely can't even pick it up.
The S&W M&P Shield EZ may change that though...

...not that I want any kids hurt.

A 10 pound trigger pull. Massachusetts requires all new guns sold in the Commonwealth by a licensed dealer to have a 10 pound trigger pull
are they equipped with the mass trigger for sure? not an expert on massachusetts attorney general nit picking but....if it came equipped with a grip safety, which this has, it wouldn't need the 10 lb trigger, would it? no? yes?

I don't think Mass cares how many safety devices a firearm has.
They want their 10 pounds of finger flesh.

I don't think it could even get on "The List" without it...

Not a 10 pound trigger. A 10 pound trigger pull. Massachusetts requires all new guns sold in the Commonwealth by a licensed dealer to have a 10 pound trigger pull
to supposedly protect firing by a very young child. Which is of course next to impossible. If a child cannot pull a 10 pound trigger, it more than likely can't even pick it up.
The S&W M&P Shield EZ may change that though...

...not that I want any kids hurt.

I thought the rule was manual safety or 10 lb trigger. And there are MA compliant guns like VP9 that don’t have a 10 lb trigger, or a safety.

My understanding is some manufacturers are misreading the rules and putting unnecessary stuff on a the gun.

My understanding is some manufacturers are misreading the rules and putting unnecessary stuff on a the gun.

This may be the case. I have only just begun looking into this platform and I've read about people swapping parts to make the trigger like the free-state guns.
So I don't know. Does this pistol come with a <5# trigger sold in Massachusetts?

Anyone with a M&P Shield EZ please post in.

And thanks Varmint for keeping me honest. [smile]

~Matt

I thought the rule was manual safety or 10 lb trigger. And there are MA compliant guns like VP9 that don’t have a 10 lb trigger, or a safety.

This. The Sig P320 has the same trigger that the free-state 320s have but it has a manual safety and mass-holes in the barrel hood to act as LCI. This makes it MA compliant.

This may be the case. I have only just begun looking into this platform and I've read about people swapping parts to make the trigger like the free-state guns.
not knocking anyone here, but I think a lot of people as a matter of course swap out trigger parts just because...and you know what, i'd bet most people wouldn't know a 6lb trigger from a 10. I said most people and me included. I got pissy when I took my shield out and as I pressed the trigger, it just never seemed to want to break and my front sight kept moving off the target. better call saul..or lou as the case may be.

So I don't know. Does this pistol come with a <5# trigger sold in Massachusetts?
I don't know too many carry pistols that come from the factory with 5 lb trigger pulls, especially a sub $500 one. personally, I do ~6.5 lbs on a carry gun if i'm taking it in to have the trigger done. and it has to be crisp.

but, although not particularly expensive, I have bought 2 new guns in the last couple of years with very good triggers in Massachusetts. both s&w 1911's, a 1911 e series and a 1911sc. both were crisp and broke at 5.4 lbs & 5.6 respectively off the shelf, measured on a lyman gauge. I heard tell, and I can't remember where, that since they had a manual thumb and grip safety, it negated the need for a heavy trigger. again, that's not gospel, just something I heard in passing.

I picked up an EZ (no thumb safety) several month ago so my fiance could shoot with me. She has very weak hands so most of my guns would be out of the question for her, especially since she recently got out of the hospital after a long stay and is building back her strength. I'm looking forward to having her try it out and unfortunately my range time has been zero lately so I can't comment on how it shoots.

My biggest fear when I went to look at the EZ was it having a horrible trigger. I was pleasantly surprised. I don't have any way of measuring it but mine certainly doesn't feel like a 10lb trigger. The EZ trigger seemed very reasonable and the slide was great. I bet my mom with rheumatoid arthritis in her hands could rack it. It was so good I bought it immediately and I don't have any plans to upgrade it.

One of my dealer friends had like 3 of these last week and now he only has 1 left, and he's not a huge volume shop... so they are selling...

-Mike

Some folks here know that I kinda dote on the 1911, .45acp. Last week, the local gunnery, busted my chops to handle this new, Smith and Wesson .380. I have to say it feels really nice in my hand and seems to have all of the good things anybody could want. Since I have a good supply of hot, Buffalo Bore .380 on hand, for the blondes Colt Government .380, I might just pick one up for her, if I can find one with a laser for night carry. The trigger was pretty ok too. Sure wasn't a 10 pound trigger. Maybe a free state gun slipped through the cracks.

Last edited:
If it has 5 or more safeties I don’t think it needs the 10 pound trigger in mass. The little known 5/10 rule. [smile]

Some folks here know that I kinda dote on the 1911, .45acp. Last week, the local gunnery, busted my chops to handle this new, Smith and Wesson .380. I have to say it feels really nice in my hand and seems to have all of the good things anybody could want. Since I have a good supply of hot, Buffalo Bore .380 on hand, for the blondes Colt Government .380, I might just pick one up for her, if I can find one with a laser for night carry. The trigger was pretty ok too. Sure wasn't a 10 pound trigger. Maybe a free state gun slipped through the cracks.

The EZs don’t have the 10lb trigger because of tge safeties. There is also a cool kids version that only has the grip safety on it.

Back
Top Bottom