• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W Model 66

I picked up a S&W M 66-1 the other day from a local dealer. I was well aware at the time of the stories about using .357 Mag loads other than the 158 grain and cracking forcing cones. Since I mostly got it for IDPA, I will be shooting mostly .38 rounds and was not bothered by this since the frame is just right for my purpose. I was just curious as to how many of you have the 66 and who have seen this issue first hand....

I have an old model 66 that has seen 10k rounds and the thing looks like new and it still shoots better than me. Don't worry.

I had a M19 that didn't crack but the end was visibly worn from the lighter loads. Fortunately it could be recut. S&W doesn't have any more barrels but they will install it if you find a donor.

I have a model 13 that gets fed the occasional 125gr. load with no problems. It usually eats 158 though and is still tight, no forcing cone issues or cracks. .38 +p is a lot of fun to shoot through it.

66.jpg

66-5 with many many rounds thru it...no problems yet.

I have 20 years worth of ammo through my 66-4, tight as the day I got it, and more accurate than I'll ever be. Taken what ever load I put in it with out issue.

I've had a S&W 66-1 for years and have shot all kinds of 357 mag rnds through it without any problems. Looks and function just like the first day I got it. Love that wheelgun.

My 19-4 is a great gun, love it. After 2 years of auto's I picked it up a few weeks ago, again. I was hitting 9" plates at 35 yards w/ 158gr JSP handloads and old Remington 158gr. JSP. Fun Gun! BTW, It has always shot 125gr HP's real well. I stopped shooting them about 10 years ago, but still keep a box for "someday".

357.jpg

Last edited:
66-1 is a primary carry for me. It was an off duty gun in a former life and was used for training. It was shot (A LOT) with SuperVel 125gr JSP. Other than normal armorer maintenance, only problem I ever had was a broken bolt. It was difficult opening it up loaded but got it done, replaced the bolt from my parts kit and have not had another problem since.

Also had a 19-2 that had well over 10,000 full magnum loads with no problems

Back
Top Bottom