• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Same old same old...assault weapons ban approved in Va.

Maxrobot

NES Member
The Virginia House of Delegates approved an assault weapons ban on a party line vote Friday. Fairfax County Democratic Del. Dan Helmer’s bill would end the sale and transfer of assault firearms manufactured after July 1, 2024. It also prohibits the sale of certain large capacity magazines.
While the bill would not impact assault weapons manufactured before July 1, it does prohibit younger Virginians, those under age 21, from owning, selling or transferring assault weapon regardless of manufacture date.

The Virginia House of Delegates approved an assault weapons ban on a party line vote Friday. Fairfax County Democratic Del. Dan Helmer’s bill would end the sale and transfer of assault firearms manufactured after July 1, 2024. It also prohibits the sale of certain large capacity magazines.
While the bill would not impact assault weapons manufactured before July 1, it does prohibit younger Virginians, those under age 21, from owning, selling or transferring assault weapon regardless of manufacture date.

Virginia beat MA in getting this shit passed.

Virginia beat MA in getting this shit passed.
Not really. VA, while still sh*t, is much better than MA.

It says "manufactured BEFORE..." so companies can manufacture thousands of rifles in the next 7 months and allocate them to VA.

MA is a sh*t show that wants to ban it all going back to some random f*cking date in 2016 because of some BS letter.

While I didn't read the law, I wonder how they will know a rifle was manufactured before July 2024. Some manufacturers might not keep track of when a SN was manufactured.

Not really. VA, while still sh*t, is much better than MA.

It says "manufactured BEFORE..." so companies can manufacture thousands of rifles in the next 7 months and allocate them to VA.

MA is a sh*t show that wants to ban it all going back to some random f*cking date in 2016 because of some BS letter.

While I didn't read the law, I wonder how they will know a rifle was manufactured before July 2024. Some manufacturers might not keep track of when a SN was manufactured.
They are stopping sales and transfer after that date.

They are stopping sales and transfer after that date.
Per the article -- of guns MANUFACTURED ... meaning if it was manufactured prior they can sell it. Like a rifle manufactured prior to 1994 if the new MA law passes.

I didn't read the law, I am going by what was shared.

News sometimes simplify things, so what was shared could be wrong.

Per the article -- of guns MANUFACTURED ... meaning if it was manufactured prior they can sell it. Like a rifle manufactured prior to 1994 if the new MA law passes.

I didn't read the law, I am going by what was shared.

News sometimes simplify things, so what was shared could be wrong.
Gotcha!

I read that wrong!!!

There is this
But it will likely then reach a governor, Glenn Youngkin, who has said such bills are an unnecessary distraction, as Virginia already has what he describes as some of the toughest gun laws in the nation.

While Youngkin has not said directly that he would veto it, legislators and lobbyists are betting that he almost certainly will. In a closely divided legislature, Democrats do not have the votes to override a veto.

For reference;

Bill Tracking - 2024 session > Legislation

From § 18.2-308.2:2.
"Assault firearm" means any semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol which expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock.

For reference;

Bill Tracking - 2024 session > Legislation

From § 18.2-308.2:2.
"Assault firearm" means any semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol which expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock.
To be technical the AR15 will be OK since it expels by deflagration, not explosion. But it will be Alice in Wonderland ... "A word means exactly what I say it means".

To be technical the AR15 will be OK since it expels by deflagration, not explosion. But it will be Alice in Wonderland ... "A word means exactly what I say it means".
deflagration is an explosion. it's just not a detonation. the difference being the speed of the flame front (detonations move supersonically).

Mallon, Tim & Matos, Peter & Scott, W & Mirza, Raúl & Bodeau, Donald. (2019). Chapter 28 EXPLOSIVES AND PROPELLANTS. (emphasis mine)
An energetic material is a compound that can undergo rapid, self-sustaining, exothermic reduction-oxidation reactions. Energetic materials may be categorized according to their intended uses: (a) explosives, (b) propellants, and (c) pyrotechnics. Explosives and propellants evolve large volumes of hot gas when burned; they differ primarily in their rates of reaction. Pyrotechnics (powder or ammunition used for igniting a rocket or producing an explosion; the term is also used in the military to designate flares and signals) generate large amounts of heat but much less gas than explosives or propellants. Energetic materials may also be grouped according to their rate of reaction. Both propellants and pyrotechnics are considered to be low explosives. The velocity at which the combustion proceeds through these materials is usually 400 m/sec or slower. In comparison, high explosives are detonated by a process in which the very rapid rate of the combustion reaction itself produces a shock wave, capable of shattering objects, in the surrounding medium.

TL;DR: propellants are explosives.

OP should have said.....Dems wasted their time....Govenor will never sign it.

That and woke teacher type shit is what the got him in to do….veto it all.

The veto could be overriden, as what happens many times, but I guess they do not have the votes (for now, cue the mass shooting there in the near future).

Back
Top Bottom