• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sabot Shooters

Rye

Anyone have any experience and opinions of these?

Browning BXS 12 Gauge Ammo 12 Gauge 2-3/4" 1 oz Copper Sabot Slug Lead-Free

I haven't been able to find the Remy Copper solids. Supposedly they are the best starting point for my setup...Remy 870 cantilever. I know bad timing. Should have been looking well before deer season was so close.

Anyone have any experience and opinions of these?

Browning BXS 12 Gauge Ammo 12 Gauge 2-3/4" 1 oz Copper Sabot Slug Lead-Free
Shotguns all shoot slugs with different results in accuracy.....even guns of the same model. Buy a few different kinds and test in your gun.

When i was looking for more Remy cooper solids last year i was told they had stopped making them. Bummer cuz i was scoped in on those. Had to try few diff brands to find a new load that worked well in my gun.

When i was looking for more Remy cooper solids last year i was told they had stopped making them. Bummer cuz i was scoped in on those. Had to try few diff brands to find a new load that worked well in my gun.
I wish Remy would bring back the buckhammer. The basically a 1 ounce wadcutter. Those worked amazing in a rifled barrel at 1/4 the cost of sabots.

I have a bunch of boxes of Copper Solids left over from when my Dad hunted. His 11-87 liked them and they performed well. I would consider selling them, but can't give them away.

Both my guns shot best with Hornady's.

My slug gun loves the SSTs, but the light fields, although they’re totally different weight and velocity impact close enough to 100 yards to not even touch the scope.

I have a bunch of boxes of Copper Solids left over from when my Dad hunted. His 11-87 liked them and they performed well. I would consider selling them, but can't give them away.

Both my guns shot best with Hornady's.

(not sure if directed at me, I'm using a 20 ga) After poorly shooting at a buck this past November 19 I went to the range. found that the scope I had changed out 2 years ago wasn't really zeroed in and spent a box+ getting it back on target. I went to Cabelas and bought a selection of sabots. That's when I learned that the Cu solids were not being produced. I had used the solid lead Buckhammer previously mentioned. they were good, but hadn't seen them for years so I switched to the Cu. I found that the Hornady Custom Lite had the best grouping, but were shooting 4" above the Cu. will switch to those when I go through the last box of Cu. bought enough CL for at least 10 years after I re-zero.

Agree some guns don’t like certain ammo. I started shooting with expensive sabots than ran out at range once day so used some of a friends cheap super x. The super x held groups half the size of the sabots I was shooting haven’t looked back.

I can’t say much but I have used Remmy copper solids and Hornady SST’s. I went to the range to sight in my Deer Hunter last year and both first shots were on target at 100 yards with the SST’s so that made me happy enough.

My 870 loves those Brownings. I was shooting the Hornady SST, but was not getting the best accuracy. I tried the Brownings and was pleased with my 100 yard groups. I find my gun prefers a slower, heavier round. Jim

Back
Top Bottom