S&W model 439 Semi Auto Broken

What do you think that I should do? I want the frame gone and the serial no. not attached to me any more.
Looking for some sound advice.

This thread is two weeks old now without a resolution. You have several options:

1) As others have said, just keep the frame. What is the big deal about keeping the frame with it still under your name?

2) If you keep the frame and get jammed up for something else, then you have bigger problems than just having a useless frame hanging around in your safe.

3) If the frame is not repairable and someone wants it, give it to them with the understanding that you want to eFA-10 it. Even though the frame is not considered a firearm in MA, you can still eFA-10 it and be done with it. It's no different than a lower AR receiver. Some FFls will want to eFA-10 it and other FFLs don't care (but both still do the 4473 for the feds).

Have you asked anyone to take it with the understanding that you want to eFA-10 it?

What do you think that I should do? I want the frame gone and the serial no. not attached to me any more.

If you sell it off/give it away, you can eFA-10 it to the new person and done.

If you turn it into a PD, I would call FRB, explain the situation and ask which eFA-10 option to choose. There really isn't an appropriate option, so I can't tell you which to use. Also if you turn it into a PD, DEMAND a receipt!

Honestly the receipt attached to your copy of your purchase FA-10 should be adequate to CYA.

This thread is two weeks old now without a resolution. You have several options:

1) As others have said, just keep the frame. What is the big deal about keeping the frame with it still under your name?

2) If you keep the frame and get jammed up for something else, then you have bigger problems than just having a useless frame hanging around in your safe.

3) If the frame is not repairable and someone wants it, give it to them with the understanding that you want to eFA-10 it. Even though the frame is not considered a firearm in MA, you can still eFA-10 it and be done with it. It's no different than a lower AR receiver. Some FFls will want to eFA-10 it and other FFLs don't care (but both still do the 4473 for the feds).

Have you asked anyone to take it with the understanding that you want to eFA-10 it?

So , I guess if anybody is interested in the frame , it is yours but it will be done by a efa10 to you from me and you will own it

If you sell it off/give it away, you can eFA-10 it to the new person and done.

If you turn it into a PD, I would call FRB, explain the situation and ask which eFA-10 option to choose. There really isn't an appropriate option, so I can't tell you which to use. Also if you turn it into a PD, DEMAND a receipt!

Honestly the receipt attached to your copy of your purchase FA-10 should be adequate to CYA.

I am suprised that you being up on all the gun laws that you have not come across this before.Not trying to belittle you but you do come across as an authority on the Ma Gun laws with very strong opnions on what people should do in certain cases. Just my observations, I am not a Lawyer just a educated person.

I am suprised that you being up on all the gun laws that you have not come across this before.Not trying to belittle you but you do come across as an authority on the Ma Gun laws with very strong opnions on what people should do in certain cases. Just my observations, I am not a Lawyer just a educated person.

Well, congratulate yourself because you are the first person who has been fretting over this to this degree. I do know that the "lost" or "stolen" web options are inappropriate and make it look like YOU did something wrong, thus I don't recommend using them.

Since a quite reasonable solution is a receipt attached to the original FA-10, I can't elevate your concern to the level necessitate my pestering the Director of FRB about this one issue as an "emergency". I like to collect a number of questions before I bother her for answers and since I saw Michaela 3 weeks ago, my bucket of unanswered questions is now empty.

"Problems" like yours is created by people writing the software that have no clue what the possible needs by gun owners are. I do wish I had the opportunity to meet with the FRB's software developers to go thru the online forms and offer suggestions for productive changes, but alas that is not really likely.

Why would he care. Anything you can legally do to make the database inaccurate is a good thing. Its practically your duty as a MA gun owner.

Don

"Problems" like yours is created by people writing the software that have no clue what the possible needs by gun owners are. I do wish I had the opportunity to meet with the FRB's software developers to go thru the online forms and offer suggestions for productive changes, but alas that is not really likely.

As Don stated, and in all fairness to MA gun owners, why would we want an FRB that has a usable database? [laugh]

Well, congratulate yourself because you are the first person who has been fretting over this to this degree. I do know that the "lost" or "stolen" web options are inappropriate and make it look like YOU did something wrong, thus I don't recommend using them.

Since a quite reasonable solution is a receipt attached to the original FA-10, I can't elevate your concern to the level necessitate my pestering the Director of FRB about this one issue as an "emergency". I like to collect a number of questions before I bother her for answers and since I saw Michaela 3 weeks ago, my bucket of unanswered questions is now empty.

Please keep this thread in mind, it may happen more in the future as guns get old and do brake beyond repair. Especally the alloy frames of all the semi auto produced in the 80's and 90's before plastic. There no replacement parts for them. I want to Thank you for your reply's. Joe McMullen

Please keep this thread in mind, it may happen more in the future as guns get old and do brake beyond repair. Especally the alloy frames of all the semi auto produced in the 80's and 90's before plastic. There no replacement parts for them. I want to Thank you for your reply's. Joe McMullen

I've already suggested some changes in the software to Michaela, which she noted but no promise when she gets budget money to add/change things short of another major law change (not likely in the near future). I will offer my services to help ID areas that could use improvement to her, but I don't believe much will happen for years to come, if at all.

I've already suggested some changes in the software to Michaela, which she noted but no promise when she gets budget money to add/change things short of another major law change (not likely in the near future). I will offer my services to help ID areas that could use improvement to her, but I don't believe much will happen for years to come, if at all.

Thanks,tjtoolbox.

You obviously do not understand MA system. The serial number will always come up under you now. It's a transfer-in system. Not a registry.
Pic??

Anything is repairable. Too bad the OP moved so fast. (2 days from statement of problem to everything is sold) Thats a nice old gun. A good welder can make it stronger than it was when it came from the factory.

I have no idea why anyone would send a frame to the Police. Nail it to the wall in your garage as a reminder of your follies.

Don

p.s. Its not a firearm per MA law, so no storage issues.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Well Don , before it was sent to S&W the seller took the gun to some very good gunsmiths and said that it was NOT repairable. Then I sent it to S&W and the told me the same thing and that did not have a replacement frame for it as it is a second Gen. gun. So I parted it out to recoupe my losses. I was not incorrect in my premise that it was not repairable. It is just a BARE piece of metal to me with no future purpose. If you know anyone that is interested in it let me know.
Joe [email protected]

Re-read your original post. You only mention the attempt to have S&W repair it. There is no mention of it being viewed by gunsmiths. Even then, I'd be skeptical. I know many gunsmiths who are not expert TIG welders.

It may not be cost effective to repair but someone with some aluminum TIG ability and machining skill could bring it back to life.

Unless the crack impinges on the serial number, then it may not be possible to repair without incurring the wrath of the ATF.

If you have to obliterate the SN as part of a repair, you can get a waiver from the ATF with respect to restamping it somewhere else on the firearm, or restamping it in the same place once the work is done.

- - - Updated - - -

TJ - you may want to remove your email from this post. Spam-bots spyder this forum and you could end up getting deluged with spam for having your email out in the open.

don

Back
Top Bottom