SBR: Form 1 vs Form 4

Looking to purchase a SBR, but have no experience with NFA items. It appears that I have 2 options.

It appears that I would use Form 1 if I am personally building a SBR. For example if I were to buy an AR pistol and then would like to add a stock I would use a Form 1.

Versus if I were to buy an existing SBR I would use Form 4.

The Form 1 can also be filed electronically, while the Form 4 is paper and may take up to a year.

Am I missing anything else?

Looking to purchase a SBR, but have no experience with NFA items. It appears that I have 2 options.

It appears that I would use Form 1 if I am personally building a SBR. For example if I were to buy an AR pistol and then would like to add a stock I would use a Form 1.

Versus if I were to buy an existing SBR I would use Form 4.

The Form 1 can also be filed electronically, while the Form 4 is paper and may take up to a year.

Am I missing anything else?
EForm 4s are live now too. EForm 1s are are a couple of weeks and eForm 4s are 90ish days. You should do both really.

Edit to add there are some mega threads that cover both processes.

I submitted my first two form 1s at the beginning of the month. The first one was disapproved and refund initiated a few weeks later because I attached the wrong version of the responsible person questionnaire PDF without the date and my signature. I guess they don't give you ANY chance to fix minor errors or upload the correct document. Just reject and start over. Crickets on the other one which thankfully does have the right PDF uploaded.

EForm 4s are live now too. EForm 1s are are a couple of weeks and eForm 4s are 90ish days. You should do both really.

Edit to add there are some mega threads that cover both processes.
I'm just beginning the process for a Form 1. Plan on e-filing as a Trust for an SBR, however, I'm seeing comments on other forums, etc that it's much longer than a couple of weeks, unless I'm reading it wrong. Just wondering if you have better info.

I submitted my first two form 1s at the beginning of the month. The first one was disapproved and refund initiated a few weeks later because I attached the wrong version of the responsible person questionnaire PDF without the date and my signature. I guess they don't give you ANY chance to fix minor errors or upload the correct document. Just reject and start over. Crickets on the other one which thankfully does have the right PDF uploaded.
Yeah, the FDA claimed that they wouldn’t allow corrections after eForms came back but they do sometimes. I think it’s based on the approved. You can always try a correction using ask the experts. I just did an eForm one and I tabbed off the model to quickly and I put the model in as a SAM7K-44, because some other dummy used it, that out it in the drop down list. I got and email asking me to confirm it’s actually a SAM7K and I confirmed it and it was approved minutes later. This was February 2022.

I'm just beginning the process for a Form 1. Plan on e-filing as a Trust for an SBR, however, I'm seeing comments on other forums, etc that it's much longer than a couple of weeks, unless I'm reading it wrong. Just wondering if you have better info.
People have posted a lot of 10 to 15 day approvals with receipts in the r/NFA sub. I had two in April that were 8 and 10 days. There are also a lot of people waiting longer, it’s hard to say for sure.

Last edited:
Yeah, the FDA claimed that they wouldn’t allow corrections after eForms came back but they do sometimes. I think it’s based on the approved. You can always try a correction using ask the experts. I just did an eForm one and I tabbed off the model to quickly and I put the model in as a SAM7K-44, because some other dummy used it, that out it in the drop down list. I got and email asking me to confirm it’s actually a SAM7K and I confirmed it and it was approved minutes later. This was February 2022.
Dude. I have a SAM7 AK rifle but would love an AK SBR. Got any pics of that beauty?!

Dude. I have a SAM7 AK rifle but would love an AK SBR. Got any pics of that beauty?!
It’s still a bit of a work in progress. I’m waiting for the silencer to be approved, it needs to index of the front sight. I may want to add a red dot, I was going to look to see if I could source something from Bulgaria, make it an all Bulgarian build. Deciding if I want to add a mount capable dust cover or the side mount. The side mounts are unobtainable. I’m told I need to add a KNS adjustable gas piston to handle the additional flow restriction from the silencer. For my first AK, I kind of love it.

716C69B4-ADAF-47BA-B19B-2C976B181A93.jpeg

It’s still a bit of a work in progress. I’m waiting for the silencer to be approved, it needs to index of the front sight. I may want to add a red dot, I was going to look to see if I could source something from Bulgaria, make it an all Bulgarian build. Deciding if I want to add a mount capable dust cover or the side mount. The side mounts are unobtainable. I’m told I need to add a KNS adjustable gas piston to handle the additional flow restriction from the silencer. For my first AK, I kind of love it.

View attachment 620723
Badass. That is slick. How are the iron sights on those?

Finished the efile Form 1 for an SBR today. Sent in the cover letter and two sets of prints. I know there's already a thread on it, but figured seeing it was discussed here too I'd mention it.

Form 1 question for everyone here, looking to form one a mossberg 590 shockwave receiver into a SBS (14-3/8” barrel not the MA version as I know that is a no-no in MA).

What is everyone putting as your “reason for SBR?” On the form 1?

This would be my first form 1 experience.

Am I better off just going with a SB tactical pistol brace? I have heard conflicting information on this and it’s legality.

Form 1 question for everyone here, looking to form one a mossberg 590 shockwave receiver into a SBS (14-3/8” barrel not the MA version as I know that is a no-no in MA).

What is everyone putting as your “reason for SBR?” On the form 1?

This would be my first form 1 experience.

Am I better off just going with a SB tactical pistol brace? I have heard conflicting information on this and it’s legality.
IIRC, I put "All lawful purposes" on my recent SBR Form 1.

What if you want to chop a 16 inch barrel to like a 10 inch?
As well as threading it for future purposes.
Pcc 9mm and 45acp

Also, is there a form walkthrough(how to fill it out) somewhere on here?

What if you want to chop a 16 inch barrel to like a 10 inch?
As well as threading it for future purposes.
Pcc 9mm and 45acp

Also, is there a form walkthrough(how to fill it out) somewhere on here?

View: https://youtu.be/bkFUDDqDZos

But for those in MA, you MUST upload copy of LTC under the electronic documents section

I have never purchased a SBR. If you were to purchase one, is the form filed before hand or after the purchase? I’ve wanted a SBR pre-ban for a bit, and I cant’ seem to figure out how to go about it easily.

I have never purchased a SBR. If you were to purchase one, is the form filed before hand or after the purchase? I’ve wanted a SBR pre-ban for a bit, and I cant’ seem to figure out how to go about it easily.
The Form is filed after the purchase, but before the transfer. The Form 4 is an Application for Transfer and Registration of Firearm. If you find your unicorn online, you pay for it and it transfers (tax free) to your local FFL on a Form 3. Once there, you complete the Form 4 to transfer it from the FFL to you. It sits in his "jail" until the Form 4 clears. If you find one locally, it's kind of like a regular firearms purchase: you fork over the $$ and then you complete and the dealer submits your Form 4 to transfer the item to you. Think of it as a more involved 4473 that takes a lot longer to come back "approved."

Last edited:
Just wanted to update this.

Purchased a Sig MCX TACOPS in 300 blackout and a Q Suppressor Full Nelson.

Going the Silencer Shop kiosk this week to complete the eForm 4.

Plan to remove the brace from the Sig and add a stock via Form 1.

Back
Top Bottom