• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Safe deposit box for SHTF

Shark_Cage

NES Member
Just started a new job, place is pretty locked down (cc not ideal). There is a bank in the same building and we get a free small safety deposit box as a perk. I have been thinking of using it as a secure cache for a firearm, thoughts?

If you have a spare, it might not hurt to have one there just in case, along with some cash. The list of scenarios where it might be useful will be rather limited, but if it's a gun that would otherwise just sit in your safe collecting dust....why not?

First thing that happens when the shit hits the fan is all banks will shut down so they will not be robbed or over run.

I'd get a small vehicle safe, figuring if SHTF, the bank will go into lockdown real quick...

First thing that happens when the shit hits the fan is all banks will shut down so they will not be robbed or over run.

My initial thoughts on this is that it'd be more useful for a personal sort of SHTF. Obviously wide-spread shit-fan-hitting will rather quickly preclude the gun stashed in a SD box as a viable option.

The type of SHTF scenario that would make that useful would put a bank into lockdown well before you could get your hands on it. I'd also wonder how secure and private it is considering your company provides one for you. But that is just me...

Unless you're expecting a bourne identity type situation, I'm sticking with my original not useful conclusion.better off getting one of those lockers at the bus station and switching it before they consider it abandonded.

Better to have a concealed lock box in your vehicle for the firearm (and a good amount of ammo) for a SHTF scenario. Or just have it there while you're driving around (so you're NEVER without something).

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich in it

Egg salad sammich in a vacuum sealed bag... Maybe get creative and include a remote trigger puncture device so that if things go south, you can stink up the vault with the contents. Just be sure to NOT have anything in there you want. You'll also need to be sure to change the batteries in the receiver from time to time.

Last edited:
No, Roosevelt did not search your granddad's safe depost box in 1933

Safe deposit boxes aren't all that safe. Plus the tinfoilers at InfoWars keep telling us that the Feds plan to nationalize anything found in boxes, especially if a bank collapses.
[tinfoil]And no, the Feds did not search all boxes to confiscate gold under Executive Order 6102.

As for storing a handgun, most banks have a policy forbidding storage of firearms/ammo in their safe deposit boxes. Not that there's any way the bank would know, or be able to enforce this.

Maybe renting a locker at a bowling alley would be a better bet. I doubt anyone would know or care what you have stashed there, and in a SHTF situation, you could probably get to it by throwing a brick through the front door.

Lock box in your car. It all depends on what you're driving, but there are a lot of little places to hide a small locking case for a compact or sub compact in a car\suv.

Not at all a good idea... Its against most banks policy (if not illegal) to store weapons. If you get jacked up in some way where you have to produce that weapon, or someone (some agency) has to rifle though it, it will prob not end well.

When my mother passed, we had to get access to the safe deposit box for a will search, we could not look in, touch or ask about anything but the will. I could only imagine if she had a gun there. Bet the cops would be called and then the rest of what was in there might be jammed up.

I think its also and issue to keep cash in one as well...

In a SHTF situation, the first buildings in any town to be locked up tight as a drum will be the banks.

Don't do it.

Keep your guns at hand.

....the first buildings in any town to be locked up tight as a drum will be the banks.

Don't do it. Keep your guns at hand.

I'd agree with this. If you can't bring it in to work and don't want to do the car lockbox thing, but want it available, if there is some nearby woodlot or other location where you can securely cache the stuff, I'd go that route.

Not at all a good idea... Its against most banks policy (if not illegal) to store weapons. If you get jacked up in some way where you have to produce that weapon, or someone (some agency) has to rifle though it, it will prob not end well.
I don't know about other states, but in NH, the worst that would happen is that bank might "fire you" as a customer.

When my mother passed, we had to get access to the safe deposit box for a will search, we could not look in, touch or ask about anything but the will. I could only imagine if she had a gun there. Bet the cops would be called and then the rest of what was in there might be jammed up.

The banks don't like it, but mostly to maintain plausible deniability.

Bankrate.com said:
And all this time you thought the employees who took you into the safe-deposit area were just trying not to look nosy by turning their backs when you opened your box right there instead of in a private room. Nope, they turn away because they don't want to know what you're putting in or taking out of that metal box.

That's probably just as well because what does get put into safe-deposit boxes might make the bankers a little nervous.

"If you told me there's a list (of things not allowed in a safe-deposit box) I could probably blow it full of holes based on what we see here," says Rick Sweet, vault supervisor at Florida's unclaimed property division of the state's Banking and Finance department.

"We get between a dozen and three dozen handguns each year, ammunition, human and pet remains -- ashes, drug paraphernalia and sometimes what looks like drugs or drug residue."

Sweet sees what's in safe-deposit boxes that have been abandoned. In addition to guns, ammo and cremains, Sweet says 5 percent to 10 percent of the boxes have substantial cash -- $5,000 or more.

That blows a hole in a popular misconception -- that it's illegal to keep cash in a safe-deposit box.

Banks hate that their customers put cash in a safe deposit box, but it's not actually against the law.

My initial thoughts on this is that it'd be more useful for a personal sort of SHTF.

Care to enlighten us at to what that might entail? I can't think of any scenario where a gun in a bank would be of any use. I prefer to have ALL of my guns under my direct control at all times.

I cannot find any law against a gun in a safe deposit box. Absent a law, it's in the same status as entering the bank with a dog if they have a no dogs sign (fortunately, my bank does not have this policy).

My guess is the cops would look at the gun, check the LTC of the person taking possession of the box, and wish them a nice day. Unless there was a dog in the bank lobby.

If you are in a situation where your box is being opened without your permission, and by someone other than you, chances are being told you violated a bank rule is probably pretty low on your list of problems.

Care to enlighten us at to what that might entail? I can't think of any scenario where a gun in a bank would be of any use. I prefer to have ALL of my guns under my direct control at all times.
If your house burned down it might be nice to have a spare gun that you could access.

I am not a banker, but am certified in anti-money-laundering and "Red Flag"

Wat? Bank (where they store cash) policy says you can't store cash in a safe deposit box at that bank? Is that really the policy?
These days US bank branches don't have much currency on hand. Cash is close to the worst form to keep your wealth in, banks prefer to have their money out working for them instead of sitting in a vault.

Often banks have a policy stating that they really prefer you don't store cash in a deposit box, and not just because they want it deposited into a FDIC-insured account (cash in a safe deposit box is not covered under FDIC insurance). Also, your homeowners insurance may cover some items in safe deposit, but not cash stored in violation of the box rental agreement.

They won't forbid you from putting cash in in your box, but if your bank becomes aware of unusual Safe Deposit activity,they may report you to the feds.

These days US bank branches don't have much currency on hand. Cash is close to the worst form to keep your wealth in, banks prefer to have their money out working for them instead of sitting in a vault.

Often banks have a policy stating that they really prefer you don't store cash in a deposit box, and not just because they want it deposited into a FDIC-insured account (cash in a safe deposit box is not covered under FDIC insurance). Also, your homeowners insurance may cover some items in safe deposit, but not cash stored in violation of the box rental agreement.

Yes, heaven forbid banks have cash.

Me; "I'd like to cash this check."
Bank Teller; "Would you like that in big or small bills?"
Me; "Big bills. It's $1300..."
Bank Teller; "OK, all we can do is 20's and 5's."
Me; "Uhhh, you don't have 13 $100 bills in this whole bank?"
Bank Teller; "Ummm, no."

And, personally, if I believed in SDB, I'd put ANYTHING I felt like in there. If it's legal, it's none of their business.

Back
Top Bottom