Save the Second Amendment

kingfisher

NES Member
Save the Second – Integrity, Accountability, Transparency
A coalition of Second Amendment supporters working to strengthen the National Rifle Association from the inside... NRA members, prospective members, and former members with grave concerns about the recent reports of gross mismanagement and the slow response from NRA leadership.

The five goals they're working on are:

1. Smaller Board
Our Board of Directors should be lean, efficient, and focused on quality over quantity.

2. Term Limits
Fresh perspectives and new ideas are just as important as seniority and tenure.

3. Director Attendance
No more service in absentia. We want our elected leaders to show up and govern.

4. Member Engagement
We encourage members to get involved, to cast informed votes, and to hold their elected leaders accountable.

5. Exclusive 2A Focus
The NRA should focus on firearms-related activities and causes (gun safety, education & training, recreation, competition, hunting, collecting, advocacy, etc.). Let's get back on track.

They've rolled out their first proposed bylaw amendment, and that's the one to require minimum attendance for directors. In order to get that amendment on the agenda for a vote at the September board meeting, they need 250 signatures by August 1st.

Here are instructions on how to sign the petition: Sign the Petitions – Save the Second

Last edited:
Jeez we could have used a little more heads up than 8 days before deadline! ;)

Printed, signed, and I'll stick it in the mail first thing tomorrow.

I waited until the last few days so that only the people who REALLY care about the Second Amendment would bother to get involved and have something to feel proud of when WLP is gone. [laugh]

A question has been raised about what "advocacy" means in my post above, but let's not pick apart an outline of a plan that holds so much promise. I applaud these people for trying to fix the NRA. If anybody has a better idea about how to advocate for our basic human rights, I'll support you too.

In the meantime, most of us are frustrated with the way the NRA is being run, and the goal of this new organization is to make the advocacy that was mentioned here different in the future than it's been in the recent past. What I copied from their website is a framework to help us move forward, and let's not forget #4 of the platform:

Member Engagement
We encourage members to get involved, to cast informed votes, and to hold their elected leaders accountable.

I think there's a lot of positive here to get behind. Everyone has an opportunity to get involved and influence the process to make it better.

You omitted "Stop telling members how to vote when you send out the ballot".

It's true that they didn't specifically say that, Rob, but as I noted before, it's just an outline. Not everything can be listed because then it would be too long, and nobody would read it.

I'd like to think they've got your concern covered with the "Integrity, Accountability, Transparency" part in the first line of the OP.

Back
Top Bottom