S&W magazine question

ochmude

Marine Veteran
Posting this question for a friend of mine. He's got a Sigma (SW9VE) and was wondering if magazines for a 5906 would fit. I have no clue about the different generations of S&W pistols and magazine compatibility, so I'm passing this question on to the masses. Thanks!

I'm not sure, but if you're asking to see if you can get hi-caps, preban hicaps are available for the sigmas if you look around.

No. Had the same question a while back and ended up trying at the gun shop. Don't remember why but pre ban hi-cap mags do exist, I found a few just calling local shops.

I sold 2 pre-ban Sigma .40 hi-caps to "Mother Mod" a number of years ago. The larger variety of the Sigma was made pre-9/13/1994 so hi-cap mags exist for it. They fit the V (model that I had) and I'll assume they fit the VE as well.

FWIW, it is extremely simple to identify pre-ban Sigma mags. Pre-ban Sigma mags hold 17 rounds of 9mm or 15 of .40 and have no LE/Mil only markings. The no-ban mags have 16 and 14, respectively. There is also a gap between the baseplate and bottom of the grip that is clearly apparent with the pre-ban mags but not with the no-ban mags.

FWIW, it is extremely simple to identify pre-ban Sigma mags. Pre-ban Sigma mags hold 17 rounds of 9mm or 15 of .40 and have no LE/Mil only markings. The no-ban mags have 16 and 14, respectively. There is also a gap between the baseplate and bottom of the grip that is clearly apparent with the pre-ban mags but not with the no-ban mags.

Which ones have an extended mag floorplate?

I think so too. I remember seeing some 17 round mags beside some 10 round mags and the floorplate extended the mag body a little on the 17. I wasn't sure if that was a setup similar to the +1 extensions you see for Glock mags.

Thanks guys. I passed the info on to my friend. I think he found a deal on 5906 prebans and was hoping that he could capitalize on it with his Sigma. I didn't think it would work, but I told him I'd look into it. .

I found some Sigma mags on here but it is rare to see them. As others have said the prebans are 17rds for 9mm and have a deeper baseplate than the post-ban or 10rds. He could check on the regular gun auction sites as they pop up here and there (some out of staters are confused about the law and will refuse to sell). Usually they run in the $30-$35 range. Keep an eye out and you can find them, but defianetly not G19 mags!

Back
Top Bottom