Saiga 7.62x39 conversion... 95% done

SKS Ray

NES Member
Before someone replies with this... [pics] its late and I'm beat from grinding/drilling/hammering rivets and fitting parts so pictures will be tomorrow. [wink]

A while back I picked up a Saiga in 7.62x39 with intentions on converting it and finally started it this weekend.

I cut back the barrel sleeve and found no threads underneath so I'll have to cut my own for the muzzle brake. I found out Russians use some heavy duty welding equipment because the spot weld in the front of the trigger guard cost me 3 drill bits. They could have been on their way out after drilling and tapping a Chinese reciever a few weeks ago but they're pretty much toast now.

I've got the trigger assembly and internals out, trigger guard and bottom plate off and found that the pistol grip hole is there so thats less work. Plus I had to file down the ramp on the gas tube assembly I got to get the catch to fit.

I still have to drill and tap the trunion for the bullet guide and thread the muzzle but at least a good majority of the grunt work is over. Plus I still need to get a trigger assembly and stock set. I'm thinking a black polymer set from K-Var because being a Saiga I'd like it to look like the modern AKs.

One day if I get creative enough I'll swap out the gas and front sight blocks for Russian military hardware and make it complete. I should have it done for Mansfield.[grin]

Last edited:
I'm sitting around today tending to a smoker full of ribs and chicken so I figured I'd snap some pics of my progress.

Hard to believe that there is a handfull of stuff there that won't be used over again when this is complete.

100_1516.jpg

I didn't knock out the rivet near the mag release but instead sanded it smooth so there'd be one less hole to plug up.

100_1517.jpg

Cutting the barrel sleeve off went fairly smooth and was easy. I was hoping to find threads under it like some people have but no such luck so I'll have to thread it for the muzzle brake.

100_1518.jpg

With some slight modification the new gas tube fit solid.

100_1519.jpg

All I'm waiting for is a stock set, brake, and trigger group and I can complete the build, test it, and refinish. Oh, and lower handguard retainer too![grin]

I can't believe it took me this long to start it. I think it was completing the drill and tap scope mount project on my Norinco SKS that got me motivated.

Last edited:
You are doing all that and I feel apprehensive trying to get the FSB off my SLR105 so I can put on a threaded FSB for a 74 brake.

Have you ever built an AK before,or is this your first one ?

This is my first conversion. I've read for hours on the Saiga12 forums about mistakes people have made, etc. I decided to leave the gas block and FSB since they're both pressed on with dimples showing. I read about people cutting standard AK lower handguard retainers just enough to get them around the barrel and then holding them in place with a screw and nut so thats the route I chose.

I would have liked to remove both and instal a Bulgarian FSB with threads, lug, etc. especially since mine has a slight cant to it, but after reading the horror stories about people trying to remove theirs, I'll be taking a few shortcuts.

Now I'm just hoping I get all the parts in time to complete it for the Mansfield shoot.

I am most likely going to send my rifle to a pro and have them do it,and refinish the whole thing with something more durable than the stock finish.Just placed an order with K-Var last nite,see how long it takes to get the parts.

I really want to do it myself,but there is so much that can go wrong.

Can't wait for your finished pics,good luck.

Four days after I placed the order for all my build parts, a box showed up today from Greg @ Carolina Shooters Supply with my trigger goodies. I've heard CSS ships fast and its true. Just in time for the weekend so I can get some function testing in before the stock set gets here early next week.[thumbsup]

I'm definitely keeping an eye on this thread. The idea of having a true russian AK is very tempting.

If you find the concept even remotely tempting then I say go do it. This is one of those projects that looks a little scary but one you have done it you wonder what the fuss was about. If you are comfortable drilling out a rivet, the project of moving the fire control group is little more difficult than a detail strip. I have seen more people have issue with installing the bullet guide and that is mostly because people do not know how to tap a hole. I have personally done this a enough times that the entire project only takes about 90 min.

-MS

Last night I drilled a pilot hole in the trunnion for the bullet guide and installed the Tapco trigger group and retaining plate. I still need to add the safety lever and decide if I want to reinstall the bolt hold open:

100_1538.jpg

Today I got the right number drill bit for a tap that I had on hand and drilled for the tap size. I was surprised at how soft the Saiga steel was to drill through. One thing I've learned from using a drill press is that clamping parts down so nothing moves makes it much easier. I use a few different style C clamps. They're cheap and work well for securing parts and tools, and the best part is you can make quick adjustments w/out using bolts and nuts. A decent drill press vice is also a must as long as you use a rag or peices of wood so you don't damage what you're working on:

100_1540.jpg

Tapping was a breeze and while I was scared to drill and tap anything at first, the SKS Choate scope mount project got me over my fears of doing it. Just like everything you've ever read... lots of cuting fluid, a 1/4 turn, then back off to get the chips out, 1/4 turn, back off, etc. etc. until you're through:

100_1541.jpg

With the bullet guide screwed in place I checked the bolt function and everything seems good to go. Once I know everything works, I'll use thread locker on the screw:

100_1543.jpg

Here is a shot of the modified trigger guard snugged down with a screw and nut:

100_1544.jpg

Now that the build is nearing completion, I got giddy and for the hell of it snapped one of the plastic cap plugs in one of the rivet holes. It really does look just like a rivet and fits very tight. Much easier than welding the holes closed!
I also installed an old Romanian pistol grip to see how it would look. The K-Var stock set I have coming tomorrow looks just like it so I'll be using the grip that comes with it to play along with that whole 922 compliance crap rule.

100_1545.jpg

If all goes well I should be hitting the range Wednesday after work for a function test, and maybe refinishing with Duracoat on Thursday. Or I might wait until the brake I ordered gets here and refinish the whole thing at once.

Last edited:
SKS Ray,

I'm in the process of doing the same project. Just wondering....when you installed the bullet guide does it extend beyond the edge of the trunion? The pictures I have seen make it look as if it should be flush with the edge. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill W.

SKS Ray,

I'm in the process of doing the same project. Just wondering....when you installed the bullet guide does it extend beyond the edge of the trunion? The pictures I have seen make it look as if it should be flush with the edge. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill W.

It should be flush with the edge of the trunion.

I'm using a Bulgarian bullet guide instead of one of the kits usually found online. Mine extends a little past the trunnion and I've read on a few sites its ok. Mag test and bolt function test is ok so far.

I'll see for myself tomorrow night when I range test the rifle and will be bringing my cordless Dremel in case it doesn't.

Thanks, my bullet guide also extends a little beyond the trunion. I just finished installing it. I'm hoping not to have to Dremel as so far everything functions. Hope to fire it at the end of the week.

I'll be shooting mine tomorrow after work [smile]:

100_1547.jpg

100_1549a.jpg

It looks good with the exception of the lower handguard retainer. I took a shortcut I read about and cut a Romanian retainer on the top so I could spread it wide enough to fit over the barrel, then press it in place and put a screw through the top and bypass the locking lever. Its tight and fits well, I even notched the barrel where the lever usually goes so the screw could fit with out grinding some of it away. Only problem is I have a small stress crack in the metal on the handguard retainer from spreading it apart. I could probably tack it with a welder with no damage to the handguard, but I might just go for broke and pres off the gas block and FSB so I can install one the right way. For now it holds and its solid enough to shoot.
Once I get the muzzle brake, I'll thread the barrel and refinish the metal.

Last edited:
Thanks, my bullet guide also extends a little beyond the trunion. I just finished installing it. I'm hoping not to have to Dremel as so far everything functions. Hope to fire it at the end of the week.

Which BG did you get? I got the Bulgarian one from K-Var and chose to drill and tap instead of using the rivet. I had to grind off a little material on it because it has a bolt stop. The Saiga already has one so the Bulgarian one won't fit unless you modify it a little.

Which BG did you get? I got the Bulgarian one from K-Var and chose to drill and tap instead of using the rivet. I had to grind off a little material on it because it has a bolt stop. The Saiga already has one so the Bulgarian one won't fit unless you modify it a little.

I got the one from Dinzag. It overhangs the trunion a little but I took my firing pin out and manually ran a couple of full mags through the rifle with no problems.

I also got the Dinzag HG retainer. It was defective so I mailed it back today so I should have the replacement next week. I may get to the range Fri with the standard HG and gas tube in place to see if everything works OK.

Shot the rifle tonight and everything went well. The first few times I chambered a round, the bolt hung up a little but after a few mags, everything ran smooth like an AK should. After all, Mr. Kalashnikov knew with his design that there was no need for a forward assist.[grin]

Shot the rifle tonight and everything went well. The first few times I chambered a round, the bolt hung up a little but after a few mags, everything ran smooth like an AK should. After all, Mr. Kalashnikov knew with his design that there was no need for a forward assist.[grin]

Better Pics incoming?

I'm at about $300 worth of extras and when you think about it, a Saiga for $325, +$300 worth of parts, plus time and more $ if I want to add a proper sight and gas block to hold the cleaning rod and the cash for refinishing supplies, its just about the price of what you'd pay for an already set up Bulgarian AK in a shop if you found one for a reasonable Massachusetts price.[hmmm]

Back
Top Bottom