• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sales on uppers (side charging)

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member

I got a side charging upper NATO 5.56 from this place a few weeks ago for $370, and they're now down to $340 free shipping, includes BCG (and you don't need a charging handle :)

Seems like a very good deal, I just ordered another one.

Same brand? All quality looks good? Any bad things you noticed? Thinking of ordering
Yes BCA (Bear Creek Arsenal). Keep in mind that the side charger bolt appears to be proprietary and if it fails you'd have to get another from BCA. Maybe others make that bolt but I don't know. For me, I'll probably never fire enough 300aac to wear it out. Everything appears to work at the workbench. Andrew has a BCM upper of some sort (I think SBR) and has sent his usual bunch o' rounds downrange so perhaps he can comment.

Shit Creek Arsenal.

Same brand? All quality looks good? Any bad things you noticed? Thinking of ordering

Horrible company. Do a quick Google search and see what I mean. Ya get what you pay for and don't get what you don't pay for.

Just one example with multiple posts.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/tacticalgear/comments/klxog5/bear_creek_arsenal/

@drgrant can elaborate further

Last edited:
I've had 2 or 3 uppers from Bear Creek including a 16" 223 carbine and 7.62x39mm and never had any problems with them. I'd buy again.

A buddy of mine bought the 7.62x39 as well and uses it deer hunting. He's been quite happy with it too

If people are ragging on a manufacturer because of their own experiences or they have heard a first hand negative experience from someone they know personally, that's fair game. Otherwise there's always a chorus of web commandos who love nothing more than to join a pig pile on top of some AR company that's not BCM, Noveske, KAC, etc. I know nothing of BCA but would look for feedback from people who have actually owned and flogged their product before making my own judgement.

I've had 2 or 3 uppers from Bear Creek including a 16" 223 carbine and 7.62x39mm and never had any problems with them. I'd buy again.

A buddy of mine bought the 7.62x39 as well and uses it deer hunting. He's been quite happy with it too
[thumbsup] [thumbsup]

This is exactly what I was talking about. Listen to someone who's actually using the product.

For what its worth
bought one of thier 300 kits a few years ago.
price was cheap, IIRC $275
Shipping was awful parts loose inside a thin box. Box was torn and missing pieces, parts where of what I suspected it was not great but i later sold it off to a friend and hes been loving it.
Also bought a 300 kit from omega arms. Same deal cheap but works. Will it run 8k rounds with out issue?
Another range friend has a BcA complete rifle.
mag dump type of shooter with cheapest steel case ammo he can muster. I needed to replace the gas seals and extrator at 3000ish rounds.

I have a BCA upper & 5.56 pencil barrel, got it on sale. Shoots fine, <1 MOA. No issues so far, nothing's broken or exploded. But yes, they do seem to have QC issues at times. So do your homework and inspect the goods when they arrive.

I bought 2 uppers from BCA just about a year ago before things went mental. I got a 16" 5.56 heavy barrel upper with a 15" hand guard for $199 and a 16" 7.62x39 similar upper for $209. both were complete with BCG and CH. Great prices. The x39 upper shoots everything. I had also purchased a x39 upper kit from midway. They first sent me an upper that would not go into battery. I did not check the barrel to see what it was, just returned it. Midway was great. the second one I got was fine, but had problems with light primer strikes on Russian steel. I swapped firing pin with a specific x39 FP from Windham. That one works great now. I changed the FP on the BCA x39 since I had got 2, but didn't feel that I needed to.

I would buy their stuff again. accurate and goes bang every time.

the barrels I have are front heavy and might go with a 9" or 12" hand guard.

I believe that the AR Stoner uppers on Midway are built by BCA.

If people are ragging on a manufacturer because of their own experiences or they have heard a first hand negative experience from someone they know personally, that's fair game. Otherwise there's always a chorus of web commandos who love nothing more than to join a pig pile on top of some AR company that's not BCM, Noveske, KAC, etc. I know nothing of BCA but would look for feedback from people who have actually owned and flogged their product before making my own judgement.

I love BCA.. Even if their product is absolute steaming gutter trash. Most people don't know any better and joe 3 boxes on sunday is satisfied.

I want more people to buy BCA so that there's more of the good shit left behind for those of us who know better. In that respect I am glad they exist, a dummy load brand for skinflints, to take some pressure off the rest of the market.

Even the worst brands have a valuable role, particularly during these market conditions.

I love BCA.. Even if their product is absolute steaming gutter trash. Most people don't know any better and joe 3 boxes on sunday is satisfied.

I want more people to buy BCA so that there's more of the good shit left behind for those of us who know better. In that respect I am glad they exist, a dummy load brand for skinflints, to take some pressure off the rest of the market.

Even the worst brands have a valuable role, particularly during these market conditions.

LOL, steaming gutter trash a bit harsh?

I think many of the revered brands don't deliver anything that one can't self build for half the price. AR's are half critical components and the other half is total Barbie dress-up time. Anyone with rudimentary skill and some attention to detail can assemble an AR that will function with the best. Buy a Compass Lake, Krieger, or possibly Ballistic Advantage barrel with matching bolt, JP bolt carrier, Geissele or similar trigger, and mount them in any reasonable quality and well fitting forged upper lower combo plus a quality free float. As long as they don't skinflint on the little stuff this setup will be more accurate and 100% as serviceable as any LMT, KAC, Noveske, or whatever.

I'm happy for the folks who are compelled to spend the dough on the Cadillac brands but the usual AR snobbery is laughable. A top shelf BCG, barrel, and trigger won't run any better in a thuper fabulouth AR than they will in one built from solid and serviceable components. Now if a manufacturer cuts corners and uses complete crap for the few critical components, yeah- that's going to be a POS.

I'll admit there's a range toy level of product priced accordingly. I bought a Radical .458 socom upper as a range toy many years ago. That's all I expected, to get a fun range toy. Thousands of rounds later after getting hammered by one of the most abusive AR calibers, that stupid thing runs like a top. Perhaps some of these cheaper brands are simply Timex level quality, not steaming gutter trash?

I like flinting from time to time. BCA is in the same league as combat armory. You may get lucky and the world spins correctly, or you may get garbage. They both have the same QA program, you, the end user. Sure, if something is f**ked, they will send a replacement, but that's not what they market. They have everyone thinking its the same as Spikes or BCM for a fraction of the cost, it isn't. I'd rather just hunt down sales and buy individual components from quality manufacturers. You can buy really good stuff for the same price as bca or ca.

But, go ahead and buy one. My cousin did, it runs. Shows some strange wear patterns and the handguard makes a twangy noise, but it runs. For what he paid, he's a happy camper. I probably got the Friday afternoon special.

IMO if you're not shooting competitions or looking for accuracy at 200 yards or more, you don't need anything beyond an AR Stoner or BCA upper. Plinking at 100yds or home defense, they will work just fine and deliver sufficient accuracy for what you're doing. If you're planning to take it into combat in the middle east, buy something better. But typically your employer will supply that ;-) Otherwise just buy the cheap upper and spend the rest on ammo. You can always dress it up later if you want to.

IMO if you're not shooting competitions or looking for accuracy at 200 yards or more, you don't need anything beyond an AR Stoner or BCA upper. Plinking at 100yds or home defense, they will work just fine and deliver sufficient accuracy for what you're doing. If you're planning to take it into combat in the middle east, buy something better. But typically your employer will supply that ;-) Otherwise just buy the cheap upper and spend the rest on ammo. You can always dress it up later if you want to.
I can't knock the AR stoner barrels from Larry. They were, not sure if they still are, made buy Shaw. Probably made in batches to keep them busy during slow times, but they would shoot very well. I used two of them, both outstanding for the money.

I can't knock the AR stoner barrels from Larry. They were, not sure if they still are, made buy Shaw. Probably made in batches to keep them busy during slow times, but they would shoot very well. I used two of them, both outstanding for the money.

I've got two of those barrels, a 7" and a 10.5" and both shoot way better than I ever expected.

How do those compare to the newer Aero upper assemblies like the m4e1 ?

Back
Top Bottom