SBR question now that things are getting more and more precarious

groundscrapers

NES Member
So since the AG defined a SBR as a "firearm" subject to eeops, etc, etc... this should change how its handled under the transportation rules as well such that you could drive with one loaded in your direct control as opposed to a high capacity rifle or shotgun which would have to be in the trunk. Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? memes?

The AG did not define an SBR as a “firearm”. Mgl does and the state correctly noticed this when looking to shut down sale of mossberg shockwaves. Unfortunate, but In this case a correct reading of the law.

The unintended consequences of the poorly written laws are that you can carry your SBS or SBR concealed and loaded as it is legally the same as your S&W bodyguard.

By context ("EOPS"), I assume you're talking about Mass law. There's a forum section just for that.

Gentle reminder: this is not "Mass Shooters". There's more than one AG.
I think it should generally be accepted here that if anyone is questioning the legality of something its almost guaranteed to be MA lmao

The AG did not define an SBR as a “firearm”. Mgl does and the state correctly noticed this when looking to shut down sale of mossberg shockwaves. Unfortunate, but In this case a correct reading of the law.

The unintended consequences of the poorly written laws are that you can carry your SBS or SBR concealed and loaded as it is legally the same as your S&W bodyguard.
that is how im reading it.

(c) No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class A or Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000.

can carry a handgun, can't carry a loaded rifle, a rifle is a gun by definition as having a 16" barrel or longer, SBR isn't either.

I get what your saying but I’m willing to bet a world of shit will rain down on your parade carrying your SBR under less than the written rule.
Short Barrel RIFLE is how I see the law used. Legal or not.

that is how im reading it.

can carry a handgun, can't carry a loaded rifle, a rifle is a gun by definition as having a 16" barrel or longer, SBR isn't either.
SBR is specifically mentioned in the text of the Mass definition of firearm (handgun) along with SBS. Some believe an SBR in Mass is not a rifle but then somehow not an assault weapon. But maybe a .22lr SBR would be ok?? Mass laws suck.

There is no .22 exclusion anywhere in MA laws.

Oh....

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section121

''Large capacity feeding device'', (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term ''large capacity feeding device'' shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

You must mean a .22 exclusion to SBR law in MA.

Are you saying I can carry a SBR loaded in a backpack on my person?]
I carry my ar pistol because... it’s a pistol.
In NH, a pistol is any firearm with a barrel less than 16" long, so whether you call it SBR or pistol by federal definitions, it's all the same under NH law: constitutional carry. That includes loaded in vehicles (license required to carry loaded in/on an OHRV).

In NH, a pistol is any firearm with a barrel less than 16" long, so whether you call it SBR or pistol by federal definitions, it's all the same under NH law: constitutional carry. That includes loaded in vehicles (license required to carry loaded in/on an OHRV).
What about in Massachusetts?

Can I carry a SBR in a backpack?

I think it should generally be accepted here that if anyone is questioning the legality of something its almost guaranteed to be MA lmao

Tucker S. Carlson: "No, it's not. " [rofl] There are plenty of other legal questions asked about other states or fed stuff, although I will partially agree with you in the sense that MA peeps are more afraid of their own shadow than most. I've moved it to mass laws though because it's more appropriate there.

What about in Massachusetts?

Can I carry a SBR in a backpack?

MGL says you can't carry a rifle on a public way or some BS, unless its "encased". IMHO an SBR is certainly not a "rifle" under MGL. Opinions vary, though. Frankly if I thought I REALLY needed to tote an SBR around in a backpack for any particular reason conditions are such that I'm not too concerned about "the lawrs" at that point....

MGL says you can't carry a rifle on a public way or some BS, unless its "encased". IMHO an SBR is certainly not a "rifle" under MGL. Opinions vary, though. Frankly if I thought I REALLY needed to tote an SBR around in a backpack for any particular reason conditions are such that I'm not too concerned about "the lawrs" at that point....
I certainly would not NEED to carry this at this point.

I would just like to know if I could.

I would like to exercise my 2A rights regarding a SBR.

Following this, as a new SBR owner in Massachusetts actually.

It looks to me it can be concealed and carried due to it not being a rifle.

Back
Top Bottom