• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SAVAGE AXIS II PICATINNY RAIL #8-40 screws

Apologize in advance if this has already been discussed but did a search and could not find an answer anywhere. Just picked up a Savage Axis II at a local well known trading post in New England in .270 for the upcoming deer season. I went with it due to budget and the fact that I will not be shooting past 150 yards MAX where I hunt. I'm sure many will have an opinion on better options but this is the one I went with since the money was right, and it will be trounced around in the woods, deer stands, etc... I bought a vortex Diamondback scope and asked them to mount it. Problem is, they could not find ANY setup that would accommodate. Main issue is they need #8-40 screws to mount it. I have scope rings but they are made for a picatinny rail which I would prefer to use anyways. Looked on line and found EGW that makes them on Amazon with the #8-40 screws but it doesn't say it is for the Savage Axis II. The ones I found are for Winchesters.

Don't want to hunt around for the right one without knowing it will fit properly. I also don't want to drill out the holes on the rail and buy the #8-40 screws and to be honest I don't think I should have to. Anyone else run into this and have a recommendation? Thanks in advance!

Well I found one by EGW but they are out of stock so I am out of luck right now... Any other brands that may work?

SKU:
41800-8

SAVAGE AXIS PICATINNY RAIL 0 MOA DRILLED FOR #8-40 SCREWS​

$39.99
Availability: Out of stock

I got some 8/32s that we could make fit!!

Nothing wrong with 270, it’s a great caliber.

In casual conversations with gunsmiths over the years, mention has been made a couple of times of turning screws from stock to replace some missing screw. So your local gunsmith might be an option.

The rings are called Weaver style I have them on most of my rifles any good gun shop should have Weaver base mounts for a Savage. The picatinny rail will give you more lee way in mounting a scope as far as eye relief goes.

Last edited:
Apologize in advance if this has already been discussed but did a search and could not find an answer anywhere. Just picked up a Savage Axis II at a local well known trading post in New England in .270 for the upcoming deer season. I went with it due to budget and the fact that I will not be shooting past 150 yards MAX where I hunt. I'm sure many will have an opinion on better options but this is the one I went with since the money was right, and it will be trounced around in the woods, deer stands, etc... I bought a vortex Diamondback scope and asked them to mount it. Problem is, they could not find ANY setup that would accommodate. Main issue is they need #8-40 screws to mount it. I have scope rings but they are made for a picatinny rail which I would prefer to use anyways. Looked on line and found EGW that makes them on Amazon with the #8-40 screws but it doesn't say it is for the Savage Axis II. The ones I found are for Winchesters.

Don't want to hunt around for the right one without knowing it will fit properly. I also don't want to drill out the holes on the rail and buy the #8-40 screws and to be honest I don't think I should have to. Anyone else run into this and have a recommendation? Thanks in advance!
Tell everyone its 6.5 Heavy Creedmor

Are you sure your rifle is taped for 8-40?

Last edited:
THANK YOU! I tried finding that high and low and could not find it. That is the same sku number EGW shows on their website. I have ordered it, hopefully it is not something different.

Shorts and longs here. They are $6 per pack. Just buy both and use what works.

this was my experience with an Axis II, 270. Mine were 6-48 screws. I used the Weaver one piece rail called the classic Multi-slot base. numbers on the package are 506 and 48347. Came with 4 screws, two shorts, two long. The short was actually too long for the most forward screw. That screw hole is dead ended against the barrel. Had to grind that one down. my rifle is about 5 years old.

Back
Top Bottom