Sales at gun stores, need opinions

Hi guys,
I hope some of you will share your experiences with me, especially those in MA considering the pre/post ban laws we have to deal with. A couple of months ago, a gun shop was having a sale on pre-ban mags. I hadn't decided which gun to buy at the time, so didn't take advantage of the sale at the time. Fast forward to now, I've picked up the gun and am looking to get some pre-ban mags.

Do gun shops generally have sales go through cycles like regular stores do, i.e. every few months or once a year they recur? Or once a sale is past, is it done? I figure any cash I save on the mags can go towards more ammo [smile]

Thanks for your thoughts.

I have seen some price cuts at stores but not like you would typically see in a big box store like Bass Pro or Cabelas. The prices tend to only go up over time so if you see something for a fair price you should probably grab it then and not wait till later.

Considering that preban mags are mostly a used commodity with fickle availability at times, I wouldn't expect any regular sales.

I know Carl at FS has periodic 'sales', but on things like pre-ban mags they're very unpredictable. As has been stated, availability is sketchy and usually you'll see a deal or multiple-buy price, if someone has lucked out and acquired a relatively large lot of something in short supply.

Why a 'sale' for something in short supply?.....The dealer wants to quickly move the inventory, recover his money, and hopefully induce the shopper to buy other stuff (firearms, etc.) when they come in for the deal.

If I saw a pre-ban mag I would pick it up as they prob come and go in bunches and in terms of firearms..I say the sales are getting better and keep coming back...I have seen Brand New Glocks (9mm and 40)at 459$ and M&P's(9mm and 40) for 449 (plus the 50$ rebate) means 399$..Ruger LCP's for 249$..Lots of other deals out there too!

Thanks for the responses. They're pretty much mirroring my own thoughts in that pre-ban mags are a limited commodity and I should probably pay the higher price to get them, rather than waiting for a sale that might never happen again.

Try the local classifieds here requesting the type you want. Carl at Four Seasons stocks some (Glock, AR, etc), but I've never seen them on sale because the demand is too high. So far I have yet to see any pre-bans for Sigs, especially for the P229.

I always feel like I got screwed when something I buy goes on sale several weeks later! I would rather not see stores with sales......just the best price they can give. This goes for all things.
BUT if you want it you buy it!

Try the local classifieds here requesting the type you want. Carl at Four Seasons stocks some (Glock, AR, etc), but I've never seen them on sale because the demand is too high. So far I have yet to see any pre-bans for Sigs, especially for the P229.

Good idea posting a classified here. I've been looking but haven't seen anything recent. Four Seasons was the place that had the mags listed for sale in the first place (Beretta 92FS, 4 mags for $100). The "regular" price isn't too much more, but it would have been a box of ammo.

Good idea posting a classified here. I've been looking but haven't seen anything recent. Four Seasons was the place that had the mags listed for sale in the first place (Beretta 92FS, 4 mags for $100). The "regular" price isn't too much more, but it would have been a box of ammo.

Sean, keep your eye on the accessories classifieds here on NES. I know I've seen people selling some small batches of pre-ban mags for the Beretta 92. In fact, I bought my 92 at FS and picked up 5 hi-cap pre-ban mags from a classified ad here. IIRC, Zero Hour Arms might also have some. Good luck with your search.

Thanks for the responses. They're pretty much mirroring my own thoughts in that pre-ban mags are a limited commodity and I should probably pay the higher price to get them, rather than waiting for a sale that might never happen again.

Quantities are limited, but not that limited. You just need to be resourceful. In most cases there's no need to pay huge overprices on pre ban mags,. Remember that there are 40+ states that don't have a ban, and all those states have people who own preban mags, that can often be recruited to do exchanges. (EG, you buy them new mags, have them dropped shipped to them, and have them send you the prebans, at whatever ratio you end up settling on with the seller. ). With a few exceptions here and there, you are going to get hosed in the wallet buying prebans at most gun stores in MA.

-Mike

Why a 'sale' for something in short supply?.....The dealer wants to quickly move the inventory, recover his money, and hopefully induce the shopper to buy other stuff (firearms, etc.) when they come in for the deal.

Generally speaking, it's the other way around. Dealers make fairly little on firearms, thus they're usually the things on sale so that customers can be attracted to buy other items.

Generally speaking, it's the other way around. Dealers make fairly little on firearms, thus they're usually the things on sale so that customers can be attracted to buy other items.

I understand the short margins on firearms, but there's no dealer who doesn't want to move inventory and recover his investment, especially on stuff there's a good demand for. When I say 'sale' in this case, I guess I should have said 'deals'. It's more typical to see a discount on multiple quantities, than an outright sale on product with a high demand.

And you won't, I have them all!! Muwahahaha [devil2]

To the OP, keep an eye on the classifieds here, sometimes stuff pops up.

Back
Top Bottom