• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Safe suggestions

Looking for an inexpensive safe.. Don't have a lot of money to spend on one now was looking into prices about $600-$700.. Found a steelwater safe and seems like a deal.
http://superiorlockandsafe.reachlocal.com/?scid=1168312&kw=1659239&pub_cr_id=7184603209
also the cannon from tractor supply... In time I will upgrade to a better one but just can't afford it right now.
Also for the most part I will have mostly handguns...
thank you,
Mike

I'd suggest checking out the showroom at Eastern Security Safe, but you're over an hour away from either of their locations.

Looking for an inexpensive safe.. Don't have a lot of money to spend on one now was looking into prices about $600-$700.. Found a steelwater safe and seems like a deal. also the cannon from tractor supply... In time I will upgrade to a better one but just can't afford it right now. Also for the most part I will have mostly handguns...
In that price range, I'd look for the product with the best fire-protection rating, a mechanical dial lock, and the thickest body metal. One drawback I see with the "Steelwater" is the use of an electronic lock with a key bypass mechanism -- that keyed lock becomes the weakest link.

With an inexpensive RSC (Residential Security Container, not a "safe"), think of it as a way to comply with the law (in MA) and to protect against children, amateurs, fire, and rust rather than as a high-security "Safe" that withstands extended attack. Bolting it to the floor in a corner will help slow down attackers and keep them from walking off with the entire lightweight box.

Remember to build into your budget the cost of delivery, a couple handgun racks, door organizer, goldenrod, etc.

Last edited:
Hi Mike -- Not sure if you're a Costco member (or maybe you have a friend or family) but they have a pretty good deal on a Big Horn (made by Rhino) safe. http://www.costco.com/BIGHORN-19ECB-Safe.product.11625662.html on Sale, $569.99 shipped (4-6 week delivery). When i placed the order, they surprisingly didn't charge me any tax, not sure why, but I'm not complaining. It's not the best, nor is it the worst, but should do the job pretty well.

I'm in a similar situation. I don't know if you're a Costco member, but I just got this offer in the mail from them a few days ago.

http://www.costco.com/.product.11625662.html

Not a high-end safe, of course, but has some good reviews and attractive features. Supposedly if you order by phone you can get a mechanical combination lock rather than the electronic.

c-king

Check Craigslist...I got my safe for free as long as i could move it.It weighs 5200 lbs....I hired a rigging company to move it for $700.Its 100 years old....i spent about $150 on carpet,paint and supplies and did a restore.Its an option if you dont mind the elbow grease involved.The safes you see in bass pro are nice im sure...but they weigh less than one of my doors.

Hi Mike -- Not sure if you're a Costco member (or maybe you have a friend or family) but they have a pretty good deal on a Big Horn (made by Rhino) safe. http://www.costco.com/BIGHORN-19ECB-Safe.product.11625662.html on Sale, $569.99 shipped (4-6 week delivery). When i placed the order, they surprisingly didn't charge me any tax, not sure why, but I'm not complaining. It's not the best, nor is it the worst, but should do the job pretty well.
Safes aren't taxed in PRM.

Looking for an inexpensive safe.. Don't have a lot of money to spend on one now was looking into prices about $600-$700.. Found a steelwater safe and seems like a deal.
http://superiorlockandsafe.reachlocal.com/?scid=1168312&kw=1659239&pub_cr_id=7184603209
also the cannon from tractor supply... In time I will upgrade to a better one but just can't afford it right now.
thank you,
Mike

if you know someone that works at a place like Bass Pro, or a similar big box store, many employees get up to 40% discount, give them the money and have them pick one up for you, that's what I did..they even delivered...[smile]

I have had great luck on craigslist. Lots of people just want them out of their house or buisness. I bought a really awesome- fire and waterproof Diebold safe (like bank quality) for 300 bucks on CL. The key is finding some gorillas to help you move em. At least check as there are some really good deals.

Steelwater Gun Safes
thank you,
Mike

I too got a Winchester from Tractor Supply. While not the prettiest one I've ever seen, it does the job just fine, cost was low 329. and lives hidden in a closet. Perfect for what I needed. Would reccomend...

That Bighorn safe seems like a good deal but I am not a Costco member and I would like a higher fire rating. I might order one but I also found another one I am considering. Anyone have any experience with these safes?
"Closet Model" 12 gun safe 2 hour fire 1880 LEO SPECIAL

Bighorn Safe: $570. Costco Membership: $55 (and can be cancelled for a prorated refund a few weeks later). Safe interior dimensions: 57.5" H x 26.75" W x 14.75" D Fire Protection: 30-minute/1200 degree F

Closet Model safe: $1,880. Safe interior dimensions: 53 1/2 x 26 3/4 x 12, Fire - 2 Hour Fire 1880 degrees

The closet model looks to be a bit better in overall quality and fire protection... but it costs $1,255 extra.

At the end of the day, I am getting myself a Bighorn 19ECB for my first safe and then I'll keep an eye out on Craigslist - as DONALDG-HOG pointed out, some people are selling working old safes for short money on Craigslist if you only get them out of their house. Even after paying professionals to move it, some of them are great deals.

Just an FYI most of the "fire proofing" I have seen is actually drywall. (Both of mine have been) You can add it to any safe that has the space.

Decided to order the BigHorn. For what I need now it will work fine and I can always upgrade later. For those without a membership you can still buy this safe without paying the $55 membership fee. I paid a $28.50 non-member surcharge which I thought was worth it.

Back
Top Bottom