S&W Model 2214 .22 lr slide stuck

mav

NES Member
A friend asked me to take a look at a .22 pistol he inherited, a S&W Model 2214. It was stored in a safe where humidity wasn’t controlled and wasn’t lubricated. He tried to rack the slide and it got stuck.

Any ideas to unstick this thing? I already gave him the business about humidity and lubrication. Just wondering if this is something I can fix easily for him or should I forward him on to a gunsmith.

Can you confirm it’s unloaded before messing with it?

If so, I’d try spraying penetrant like Kroil on the contact surfaces and let it soak in. Is there visible rust anywhere on it? I’d assume there would be a lot if it’s enough to jam up the slide. I’d also only try hitting it back into battery, not trying to pull the slide back further.

Get it into battery, lube it up, and keep working the slide slowly further and further back until you can fieldstrip. See if you can determine if it’s rust that’s jamming it up vs the recoil spring broken/bound up.

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=sAEB1L2s_N0

is it stuck open? bad news if you cant check if its unloaded. if you can remove the grips i would soak in 50/50 atf and acetone, and a few bumps with a soft mallet onto a leather scrap and pine board. if that doesn't work i would send to a gunsmith.

It was stuck with the slide back. No magazine in it. Was able to verify that it was unloaded. I soaked it in some CLP and then gave it a good whack with a rubber mallet to unstick the slide. Made sure the slide, slide lock, safety and magazine release all worked normally and did a function check. Seems good now.

I’m going to tell him to disassemble it, clean it, ensure there is no rust, lube it, function check it, then maybe he can try to test fire it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess the advice “Hit it harder” applies here [cheers]

Well done!

I’d also have him clean up and inspect the firing pin, channel, etc. Not sure how those are built, but I assume you can remove it. Stuck firing pin = bad kind of surprise.
Bad is a relative term!

Back
Top Bottom