S&W Tells Nuns to F*** Off

"
SPRINGFIELD — The parent company of Smith & Wesson rebuffed a group of shareholding nuns who asked the company to do more to fight gun violence saying — in part — that its gun customers wouldn’t stand for it.

“The Company’s reputation as a strong defender of the Second Amendment is not worth risking for a vague goal of improving the company’s reputation among non-customers or special interest groups with an anti-Second Amendment agenda,” management at Springfield-based American Outdoor Brands Corporation wrote in a 20-page response issued Friday.

In 2018, frustrated by incessant gun violence, mass shootings and a lack of dialogue with gun makers, a coalition of nuns from around the country bought small amounts of stock in American Outdoor Brands and competitor Sturm, Ruger & Co.

The nuns, led by Sister Judy Byron, a member of the Adrian Dominican Sisters and director of the Northwest Coalition for Responsible Investments in Seattle, put referendums on ballots for shareholders meetings at both companies requiring that management write reports about gun safety efforts and how they could be improved.

Both measures passed over management’s objections. Ruger has not yet released its report.
Smith & Wesson parent rebuffs shareholder nuns; says S&W guns used in violent crimes not hurting reputation

You need to read the entire report. Almost every page jams a finger in the eye of "Proponent," the activists who pushed the resolution calling for the report. It's an excellent "F- You" response.

ETA: a few of my favorites, just from the first few pages.

"Moreover, AOBC disagrees that it must adopt elements of a gun control agenda, or otherwise appease factions that are fundamentally opposed to private gun ownership, in order to prove that the Company understands and is taking appropriate steps to mitigate the risks that accompany manufacturing firearms in the United States. In this context, reputation risk management is not an endeavor meaningfully associated with winning the support of one’s detractors. "

"Properly addressing firearm safety measures also requires a real understanding of the products. It does little to advance safety to address issues that have little basis in reality."

"These facts make it obvious to a reasonable observer that a focus on so-called “assault rifles” simply has nothing to do with the stated safety objectives of those who would restrict the sale of this style of rifle."

Last edited:
You need to read the entire report. Almost every page jams a finger in the eye of "Proponent," the activists who pushed the resolution calling for the report. It's an excellent "F- You" response.
Love it, Nuns and Religious leaders need to stay in their lane and clean up their houses before they start a crusade on a subject they no nothing about.

Why don't they stick to protesting record labels for explicit lyrics? Or better yet, how about they protest record labels for the demeaning portrayal of women???? Maybe buy some McD's shares and complain about the evils of the french fry?

Why don't they stick to protesting record labels for explicit lyrics? Or better yet, how about they protest record labels for the demeaning portrayal of women???? Maybe buy some McD's shares and complain about the evils of the french fry?
How about they protest the Catholic churches coverup of pedophile Priests and sexual abuse of Nuns and minors? Pathetic!

Someone at the new S&W remembers what happened back in the 90s when the old S&W caved in to demands from Clinton and Menino.

I recall stopping at 2100 Roosevelt Avenue in 1999 (I think) and finding front gate open, parking lot empty, and no one at reception. When I finally found someone, they told me that employment had gone from several thousand to a couple of hundred.

I'm no fan of the new S&W, but at least someone has picked up on the lesson of history that appeasement doesn't work.

Someone at the new S&W remembers what happened back in the 90s when the old S&W caved in to demands from Clinton and Menino.

I recall stopping at 2100 Roosevelt Avenue in 1999 (I think) and finding front gate open, parking lot empty, and no one at reception. When I finally found someone, they told me that employment had gone from several thousand to a couple of hundred.

I'm no fan of the new S&W, but at least someone has picked up on the lesson of history that appeasement doesn't work.
Hopefully.

Oh, they remember, alright. From the report:

"If anything, experience has taught that the very actions Proponent suggests AOBC employ to mitigate risk are the ones that would cause the greatest reputational and financial harm to AOBC. Even the perception among the Company’s customers that AOBC is undermining their Second Amendment rights would cause immediate and possibly irreparable damage, as it did 19 years ago. The Smith & Wesson brand almost ceased to exist as a result of the same measures advocated by Proponent in the Resolution. Other manufacturers and retailers have suffered damaged reputations when they have been perceived as undermining the Second Amendment rights of firearm owners and purchasers."

I’d like to know where the nuns are getting their money to buy shares of these companies. Track the money and you might find something is off. I would be more than a little pissed if I found out the money I put in the collection basket every Sunday was going to fund a political agenda.
Soros? Bloomberg?

How about they protest the Catholic churches coverup of pedophile Priests and sexual abuse of Nuns and minors? Pathetic!

Well that would be too easy, wouldn't it?

Nuns buying stocks. Reminds me of the Beardstown Ladies. Wrote a best selling book. Used to "hold court" monthly or something for DIY investors to ask their advice. They were SO smart they beat everyone's returns. . . . . provided you counted their additional-paid-in-capital as gains and not as basis. ROFL!!!! They went from Famous to Zero pretty damned quick.

I’d like to know where the nuns are getting their money to buy shares of these companies. Track the money and you might find something is off. I would be more than a little pissed if I found out the money I put in the collection basket every Sunday was going to fund a political agenda.
That’s exactly why for anything other than a baptism, wedding, or funeral you won’t find this confirmed former catholic stepping foot in any catholic house of hipocracy.

IMO they should be paying taxes just like the rest of us. Fing hipocrates, just like demoncrats.

do I dare....boycott nuns! [angry2]

Hell no, not while they're wearing min-skirts now!

3798fd3d906354b1335d683ca2db64fe.jpg

That’s exactly why for anything other than a baptism, wedding, or funeral you won’t find this confirmed former catholic stepping foot in any catholic house of hipocracy.

IMO they should be paying taxes just like the rest of us. Fing hipocrates, just like demoncrats.
Yup, me too. I did 10 yrs in Catholic school which was good for me but the Church is way to corrupt now. They're all about CYA and not weeding out the bad priests. The Catholic church is dying in North America and Europe, they need to allow Priests to marry and allow women to be Priests. Who the hell wants to sign up for a life of celibacy?

Back
Top Bottom