• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Savage A17

it's a varmint's worst nightmare. looks awesome to me. i love 17HMR. had a 93r17 a while ago but sold it. was fantastic bolt action rifle. laser accurate.

IMO one of the best things about 17HMR is its so easy to carry like 200 rounds on your person...weighs nothing.

There have been a few attempts at 17hmr semi autos, most ended in failure. I'd love to see a successful platform and would definitely be interested in it, but I'll be waiting until these are proven before I invest in one.

Are the magazines better than the usual shitty podunk mags that Savage has for their other rimfire rifles?

The A17.mags look good. Pretty sure theyre rotary like a 10/22 not the crappy style stamped mags like their 22lr models.

Resurrecting this thread from the NES tombs...

I have had an itch for an A17 for a while, just been waiting for the right time. Well the time has arrived...
1.) My employer just reimbursed me for a course I took so I have the dough.
2.) My wife says I have been a good boy and am due a new gun.
3.) My wife is also on-board because she has recently started shooting my rifles and thinks this one "looks cool."

The standard A17 (47001) is going for around $390.
However, I figure in-for-a-penny-in-for-a-pound, and tomorrow I am going to ask my LGS if they can get me a A17 (47005). This model has a grey wood laminate stock with chin rest and thumb-hole grip, also a heavy fluted barrel. They are on GB for around $490 so if my LGS can get reasonably close that will be cool with me (got to keep them in business).

hRFeIPf.jpg

Naturally the scope is not included, I am going to have to start researching an appropriate one.

However, I figure in-for-a-penny-in-for-a-pound, and tomorrow I am going to ask my LGS if they can get me a A17 (47005). They are on GB for around $490 so if my LGS can get reasonably close that will be cool with me (got to keep them in business).

Special ordered the rifle through The Minuteman Armory yesterday (wife and I both thought the new location looked great guys).
A very reasonable price was negotiated and the rifle will be in next week.

Next thing was to find a scope for the rifle. I decided on a Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44 AO with a BDC reticle. The fact that it got good reviews, was Amazon Prime, and I had a $50 gift card helped, but clearly it was the free hat that sealed the deal. [laugh]
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XY4XT4Q/

I still have to get some good weaver mount 1" scope rings that are tall enough (just) for a 44 mm objective lens. I am open to suggestion, if anyone has any thoughts?

P.S.> Hornady .17 HMR V-Max (17 gr) is on unadvertised sale at Cabela's, the website says $13.99 a box, but I was just there and bought 15 boxes at $10.99 each.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/740432.uts

Picked the rifle up last Friday, my thanks to the guys at Minuteman Armory.

The laminated wood stock is made for Savage by Boyds Gunstocks
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/

You can see below after separating the stock from the barrel/receiver and trigger housing that, despite the QC inspection signatures, there were a just few stray bits of wood that really should have been cleaned up before they applied the lacquer (I gently knocked them down with some 600 grit paper). The laminating of the wood is clearly visible in the second of these two photos. BTW you have to remove the stock to this point, then remove the trigger housing from the receiver, and then slide the bolt out to complete the field strip (yeah a bit involved).

n5Lehvt.jpg

cfuYUI4.jpg

The heavy barrel is really deceiving when you look at the rifle side-on compared to seeing the business end and the actual .17 bore.

3ZnwDs7.jpg

I decided on Burris "Signature Zee" rings with 0/0 inserts as you can see below, they were not torqued at that point. Was a good opportunity for me to use the Husky in/lb torque screwdriver I bought a while ago. As I mentioned earlier the scope I selected is a Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44 AO and I would have to say it is a really good scope for the money.

qbJbxw2.jpg

I finally got it out to the range today. It looks nice, it shoots great and I am glad I bought it -- however, I do not think I could recommend it simply based on the magazine retention clip which is a pain in the ass to engage. The rotary magazine functions just fine but the clip on the front of it (not visible in this photo) is difficult to catch in place in the rifle's mag well.
(BTW I know the photo below looks staged but honestly that is just the way my junk was laying around, looked nice in retrospect)

dYUjg8k.jpg

It took I while to get the scope reasonably dialed at 50 yds the photo below is a three shot group from once I was satisfied. I then moved out to 100 yds where it remained true on windage but I had to bring the mark down a few clicks but I got very similar results. Sorry I do not have any photos at 100 I had to pack up in kind of a hurry.
(BTW in the photo below ignore the hole at 11:00 I was reusing a target that had just that hole in it [laugh] )

69dmuWN.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom