Saltwater gear for stripers

CdP

I'm hitting the bay side of the cape (near scorton creek or near the canal) from a boat next weekend, looking for stripers. Up til now, fish and I have had a "you leave me alone, I leave you alone" relationship. Or better yet, I try to catch them, they run the hell away.

Any suggestions from the pros both on equipment (thinking about a bait case reel and 6.5ft ugly stick type rod) as well as bait / lure?

Thanks for whatever advice you can throw my way!

CdP

Can't give you much advice since i have only been a couple times, but I hope you get some nice ones. Striper is one of my favorite fish to eat, so easy to cook and great texture.

What do you want to do? Bait or lures?

Baitcasters are good for soaking bait (not surprisingly) but you need a lot of practice to cast them.

Spin setups are good for plugs and serviceable for bait too.

A Shimano Baitrunner 8000 on a 7 foot rod rated for 20lb test monofilament is a handy setup. Penn makes decent stuff, they sell the combos at places like Bass Pro.

If you're purely going to fish bait a bait caster setup is good. The line and rod can be heavier as you aren't casting.

Thanks. I have a spinning reel I use for freshwater, and was thinking of adding. I'll probably check out that combo or one like it.

So how did you do OP?

Have you been to the fingers in CC bay? I don't know how the action is there right now, as this year has been a little slow to start but that place gives up some big damn fish.

So, equipment wise, I got a Penn Senator trolling reel on a 6'6" rod. Forget who makes the rod, but it was a decent little combo sold by sandwich ship supply. Put on 100 yards of lead core.

Nothing big bit, but caught two 16" schoolies using shad lure. Going back later this week.

Haven't been to fingers. Not really sure where it is! I know it's somewhere roughly off the coast there, but need to find it!

Used sandwich marina today. Could only get out for an hour and a half at midday, so my low expectations were perfectly met. Possibly out tomorrow, depending on weather, but doubtful. Used tube and worm plus an eel lure and got no bites.

if your going to cape cod bay go to the fingers. get a wire line setup and troll (2.5 mph) jig a parachute with a pork rind. good workout and you will get a big fish.

I use mackerel cut up in bug chunks just landed a few 30+ inchers right of the shore this past week. Maybe 20 yds out.

Sent from the blind

Back
Top Bottom