SBR Help

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone can recommend me a shop in the south shore area to help me with the process and a few questions regarding the NFA forms and engraving and acquiring stamps for a few lowers in my possession.
Thank you in advance!

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone can recommend me a shop in the south shore area to help me with the process and a few questions regarding the NFA forms and engraving and acquiring stamps for a few lowers in my possession.
Thank you in advance!
There is a thread for this.
ATF eForm 1 mega thread. Process and approvals!

But a couple basics.
If you're in MA, either the SBR has to conform to the AWB or the lowers need to be pre-ban.
You don't need a shop to do this, it's all on-line.
Engraving is done after approval, there are a number of people doing it, I use a guy in Epping NH but I'm in NH so...
Get/use an NFA trust.

I guess my concern comes from the fingerprints more than the form itself, I am more than capable of filling out the forms. When it comes to my prints, that's a different story. When processing them for my ltc my local pd could only get my two pinky fingers to register machine approved prints. I attribute this to my childhood and early adult years growing up working with sandpaper as my primary means of making a living and being a machinist now, which has destroyed my prints. I'd like a scan method of guaranteed knowing the atf will accept my prints. I do also know of the many services available at the mill, but would like to be able to keep it a bit more local if possible to put an ease on my already fleeting free time.

There is a thread for this.
ATF eForm 1 mega thread. Process and approvals!

But a couple basics.
If you're in MA, either the SBR has to conform to the AWB or the lowers need to be pre-ban.
You don't need a shop to do this, it's all on-line.
Engraving is done after approval, there are a number of people doing it, I use a guy in Epping NH but I'm in NH so...
Get/use an NFA trust.
Lowers or rifles do not need to be pre-ban to stamp them.

Fill out your eform online
Print your stuff off and send in with your finger prints
Receive your stamp and build your rifle
Engrave and your done

There is a place on the South Shore for engraving but I forget the name of it…

Lowers or rifles do not need to be pre-ban to stamp them.
That's not what I said. I said they have to conform to the AWB if they aren't pre-ban. Being limited to a fixed mag or 10 rounds seems weird to me, but hey, if it's ok with you it's ok with me. And all my SBRs have a functional folding stock.... Ok, I'm in NH so that's not a big deal for me.

That's not what I said. I said they have to conform to the AWB if they aren't pre-ban. Being limited to a fixed mag or 10 rounds seems weird to me, but hey, if it's ok with you it's ok with me. And all my SBRs have a functional folding stock.... Ok, I'm in NH so that's not a big deal for me.
😂😂😂you certainly did say that😂😂😂 1st misread post of 2023!!!😂😂👍🏻

I guess my concern comes from the fingerprints more than the form itself, I am more than capable of filling out the forms. When it comes to my prints, that's a different story. When processing them for my ltc my local pd could only get my two pinky fingers to register machine approved prints. I attribute this to my childhood and early adult years growing up working with sandpaper as my primary means of making a living and being a machinist now, which has destroyed my prints. I'd like a scan method of guaranteed knowing the atf will accept my prints. I do also know of the many services available at the mill, but would like to be able to keep it a bit more local if possible to put an ease on my already fleeting free time.
Go on Amazon and buy the print cards and a ink pad. Less than $25 for both. When you send them in with your paperwork I would highly suggest spending the $20-30 to send them next day air with signature verification. The ATF only gives you 10 days to get them in.

Go on Amazon and buy the print cards and a ink pad. Less than $25 for both. When you send them in with your paperwork I would highly suggest spending the $20-30 to send them next day air with signature verification. The ATF only gives you 10 days to get them in.
But his prints are too light so he's concerned about getting a good print

😂😂😂you certainly did say that😂😂😂 1st misread post of 2023!!!😂😂👍🏻
explain to me how this says you can't use a post ban lower
If it's pre-ban it can be an SBR with a threaded barrel, folding stock, and be non-fixed/standard cap.
If it's not pre-ban it can still be SBR but no folding stock, threaded barrel, or non-fixed/standard cap.

I have had success with the prints just using the cheapo Amazon kit, did that last for my last two stamps - no issues.

Also, while all my SBRs are built on pre-ban lowers, I personally believe the Ma law is very grey on this area and I have a read a number of posts on NES that making a convincing case that SBRs do not fall under the MA AWB. I can see both sides of the arguments, again it’s grey AF in my view

I appreciate all the insight fellas! I definitely didn't know the ups stores do the e prints. As to the regards about compliance I fully plan on a pin and weld the muzzle device, as well as pinning my stock, I really don't see myself having the need to swap muzzle devices or see myself needing the collapsing feature of most stocks. Also, most pin jobs I've seen on traditional collapsing style ar stocks are easily reversible in a short fashion (at least the ones I've seen) and tbh I just don't want the trouble at the range (don't have many places to shoot outside of my local range, if anyone wants to volunteer some land near my dwelling on the south shore though I'm more than happy to oblige lol!) when someone like an RSO finds themselves a bit curious and decides to come investigate the younger guy at the range (I'm new there and definitely one of the younger members there compared to the gen pop of members) with the gun that looks like it doesn't meet compliance. I know, it's not something I should have to deal with in a perfect world, but I find myself straddling the line to find what works best for me, but also buys me legal pliability to be able to justify my ownership of such items when it comes time that I want to actually use the firearm. The insight is always appreciated! Y'all are the best!

You don't have to buy them. They are free from the ATF.

I have had success with the prints just using the cheapo Amazon kit, did that last for my last two stamps - no issues.

Also, while all my SBRs are built on pre-ban lowers, I personally believe the Ma law is very grey on this area and I have a read a number of posts on NES that making a convincing case that SBRs do not fall under the MA AWB. I can see both sides of the arguments, again it’s grey AF in my view
Rolling prints doesn't work. His ridges are too light. A digital scan is what is needed,.

Rolling prints doesn't work. His ridges are too light. A digital scan is what is needed,.
Ya, I missed that he was still doing machine work. I wonder how long it takes ridges to grow back if you give them a break? I have heard of tricks for better prints (warm hands etc), but you’re right, he should just go the digital route.

explain to me how this says you can't use a post ban lower

If it's pre-ban it can be an SBR with a threaded barrel, folding stock, and be non-fixed/standard cap.
If it's not pre-ban it can still be SBR but no folding stock, threaded barrel, or non-fixed/standard cap.
42, u took it the wrong way!😂😂😂

I meant I didn’t read the post right😂😂👍🏻

The SBR is a grey area according to MA laws. I personally follow the AWB. When I leave MA it’s easy to just de-nueter and get rid of the gay brakes anyway👍🏻

Yeah I have horrible prints. Constant cuts through them from dealing with fresh cut metal edges on threads and varisous burred surfaces, having used 36 grit to 2,000 grit to do body work to vehicles and fiberglass repair on boats and trailers, and a shit load of minute metal in the skin isn't the most conducive to great ink prints. I wish I was kidding when I said I only got my two pinky fingers to pass the machine as legible prints but it is what it is I guess. Best be safe than sorry imo at this point to guarantee they can't say that portion is reason for denial atleast.

Yeah I have horrible prints. Constant cuts through them from dealing with fresh cut metal edges on threads and varisous burred surfaces, having used 36 grit to 2,000 grit to do body work to vehicles and fiberglass repair on boats and trailers, and a shit load of minute metal in the skin isn't the most conducive to great ink prints. I wish I was kidding when I said I only got my two pinky fingers to pass the machine as legible prints but it is what it is I guess. Best be safe than sorry imo at this point to guarantee they can't say that portion is reason for denial atleast.
Do your toes 🤣

Honestly, it's f***ing bad lol.

I almost made a joke at the station that I could rob a bank. Thankfully my brain actually realized it may not have been the smartest joke to make to an officer taking my prints for an ltc application.....

I know a lotta guys with SBR’s and not one of them got a denial or had issues with prints. U should be good

Honestly, it's f***ing bad lol.

I almost made a joke at the station that I could rob a bank. Thankfully my brain actually realized it may not have been the smartest joke to make to an officer taking my prints for an ltc application.....
I so badly wanted to write vigilante justice on my reason for ltc. [rofl]
Would definitely not have gone over well. But it made me laugh
Still does

You aren’t limited to 10 rounds? You can put pre-ban regular mags into a post-ban rifle.

Do not submit all forms at once. Space them out over time with months in between if you want my $.02. This helps avoid imperial entanglements.

Hi all,
Thank you in advance!
Some of the gun shops in Rockland offer this service. @joe1231913 being one of them I believe

Back
Top Bottom