SASS gear and tips request

USPSA shooter, want to try SASS next year.

Looking for a list of 'guns and accessories that will be perfectly suitable to be competitive but won't break the bank', preferably stuff I can find used. Also, tips and tricks.
(I'll be doing my own gunsmithing, and reloading, so slight bias to things for which there are replacement parts when I inevitably screw something up is desired)

One note: I had an odd experience: a birds-head Vaquero that, for whatever reason, pointed basically perfectly every time I brought it up in the most natural angle (sort of like the experience one would get at picking up a custom shotgun that was fitted to someone exactly your size). Is this something I should pursue, or is there some reason to go with another pistol style/action?

Apparently, there is no 'classic gunfighter', so 'classic double-dualist' and 'b-movie gunfighter' vaguely interest me, probably more on the latter. Also, if there is any quickdraw competitions in the area (the ones with wax bullets), I might want to fiddle with that, if that changes the below suggestions.

So -
* pistols (what caliber, good makes) - any major drawback or benefit from having two different ones, or is matched set derigeur? For having a larger versus smaller caliber?
* rifle (what caliber, good makes - gate loading desirable? Short actions?)
* double-barrel coach gun with external hammers, vs. lever action, vs. pump with I think 3 shots?

Hat, period-appropriate garb, boots, spurs, a name.

Belt (which I'm actually considering making myself) with bullet loops. Bandoleer with shotgun and rifle loops. Any other major necessary accessories?

Can I still use my modern looking 3gun cart, or should I gin up an old timey one?

you could do what i did when i thought i wanted to shoot sass. i went to a match, in my case at harvard sportsmans club, and spent most of the day watching, listening and learning. i saw what people were using, how they used the equipment and just started asking questions about the whole experience. i found the people super friendly and willing to talk to a newb with questions. there are 2 types of competitors...ones that want to win and know all the tips and angles. they seem to shoot both pistol and rifle in the same pistol caliber, usually .357 mag so they can shoot .38 sp out of them. and the folks who just want to shoot and have fun so they dress to the hilt, blast with several big bore calibers and have the time of their lives. oh, i never did start cowboy shooting.

*subscribed*

I was interested in Cowboy shooting too, same as greencobra, went to a match at Harvard and watched, talked and listened! Realized it was a little too rich for my blood to jump right in.
At the match they had a few Colts for $ale, a very nice used matching set for serious money!
I ended up buying a Ruger Vaquero in .357 elsewhere, just for the fun of it. When I hit the lottery, maybe I'll look into it again. Does look like a lot of fun!

There are two cowboy action matches this weekend (9/5 & 6, 2019). The Mansfield Marauders at Mansfield F&G and the Harvard Ghostriders at Harvard Sportsmens Club.
Greencobra offers very solid info in his post, attending a number of matches will help you sort out all the variables regarding equipment and categories.
You can not go wrong with a pair of Ruger New Vaqueros on 38/357 and a Uberti 1873 Winchester clone in the same caliber. The shotgun can be a double barrel 12 gauge or a Winchester or clone in 1897 configuration. Not necessary to begin with "tuned up" equipment but if you decide to stay with it those guns can be "improved" with some modifications (speed not reliability).
There are lots of different avenues for fun & learning if you decide to get involved.
Stogie

*subscribed*

I was interested in Cowboy shooting too, same as greencobra, went to a match at Harvard and watched, talked and listened! Realized it was a little too rich for my blood to jump right in.
At the match they had a few Colts for $ale, a very nice used matching set for serious money!
I ended up buying a Ruger Vaquero in .357 elsewhere, just for the fun of it. When I hit the lottery, maybe I'll look into it again. Does look like a lot of fun!
$1600 for a pair of SASS Vaqueros.
Anywhere from $600 - $2K for a lever action.
And the SXS you can probably find one for under $1K.

Around $3500 to $4000 will get you in. That's the cost of a decent target rifle.

OP, there is a match at Harvard in November, it is the last one before winter.

I have been thinking about getting into it, so I have been reading for a while.

The only thing holding me back is dressing up. I think it's a little too much, they need a "modern cowboy" class.

I dont even dress up for Black Powder and at least one person always get pissed off and complains. I always have to tell some old guy to screw. Most people are cool with it, until you shoot better.

I haven't tested the SASS crowd, so I hope they are cooler and maybe a dress shirt, regular jeans and a cowboy hat will be enough.

Last edited:
I'm following this, just because I'm genuinely interested in what gets recommended. May dabble some day in SASS, but I'm currently feeding my USPSA addiction.

I only met Jimmy once, many moons ago, but have been recommending him based on that meeting, his work and no one has ever come back with a negative thing to say about him.

Matt

Jimmy's post. Yeah he can shoot, too:

Cowboy Gun Works
quickdrw-gif.307156

I've made pretty good progress in my eleven years of CAS shooting having won the 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007 and 2006 SASS NH State Championship to add to the TOP GUN at the 2011 SASS North West Regional and the 2010 SASS New England Regional. I was also TOP GUN at the 2009 SASS NC State Championships, TOP GUN at the 2009 and 2006 SASS NJ/DE State Championships and TOP GUN at the 2008 SASS MA/CT/RI State Championships. I'm not shooting that much any longer so I can concentrate on getting the work done for my clients.

Attachments

• quickdrw.gif
    quickdrw.gif
    15.4 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
I only met Jimmy once, many moons ago, but have been recommending him based on that meeting, his work and no one has ever come back with a negative thing to say about him.

Matt

Cowboy Gun Works

On top of his award winning work he shoots:
quickdrw-gif.307156

I've made pretty good progress in my eleven years of CAS shooting having won the 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007 and 2006 SASS NH State Championship to add to the TOP GUN at the 2011 SASS North West Regional and the 2010 SASS New England Regional. I was also TOP GUN at the 2009 SASS NC State Championships, TOP GUN at the 2009 and 2006 SASS NJ/DE State Championships and TOP GUN at the 2008 SASS MA/CT/RI State Championships. I'm not shooting that much any longer so I can concentrate on getting the work done for my clients.
Thanks for sharing. I like that he is not too far.

And looks like you have done really good.

Based on what I read, I guess that getting a Ruger SASS would be a waste, might as well go with a regular Vaquero and have the work done. Right?

I didnt look at the difference in costs yet, between a SASS and a regular Vaquero with the work done.

I have a question ...

Everyone talks about a Short Spur Hammer for the Vaquero. Is that the hammer that already comes with the Bisley and the SASS Vaquero?

Or is it a different hammer for those guns?

I'm confused, and Googling didnt help, it only confused me more. Lol.

I have a question ...

Everyone talks about a Short Spur Hammer for the Vaquero. Is that the hammer that already comes with the Bisley and the SASS Vaquero?

Or is it a different hammer for those guns?

I'm confused, and Googling didnt help, it only confused me more. Lol.
Yes, The hammer on the new SASS Ruger new Vaquero's is the short spur hammer. Very good for single action cowboy shooting. Jimmy Spurs at the Cowboy Gunworks will bend them a little on request for left/right shooting (gunfighters). Not really necessary, my recollection of when I bought mine is that they were good to go right out of the box for all but the most demanding cowboys.
On a side note, a little trip down memory lane when I read the Acme Armament build post, I had them transferred to Adam's shop.
Stogie

Yes, The hammer on the new SASS Ruger new Vaquero's is the short spur hammer. Very good for single action cowboy shooting. Jimmy Spurs at the Cowboy Gunworks will bend them a little on request for left/right shooting (gunfighters). Not really necessary, my recollection of when I bought mine is that they were good to go right out of the box for all but the most demanding cowboys.
On a side note, a little trip down memory lane when I read the Acme Armament build post, I had them transferred to Adam's shop.
Stogie
Now it all makes sense. I Emailed Jimmy this past week, based on your recommendation, on the cost of building two guns and he also passed a small cost for the Short Spur Hammer. That confused me, but now it makes sense. It is probably the work he does to bend it over a little ... which I want done. I want it as low as possible.

I was going to have him get the guns, do the work and transfer them, but I'm only 1.5 hours away, so I might buy the guns and bring them over. That way I can speak with him. I prefer face to face business. And I'm sure there are quite a few things I can learn from him.

Now it all makes sense. I Emailed Jimmy this past week, based on your recommendation, on the cost of building two guns and he also passed a small cost for the Short Spur Hammer. That confused me, but now it makes sense. It is probably the work he does to bend it over a little ... which I want done. I want it as low as possible.

I was going to have him get the guns, do the work and transfer them, but I'm only 1.5 hours away, so I might buy the guns and bring them over. That way I can speak with him. I prefer face to face business. And I'm sure there are quite a few things I can learn from him.
Heres is a suggestion if you think you want to start cowboy shooting: go with the stock Ruger SASS new Vaqueros to get started with your handguns and ask Jimmy to build you a Uberti 1873 rifle. His rifles are really good. Night & day difference from a stock rifle and so much fun to shoot (fast or half fast depending on practice and skill level)

Heres is a suggestion if you think you want to start cowboy shooting: go with the stock Ruger SASS new Vaqueros to get started with your handguns and ask Jimmy to build you a Uberti 1873 rifle. His rifles are really good. Night & day difference from a stock rifle and so much fun to shoot (fast or half fast depending on practice and skill level)
Good call.

Uberti makes the rifles for Cimarron, right?... or is it Pedersoli that makes them for Cimarron?

The short spur hammer is the one from the Super Blackhawk that people are using in the regular Vaqueros. The SASS ones I don’t believe are Mass Compliant. Although you might find a way to get them.

I was at the CAS event at Harvard today.

First, what an awesome club Harvard is. It is huge and has quite a few smaller ranges. The CAS section was great with 3 ranges.

Second, the people were great. I met quite a few guys, everyone was great offering advice and offering to let me shoot their guns. Unfortunately, I went with my girl (who doesnt like guns but doesnt mind me owning guns), and by lunch time she was tired and hangry (that's not a typo). Lol.

I'm glad to see the clothing requirements are not super strict unless you are shooting classic cowboy.

I would have loved to hang out for longer.

Everyone knew Jimmy Spur or at least heard of his work, no one had anything bad to say about him.

It's too bad this was the last shoot, I definitely want to go back. I will hopefully have some guns when they start again next year and I will not bring her.

I wish becoming a member at Harvard wasnt so hard.

There will be another shoot at Mansfield this Saturday. I will be there checking it out and trying out some guns.

Attending one the local level CAS events motivated me to finally fix up the action on my Uberti Cattleman .45.
It was out of time, horrible trigger pull and would always overtravel if cocked too vigorously. I had never been interested in SASS/ CAS and had only bought that gun on a whim but slowly I’m collecting a few things to get me into local matches. Now I need to find another nickel plated 4 3/4” Cattleman! ;)

Attending one the local level CAS events motivated me to finally fix up the action on my Uberti Cattleman .45.
It was out of time, horrible trigger pull and would always overtravel if cocked too vigorously. I had never been interested in SASS/ CAS and had only bought that gun on a whim but slowly I’m collecting a few things to get me into local matches. Now I need to find another nickel plated 4 3/4” Cattleman! ;)
We need pics of that gun.

Will do bro, later tonight.

I miss running the Excruciathlon with you, by the way! Maybe it'll be back on again some day. Which reminds me it's time to make another donation to Monadnock. It's been a few months.
Hell yeah. Did we finish second last time?

I'm ready for first place.

Back
Top Bottom