Savage Arms makes a 1911? Who knew?

The best part of these 1911s is how they rattle like a can of spraypaint until you send it to Greg Derr and have him fix it/finish building it for a few hundo
Well with Smith it depends on the day of the week your gun was made or something I've seen Smith 1911 that were very well fitted and then there were other ones that were like basically fit it so poorly that the gun was beating itself to death. Years ago, one guy I ran into at a pin shoot had a new Smith 1911, and basically, the lugs were starting to get rounded off because the lockup wasn't set up correctly..... 🤣

Mauser is also making 1911's now, I just heard about these too.

View attachment 710023
Does that say .22 LR?

And what's up with all the writing on the side of the slide and those 3 screws/pins/whatever they are over the trigger?

And those 3 holes on the front sight.

Ugly AF.

Probably the ugliest 1911 posted so far.

I wonder if they market the 1911 as "the gun that beat us in 2 world wars".

Last edited:
What I don’t understand is why don’t they make them double stack? Make them be able to stand out in a crowded market. Or make a relatively inexpensive 2011? I know a very few make them now, but if more got in the market it would help drive the prices down.

Does that say .22 LR?

You're right, I missed that.
Technically it's still a 1911, just not in Gods caliber as JMB intended.

jmbrown.jpg

What I don’t understand is why don’t they make them double stack? Make them be able to stand out in a crowded market. Or make a relatively inexpensive 2011? I know a very few make them now, but if more got in the market it would help drive the prices down.
Because 2011s are finicky and its much harder to make a 2011 thats not doodoo. And junk doesn't drive prices down at all it just enters the market as junk. You're not getting anything cheaper than RIA, Citadel, SDS/turkatron anyways. Some of those skinflint guns actually can be okay but a lot of them are rough around the edges. If you really want a cheap 2011 I think RIA makes a fewskin flint 2011s.... .

You're right, I missed that.
Technically it's still a 1911, just not in Gods caliber as JMB intended.

jmbrown.jpg
It's basically just a 1911 airsoft gun chassis with a rifled barrel inside it... lol. I wonder if that one is made by Umarex too.... 🤣

It's basically just a 1911 airsoft gun chassis with a rifled barrel inside it... lol. I wonder if that one is made by Umarex too.... 🤣

I have the Colt branded version, it's actually a pretty decent gun, mine has been mostly reliable, and it was cheap too, but the mags are on the expensive side.

Here ... too new to know if it is any good.

A 1911 and a SIG had a baby. I wonder if it will go off when it is dropped (says SIG DNA).

Because 2011s are finicky and its much harder to make a 2011 thats not doodoo. And junk doesn't drive prices down at all it just enters the market as junk. You're not getting anything cheaper than RIA, Citadel, SDS/turkatron anyways. Some of those skinflint guns actually can be okay but a lot of them are rough around the edges. If you really want a cheap 2011 I think RIA makes a fewskin flint 2011s.... .
I don't know enough about 1911 to make a smart comment about this, so I will ask to learn something new ...

Double stack guns are nothing new. What is it about the 45 ACP that makes it sh*tty for this?

Here is my para double stack 7 inch 9mm long slide. It was just welded and test fired, it works well. Still need to parkerize it to finish it up. I have a bunch of Paras and love them. Someday I will build a 2011 from an 80% frame.

Attachments

• FAD4E7B0-7F28-4DEE-BF01-A356C82EDDF5.jpeg
    FAD4E7B0-7F28-4DEE-BF01-A356C82EDDF5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
I don't know enough about 1911 to make a smart comment about this, so I will ask to learn something new ...

Double stack guns are nothing new. What is it about the 45 ACP that makes it sh*tty for this?

It's not so much double stack 45s in general as it is guns that are based off 1911 type designs with the swinging link and all that of course you look at 2011s and its this melange of stuff going on inside. If it uses any principal like controlled feed on a 1911 if something is a little out of whack it will jam the gun. I think the guns not having big operation windows doesn't help. Most 2011s aren't exactly sloppy and for good reason. On the other hand you take a Glock 21 and basically if you were to describe the way that Gun works, you're basically just "tossing Soup cans into a dumpster with the lid open"

2011s are like prude girls that will only be bedded if the stars align. A g21, Xd 45, HK usp, or similar are like those girls on those old bang bus videos. 🤣

It's not so much double stack 45s in general as it is guns that are based off 1911 type designs with the swinging link and all that of course you look at 2011s and its this melange of stuff going on inside. If it uses any principal like controlled feed on a 1911 if something is a little out of whack it will jam the gun. I think the guns not having big operation windows doesn't help. Most 2011s aren't exactly sloppy and for good reason. On the other hand you take a Glock 21 and basically if you were to describe the way that Gun works, you're basically just "tossing Soup cans into a dumpster with the lid open"

2011s are like prude girls that will only be bedded if the stars align. A g21, Xd 45, HK usp, or similar are like those girls on those old bang bus videos. 🤣
Very interesting.

So, instead of designing a gun with the same grip angle as a 1911 for comfort, but changing everything else to improve reliability, the 2011 chooses to keep everything like a 1911 and deal with a giant pain in the @ss.

Is that accurate?

I need to read more about this.

@Broc I think that HK was really the only one that figured out how to make a very reliable DS 45 that still maintained a high level of accuracy the problem is with those guns you pay for it with high bore axis and other weirdness. That's another challenge with 2011s the part arrangement to maintain a low bore axis gets tricky.

I think the other part of the problem is it's difficult to design a more reliable mechanism while still maintaining the Great insanely good 1911 style trigger mechanism which let's be honest is one of the big selling points of those platforms. If 1911 triggers were dog s*** on average nobody would buy those things and the platform would have died a long time ago. So I think that the geometry of those kinds of parts influences design. Believe it or not S&W had a great hybrid it was called the SW 945. They basically got rid of The Swinging link b******* but maintained most of the ergonomics of the 1911 platform and sold those guns with generally incredible triggers..... Smith would have had something revolutionary if they had been a little more Savvy about the marketing and the development of the product. They did not make a double stack one to the best of my knowledge either

@Broc I think that HK was really the only one that figured out how to make a very reliable DS 45 that still maintained a high level of accuracy the problem is with those guns you pay for it with high bore axis and other weirdness. That's another challenge with 2011s the part arrangement to maintain a low bore axis gets tricky.
I’d have to disagree a bit and say STI (Now Staccato) was a very good producer of 2011 pistols. I picked up a STI Marauder a few years back and still use it as my favorite production race gun. It’s been rock solid.

I’d have to disagree a bit and say STI (Now Staccato) was a very good producer of 2011 pistols. I picked up a STI Marauder a few years back and still use it as my favorite production race gun. It’s been rock solid.
Yes they make a good gun but let's be honest here 2011 as a generality are f****** dumpster fires. At various kinds of competitions I've seen more 2011's f*** up/malfunction badly then basically every other handgun combined together, in fairness though they're more likely to get tinkered with, and people do gay shit with them like run weak springs, mouse farts and make their triggers too touchy. I was at a USPSA match once where this lady who had one in our squad, her gun malfed constantly. Then the frosting was put on the cake about 3 stages in when the gun fired merely because she put it in battery and she got DQed.

Also I've never heard of a platform where mag tuning is actually a thing until I ran into people that actually run 2011s. Then i find guys with $100-$150 magazines... wtaf. They can keep that stuff. I look at those guns like those Anschutz high precision 22lr rifles. Good for the specialized use but basically a drum of aids for anyone else.

Food for thought.... when Dan Wesson announced the dwx a lot of people were excited for good reason because many desperately want to get away from their f***ing piece of s*** 2011.... 🤣 and the associated drama. 🤣 nobody will admit it but that's 110% true.

Also back in the day I had a gunsmith I used to give a lot of work to and usually he'd be bringing a bag of guns to test at the range usually that bag would have at least a few widebodies in it, although a lot of them were paras hed have STIs and the like, too.

Yes they make a good gun but let's be honest here 2011 as a generality are f****** dumpster fires. At various kinds of competitions I've seen more 2011's f*** up/malfunction badly then basically every other handgun combined together, in fairness though they're more likely to get tinkered with, and people do gay shit with them like run weak springs, mouse farts and make their triggers too touchy. I was at a USPSA match once where this lady who had one in our squad, her gun malfed constantly. Then the frosting was put on the cake about 3 stages in when the gun fired merely because she put it in battery and she got DQed.

Also I've never heard of a platform where mag tuning is actually a thing until I ran into people that actually run 2011s. Then i find guys with $100-$150 magazines... wtaf. They can keep that stuff. I look at those guns like those Anschutz high precision 22lr rifles. Good for the specialized use but basically a drum of aids for anyone else.

Food for thought.... when Dan Wesson announced the dwx a lot of people were excited for good reason because many desperately want to get away from their f***ing piece of s*** 2011.... 🤣 and the associated drama. 🤣 nobody will admit it but that's 110% true.

Also back in the day I had a gunsmith I used to give a lot of work to and usually he'd be bringing a bag of guns to test at the range usually that bag would have at least a few widebodies in it, although a lot of them were paras hed have STIs and the like, too.
Anyone that buys a +$4K race gun and needs to play with the springs is either a f*cking moron or the gun is a major piece of sh*t they overpaid for. For that money, it better give me a hand job while I shoot it.

If I have to pay +$4K for the gun and then f*ck with it, I might as well buy a $1,500 - $2K gun, give it to a good gun smith and spend $1K on parts and labor. I will get a better product the way I want it. With the added bonus of costing less.

Also:
but basically a drum of aids for anyone else.
[rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl]

Anyone that buys a +$4K race gun and needs to play with the springs is either a f*cking moron or the gun is a major piece of sh*t they overpaid for. For that money, it better give me a hand job while I shoot it.

If I have to pay +$4K for the gun and then f*ck with it, I might as well buy a $1,500 - $2K gun, give it to a good gun smith and spend $1K on parts and labor. I will get a better product the way I want it. With the added bonus of costing less.

Also:

[rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl]

Completely agree. I got lucky in that a fellow NESer was selling the Marauder for $1500 with 6 mags. I was the first “l’ll take it” but there were several people stacked up behind me. Good buy as I’ve not had to do anything too it.

Completely agree. I got lucky in that a fellow NESer was selling the Marauder for $1500 with 6 mags. I was the first “l’ll take it” but there were several people stacked up behind me. Good buy as I’ve not had to do anything too it.
I want to clarify, I looked at the price of their RACE guns. I am sure they have cheaper guns that would need some work to make them race ready.

Very interesting.

So, instead of designing a gun with the same grip angle as a 1911 for comfort, but changing everything else to improve reliability, the 2011 chooses to keep everything like a 1911 and deal with a giant pain in the @ss.

Is that accurate?

I need to read more about this.
Well someone tried not too long ago. Why one of the other manufacturers didn't pick up the intellectual property and run with it. *shrug*
4nhuc54KUrIYRZSlobywNSYKE8w0JPe8l5eintZT.jpeg

That is not a bad looking gun. The front looks like a taser, but it is not horrible.
I had an H9. It actually was cool idea, gun ran great, I sold it a few months before they folded. Probably would have been a decent gun but i think the company was just killed by bad business practices.

Theoretically, nothing. CZ had the 97B which is discontinued now but was double stack and excellent. I have a SAR K2 clone which is also very good

Back
Top Bottom