• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Safety Question-

Lmsoul

NES Member
What is your method of unloading your Pistol ( no Wheel guns)

Do you drop the mag 1st and lock your slide back? Then make sure the Pistol is clear- looking in the chamber to make sure no rounds are present.

Lock your Slide 1st, then drop the mag. Then make sure the Pistol is clear- looking in the chamber to make sure no rounds are present.

drop mag, rack the slide a few times to eject any round in the chamber, rack the slide and lock open to visually inspect the chamber, if the chamber if clear release the slide ( do not let it slam ) and with the muzzle facing in a safe direction and down pull the trigger
What’s wrong with letting the slide slam? Genuine question.

What is your method of unloading your Pistol ( no Wheel guns)

Do you drop the mag 1st and lock your slide back? Then make sure the Pistol is clear- looking in the chamber to make sure no rounds are present.

Lock your Slide 1st, then drop the mag. Then make sure the Pistol is clear- looking in the chamber to make sure no rounds are present.
Step one for clearing a pistol or rifle in the army is remove the magazine....so that's how Ive always done it.

Always remove mag first, then clear chamber. The rest is whatever
This.

But I'll add: If you have a safety selector, place it on "SAFE" first; then follow the above.

Also, if you don't already know (not sure of your level of experience) You should never let the locked slide fly forward without a loaded magazine which 'cushions' the
impact of the slide going into battery.

"Ride" the slide forward on an empty magazine and chamber to decrease the chances of frame/slide damage.

"Letting a slide fly" is for the movies...

Last edited:
If we have one in the chamber- dropping the mag 1st seems counterintuitive because you want the pistol to be clear- Dropping the mag 1st your pistol is still hot- Locking the slide 1st ejecting the round, and dropping the mag seems to make sense.

If we have one in the chamber- dropping the mag 1st seems counterintuitive because you want the pistol to be clear- Dropping the mag 1st your pistol is still hot- Locking the slide 1st ejecting the round, and dropping the mag seems to make sense.
The problem with that is if you release the slide by accident before it locks while pulling it back to try to lock it, and for some reason the round in the chamber doesn't eject, then it will strip one from the mag and chamber a round while there is one in the chamber, which is not a good thing. Also, even if the round does eject, if you
release the slide by accident (i.e., it didn't really lock), then you've just ejected one live round and now have another in the chamber.

It just seems like common sense to remove the ammo source before screwing with anything else.

The problem with that is if you release the slide by accident before it locks while pulling it back to try to lock it, and for some reason the round in the chamber doesn't eject, then it will strip one from the mag and chamber a round while there is one in the chamber, which is not a good thing. Also, even if the round does eject, if you
release the slide by accident (i.e., it didn't really lock), then you've just ejected one live round and now have another in the chamber.

It just seems like common sense to remove the ammo source before screwing with anything else.
Thank you for the insight-

I carry a 1911 and I drop the mag first. Sometimes when racking the slide, I miss the slide catch and the slide goes back into battery and If the mag were still in the well, I would have another round to clear from the chamber.
Some pistols have a feature where the hammer won't fall if the mag is removed so dropping the magazine first is a safer option with such a pistol.
ETA: @hminsky already covered my response. Lol

I always thought the same drop mag 1st until-- I think I might change my method- Racking the slide 1st and then dropping the mag may be safer

View: https://youtu.be/iMHu-9z9sq4?t=395

Come on. It’s not a time-bomb. You start fiddling with the slide with a full mag in, you’re going to f it up sooner or later. So silly.

Always carry with one in the chamber. Hence, drop mag, rack twice, lock slide, clear, slide forward under control...

Come on. It’s not a time-bomb. You start fiddling with the slide with a full mag in, you’re going to f it up sooner or later. So silly.

I have to disagree to when he locks back the slide and states it is not-live with a loaded and inserted magazine. No f***ing way. Put down a pistol with a locked slide and loaded magazine on a cold range and tell everyone it is not live. You'll get your ass kicked in some places.

I have no problem letting the bolt slam forward on an empty chamber on any firearm I own. If it can’t take that force, it can’t take what punishment I enjoy giving it.
I don’t drive home other peoples shit though and show courtesy when handling not my firearms.

If you don't drop the mag first and then slip on the slide while clearing the chamber you've just chambered another round
Dropping the mag ensures you have 1 round to deal with
Slamming the slide is for the movies

This.

But I'll add: If you have a safety selector, place it on "SAFE" first; then follow the above.

Also, if you don't already know (not sure of your level of experience) You should never let the locked slide fly forward without a loaded magazine which 'cushions' the
impact of the slide going into battery.

"Ride" the slide forward on an empty magazine and chamber to decrease the chances of frame/slide damage.

"Letting a slide fly" is for the movies...

Keep in mind some pistols lock the slide via safety and some guns don't let you go into safe unless the hammer is cocked.

1. Point pistol in safe direction.
  2. Drop mag.
  3. Rack slide mutiple times before locking to rear.
  4. Visually and manually (i/e/ put your finger in the chamber) verify that the chamber is empty.
  5. Insert safety flag* and drop slide.
  6. Recover ejected round and reinsert in magazine several rounds down to minimize compression when rechambered.
*Don't have a safety flag? Stop being such a cheap f**k and get one.

None taking- I am happy I have a place to ask and verify my questions. Thank you!
Roger. We all started exactly where you are now and had tons of our own questions. Learning, listening, asking, and training is key, not just for your safety, fun and education, but also for those around you (IE family, neighbors, kids etc) while you’re armed or are disarming at home.

Keep in mind some pistols lock the slide via safety and some guns don't let you go into safe unless the hammer is cocked.
Yes! This is why knowing YOUR firearm is critical. Great Point!
~Enbloc

I have a bucket of mineral oil in the gun room. I drop the whole gun in. Let it set for at least 24 hours to disable the primers. I then lock the slide back and remove the chambered round. Disassemble round. Close slide and repeat as necessary. Then I remove the firing pin from the firearm and place it in a separate safe. If the gun will not reassemble without a firing pin, I use one I’ve shaved a few thousands off of. Looks right. Need a micrometer to tell.

Back
Top Bottom