Savage rifle experts... need help

peterk123

NES Member
I got my wife a savage lady hunter in 6.5 creed. Nice gun. I also picked up some talley scope rings at the shop. I go to mount them but the base bolts are too big. The package has 8-40 on the label. I think I need 6-48. It's a savage 11. Can anyone confirm my assumption? Thx Pete

I got my wife a savage lady hunter in 6.5 creed. Nice gun. I also picked up some talley scope rings at the shop. I go to mount them but the base bolts are too big. The package has 8-40 on the label. I think I need 6-48. It's a savage 11. Can anyone confirm my assumption? Thx Pete
Yes, Savage has used both 8-40 and 6-48 mounts on the 10/110 series rifles, so you need to find a mount that works with what you have. As an example of that, EGW Hunter series mounts ship with both 6-48 and 8-40 screws. The 6-48 screws they use have oversize heads that fit the 8-48 holes drilled in the mount. I haven't used Talley at all. Are those rings direct mount to the receiver?

ETA: Went to look at Talley, they do offer both screw size mounts for Savage. Steel Base for Savage Round Receiver w/ Accutrigger

Yep common problem. I emailed EGW and the sent me the right parts for my rifle. BA10 Stealth, wanted a 20moa rail

Yes, Savage has used both 8-40 and 6-48 mounts on the 10/110 series rifles, so you need to find a mount that works with what you have. As an example of that, EGW Hunter series mounts ship with both 6-48 and 8-40 screws. The 6-48 screws they use have oversize heads that fit the 8-48 holes drilled in the mount. I haven't used Talley at all. Are those rings direct mount to the receiver?

ETA: Went to look at Talley, they do offer both screw size mounts for Savage. Steel Base for Savage Round Receiver w/ Accutrigger
Yes, direct mount.

If EGW would sell you a set of their 6-48 screws with the #8 heads, that might work. The length might be wrong, but if they're too long can always be shortened.

ETA: Found a pic of those direct mount Talley rings - they look good. Is one of those screws really long, or is it recessed deep?

Back
Top Bottom