• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

San Francisco details criteria for CCW - and it's unreal

The only SFPD approved psychologists are Freudians who will administer the Rorschach inkblot test to all candidates. If you use gender specific pronouns during the test you will disqualified due to aggressive personality traits.

On the other hand in San Francisco, if you pick up a gun, point it at a woman and and shoot her in the back, you don't get punished.
So, it seems the simplest course of action is to not get a carry permit in SF.

On November 30, 2017, after five days of deliberations, a jury acquitted García Zárate of all murder and manslaughter charges, and federal manslaughter and assault charges were dropped due to lack of evidence. He was convicted of being a felon in possession of a firearm, but that conviction was overturned on appeal on August 30, 2019.[2]

What the hell is wrong with that city? What the hell is wrong with that city? What the hell????????????!!?

Oh I see what happened there. It was a .40 caliber pistol, so the jury decided that the guy must have not been in his right mind.
Either the DA took the loss for the team, or blame the people there. The jury acquitted, an illegal killing a USC, if she would have killed him while attacking her, she'd be in jail.

I'm trying to figure out exactly what any legit shrink would ask? Anything that would be a disqualifier is documented already (or it should be).

What I don't understand whenever I hear the dozens of "psych screening" proposals is there is no test/screening of potentially future violent behavior.
The only reasonably good indicator is PAST violent behavior. The fact someone is actually applying for an LTC means they are statistically less likely than almost any other group to do bad things with guns.

But doesn't this ultimately violate the spirit of Bruen? Many times during the oral arguments justices took issue with the fact when there was human discretion involved people are denied inappropriately. In the arguements it was because there was a police officer that had ultimately authority, but don't see how this is much different. Ultimately the yes/no vote lies with one person. And how does one challenge that? No recourse at all?

But doesn't this ultimately violate the spirit of Bruen? Many times during the oral arguments justices took issue with the fact when there was human discretion involved people are denied inappropriately. In the arguements it was because there was a police officer that had ultimately authority, but don't see how this is much different. Ultimately the yes/no vote lies with one person. And how does one challenge that? No recourse at all?
It violates Bruen in my opinion. I suspect there will a quick challenge to this but it is the 9th circ so...

Of equal concern is an applicant would be forced to sign a HIPAA consent allowing the Psychologist to share findings with SFPD. The application and the mental health report containing the inkblot interpretations may be subject to public disclosure to research institutions according to CA law.

Now can someone complete a 16 hour course with the firearm they are going to carry if they don't have a license to get that firearm that they want to carry?

Convoluted circular bullshit logic

Thats not how it works in Cali, you can just buy a gun, go through DROS etc and get a handgun, of course it has the 7 day wait and all that bullshit.

I moved from Connecticut to Georgia eight years ago. My perspective regarding gun laws has changed a lot.

Was at range today sighting in 3 rifles and a pistol. Ran into a friend there. Shot his suppressed 300 blackout sbr with subsonic ammo. No ear pro and all i could hear was the bolt cycling.

While we were on that range, (100 yd rifle), a man and his daughter joined us. She was somewhere between 6 and 9??? Shooting suppressed 223.
Not seeing a problem. My first shots had been at 2 years of age. My kids. Two years of age. Granted, we owned the range we had been at and it was only a couple shots. The point was to impress upon them, that if they see a firearm. It is not a toy. No matter how hard you may try. Kids have a way of getting into things. Or if, they are at a friends home. And a firearm is discovered. They know what to do. Leave it alone or tell an adult that someone is messing with it.

Not seeing a problem. My first shots had been at 2 years of age. My kids. Two years of age. Granted, we owned the range we had been at and it was only a couple shots. The point was to impress upon them, that if they see a firearm. It is not a toy. No matter how hard you may try. Kids have a way of getting into things. Or if, they are at a friends home. And a firearm is discovered. They know what to do. Leave it alone or tell an adult that someone is messing with it.

I obviously wasn’t clear enough.

I LIKE Georgia. I like that we encourage kids to learn how to handle firearms at our range. I like that a young kid was shooting SUPPRESSED 223 with her dad.

I moved from Connecticut to Georgia eight years ago. My perspective regarding gun laws has changed a lot.

Was at range today sighting in 3 rifles and a pistol. Ran into a friend there. Shot his suppressed 300 blackout sbr with subsonic ammo. No ear pro and all i could hear was the bolt cycling.

While we were on that range, (100 yd rifle), a man and his daughter joined us. She was somewhere between 6 and 9??? Shooting suppressed 223.
Personally I think CT is way worse than MA, which isn't great.

Personally I think CT is way worse than MA, which isn't great.
I was used to CT law; moving to GA changed my perspective.

I freely travel to the states around me, mostly SC and FL, with my firearms without thinking much about it. If it’s USPSA, I bring my 140 or perhaps my 170 mags without a second thought. My carry gun is fully loaded with backup mags.

I shoot in CT, MA and RI in the summer and they’re all very restrictive states with regards to gun laws.

I have some “declared” mags in CT that I use for USPSA. My carry gun has 10 round mags.

When I shoot in MA or RI I unload and lock everything up to transport and I bring only 10 round mags. I’m still violating MA law just by being in possession of my ammo for a match - let alone a firearm.

I don’t know which state’s laws are worse - they’re different flavors of dogshit. [1]

[1] - credit to @drgrant

I was used to CT law; moving to GA changed my perspective.

I freely travel to the states around me, mostly SC and FL, with my firearms without thinking much about it. If it’s USPSA, I bring my 140 or perhaps my 170 mags without a second thought. My carry gun is fully loaded with backup mags.

I shoot in CT, MA and RI in the summer and they’re all very restrictive states with regards to gun laws.

I have some “declared” mags in CT that I use for USPSA. My carry gun has 10 round mags.

When I shoot in MA or RI I unload and lock everything up to transport and I bring only 10 round mags. I’m still violating MA law just by being in possession of my ammo for a match - let alone a firearm.

I don’t know which state’s laws are worse - they’re different flavors of dogshit. [1]

[1] - credit to @drgrant
LOL, completely agree- different flavors. [laugh]

It violates Bruen in my opinion. I suspect there will a quick challenge to this but it is the 9th circ so...

Of equal concern is an applicant would be forced to sign a HIPAA consent allowing the Psychologist to share findings with SFPD. The application and the mental health report containing the inkblot interpretations may be subject to public disclosure to research institutions according to CA law.
This is what several police departments in RI have tried without the psychologist in between. Give us a release for your primary care, and every psych hospital in Southern New England. Which prompts the question 'When did police become qualified to review medical records?'. The standard is not are you ill/well it is are you dangerous or not. I saw one release for a PCP that basically was a form that said "I have/have not refered this person for psychiatric care". What an open end piece of BS that is. How many people have gone to see therapaists because they were having marriage difficulties, have ADHD, or suffer from any number of conditions that would not disqualify them.

I believe NJ is doing the same BS

I believe NJ is doing the same BS

My brother in law is hopping on the NJ CCW. They called me for his reference, and basically ran down the 4473 questions with me. It was laughable.

Best part? They customized the question on “overthrowing the government” by adding “or the government of NJ”!

[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

When I lived in NM, I did CCW classes there and this was before it turned hard left.
15 hr class with live-fire that needed a passing score. You had to pass with the caliber you would carry, but that was the max.
9mm? Can't carry a .40, so I'd bring a .45 revolver and semi (which covered .44 mag) for them to qualify with.
Different LTC for revolver and semi.

Added edit
NM also required that instructors must attend 8 hr in-service training once a year. These sessions were in different locations in the state, all about 2 hours from where I lived.
Drive 2 hrs, sit and listen for 8, get a meal, stay overnight, then drive home the next day?
For me it meant "no".
Back door method for eliminating instructors.

I lived in NM from 93-94. I walked into Charlie's Sporting Goods, bought my first gun, second and third - no classes. At that time crimes against women were so bad, that the DA had publicly said that he wouldn't prosecute any woman for illegally carrying if she had to defend herself.

That's OK. Leftists consider the Constitution to be an archaic and discriminatory list of suggestions that they may ignore or warp at their whim.
and they get away with it perfectly fine, as long as state govnah/DA/AG combination are all on the same team and federal installed judges support them all.

NY's handgun ownership license lists the serial number of each handgun you own- if you want to buy another one you have to make the decision and put the gun on hold with the dealer then get the license modified to include the serial number before you can pick it up.

In RI you must qualify with the maximum caliber (size) of handgun you would carry. So if you qualified with a 38, the largest diameter bullet gun you could carry is a 38. No CCW of a 40 or 45.

Most instructors would have you shoot the qualification with a 45- so you could carry up to a 45 caliber weapon- which covers almost all handguns you would normally consider carrying. In theory if you qualified with a 45 you could carry a 44 Magnum, because 45 > 44. Don't ask for logic, it's RI firearm laws.
That RI thing is retardation to the max. If size is all it matters, say you qualify with a soft shooting full size 45ACP. Does that mean the state now deems you competent to handle a 44 mag? Lol. It's a smaller number.

That RI thing is retardation to the max. If size is all it matters, say you qualify with a soft shooting full size 45ACP. Does that mean the state now deems you competent to handle a 44 mag? Lol. It's a smaller number.
As far as I recall, it does. And thats what the instructors would do, use a soft shooting 45acp for the qualification tests.

There were some instructors on the board who would qualify folks for RI permits who would be able to confirm it.

You had to use a specific target (Army L I think) as well. No other targets were allowed for the qualification shooting.

I'm trying to figure out exactly what any legit shrink would ask? Anything that would be a disqualifier is documented already (or it should be).

What I don't understand whenever I hear the dozens of "psych screening" proposals is there is no test/screening of potentially future violent behavior.
The only reasonably good indicator is PAST violent behavior. The fact someone is actually applying for an LTC means they are statistically less likely than almost any other group to do bad things with guns.

Not related to ccw, but I worked with a guy who failed a psych test for the fire dept.
In that case, the test did what was supposed to do. After some time being around the guy, you knew sonething was wrong with him. I avoided as much as possible.

As far as I recall, it does. And thats what the instructors would do, use a soft shooting 45acp for the qualification tests.

There were some instructors on the board who would qualify folks for RI permits who would be able to confirm it.

You had to use a specific target (Army L I think) as well. No other targets were allowed for the qualification shooting.
Soft shooting 45ACP is an acceptable second choice after a soft shooting 500S&W*

Yup, Army-L. Every NRA instructor is qualified to administer the test (copy of instructor's signature plus signoff required). It's harder to find the Arml-L target than an instructor. I keep them in stock at Hopkinton for RI range quals.

* - Yeah, I know...oymoron alert.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly you can purchase pistols in the Commumist Republic of California without a LTC. But to be allowed to EDC/CC you must jump thru many more hoops as evidenced above.

so violent criminals will only be able to kill people in their own home with their guns. They'd never take it somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom