• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scanner Last night

So I am listening to the scanner last night (Worcester PD) and I here a call go out for a car break in on Camp st, not a great neighborhood. The dispatcher says a GPS and a hand gun were stolen. Why do people insist on leaving guns in their cars, especially when you have a GPS visible. This kind of crap is what gives the anti guns their ammunition, no pun intended.

So I am listening to the scanner last night (Worcester PD) and I here a call go out for a car break in on Camp st, not a great neighborhood. The dispatcher says a GPS and a hand gun were stolen. Why do people insist on leaving guns in their cars, especially when you have a GPS visible. This kind of crap is what gives the anti guns their ammunition, no pun intended.

did they say whether or NOT the gun was inside the trunk? in a case?

yeah, blame the victim. [laugh]

Despite the snark above (and well done snark, at that! [laugh] ) OB1 makes an excellent point. If the gun were in a locked container, then it was " properly" stored. If the container were taken, the issue would be the contents, not the box.

The real issue that I see that the car was left in a place that it could be accessed by unauthorized persons. If it had been properly secured in a garage, then this would have not happened. When will the state wake up and mandate that cars be properly stored when not in use?

The real issue that I see that the car was left in a place that it could be accessed by unauthorized persons. If it had been properly secured in a garage, then this would have not happened. When will the state wake up and mandate that cars be properly stored when not in use?[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Also, they should be empty of fuel and any gasoline should be stored separately.

For the same reason I leave CD's in my car? Because it's my property and I feel like it.

Yup, like people who leave keys in the ignition or leave there car running while running onto the store and their car gets taken. I am not saying it is right that you can't but common sense should prevail. By leaving a gun in your car you are making it possible for some shit bag to possibly ruin your life, I would not take that chance. There have been several cases where a stolen gun has been used in a crime and the original owner was sued because it was not properly secured.
I would rather have the gun on my hip anyway, its not going to do me any good in the car.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, like people who leave keys in the ignition or leave there car running while running onto the store and their car gets taken. I am not saying it is right that you can't but common sense should prevail. By leaving a gun in your car you are making it possible for some shit bag to possibly ruin your life, I would not take that chance. There have been several cases where a stolen gun has been used in a crime and the original owner was sued because it was not properly secured.
I would rather have the gun on my hip anyway, its not going to do me any good in the car.

This kind of crap is what gives the anti guns their ammunition, no pun intended.

Only when people like you make guns out to be nuclear weapons.

Should he leave his car in the street too? Someone could steal that and kill someone with that, too.

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

you should be a Sergeant Major. i remember getting into trouble for leaving my door unlocked to my barracks room after my room was used to access the adjacent one to steal some jewelry and cash.

[rolleyes] -i'm used to this mentality in the military "it's your fault you didn't lock your shit up"

out here, um no. i'm eating a sammich and my car is within view, unlocked with keys in the ignition. i guess i'm asking for trouble. [rofl] anyone goes near it gets a size 12 belleville to the ass

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

- - - Updated - - -

Crime is always a choice by the criminal to commit it.

What boundaries they are willing to violate at any given moment is a choice they make. Locked cars, houses, doors, windows all these things are an illusion of security.

Whether a criminal violates one law by taking that which does not belong to him or 2 by opening an unlocked door, or 3 by smashing a window and entering the car, or house does not matter. They made the choice to break the law.

This "attractive nuisance" concept as applied to theft is a construct of the progressive mind that seeks to regulate the behavior of the law abiding and uses false logic such as yours to convince people to accept this regulation.

If the gun were in a locked container, then it was " properly" stored. If the container were taken, the issue would be the contents, not the box.

Not that "legal" equates with "smart"...

The ethical/moral burden remains on the bad guy, and the legal burden of the good guy is satisfied, but the practical lack of good jugement remains.

Not that "legal" equates with "smart"...

The ethical/moral burden remains on the bad guy, and the legal burden of the good guy is satisfied, but the practical lack of good jugement remains.
You are making broad presumptions about circumstances which you cannot know from the information we have.

There are many circumstances in which the gun could have been left in the car that are not indictments of "judgement."

You are making broad presumptions about circumstances which you cannot know from the information we have.

There are many circumstances in which the gun could have been left in the car that are not indictments of "judgement."

Point taken. When I leave a firearm in a car, I consider it not an acceptable risk, but a risk weighed against the bigger risk of keeping it with me or not having brought a firearm in the first place. Both alternatives are poor choices imposed by undesirable laws that protect no one.

Only when people like you make guns out to be nuclear weapons.

Should he leave his car in the street too? Someone could steal that and kill someone with that, too.

-Mike

I guess my point was common sense would dictate you don't leave a gun in an unattended vehicle, especially in a real bad neighborhood that's all.
I checked with a friend on the PD, The story is gun was in a lock box sitting on the front seat and the car was not locked. It was recovered as well.
Never said it was like a nuclear weapon lol. I am as pro peoples rights and guns as anyone.
Stupid people just piss me off

- - - Updated - - -

You only have one gun?
[laugh2]
ya "1" safe full.

I guess my point was common sense would dictate you don't leave a gun in very secure vault, especially in a real bad neighborhood that's all.

- - - Updated - - -

I changed a bit, to make a point.

You consider the gun to have been "unwisely" (though not unlawfully) stored. The poor bastid in Lowell who was robbed had his stuff in a "Very secure" vault, and is jammed up by the PD.

If there are safe storage laws, then whether a gun owner is in compliance with them is the only "real" factor.

My point? No matter how secure it is, it can be defeated. If a criminal decides to steal then it's not the victim's fault. If the car was locked, would that have satisfied you WRT reasonalble measures? How about if the case were secured to the car by a cable, and it was cut? What if all of the above, and the car was in a garage, but the garage was closed, but unlocked? How about locked?

The guy complied with the letter of the law. Could more have been done? Sure. But you can ALWAYS do more!

The only ammo that I see here is "the storage laws need to be made more stringent, as even gun owners agree that the current ones let people steal guns."

That's right up there with saying rape victims shouldn't wear skirts [rolleyes]

Don't be so quick to dismiss that idea, joe. It may have some merit. Consider that if women were required to wear pants it would slow down the rapist. It would work the same way that neutered mags slow down a shooter. I suppose we could allow women born before a certain date, say 1960 or so, to wear skirts. They would be pre-ban skirt-wearers. My bride would qualify, in fact I think she already wears high capacity skirts.

(The above was said in jest/sarcasm...in case it wasn't obvious[smile])

I changed a bit, to make a point.

You consider the gun to have been "unwisely" (though not unlawfully) stored. The poor bastid in Lowell who was robbed had his stuff in a "Very secure" vault, and is jammed up by the PD.

If there are safe storage laws, then whether a gun owner is in compliance with them is the only "real" factor.

My point? No matter how secure it is, it can be defeated. If a criminal decides to steal then it's not the victim's fault. If the car was locked, would that have satisfied you WRT reasonalble measures? How about if the case were secured to the car by a cable, and it was cut? What if all of the above, and the car was in a garage, but the garage was closed, but unlocked? How about locked?

The guy complied with the letter of the law. Could more have been done? Sure. But you can ALWAYS do more!

The only ammo that I see here is "the storage laws need to be made more stringent, as even gun owners agree that the current ones let people steal guns."
I will agree with you as to if we didn't have thieves there would issues, but this is the city, not fantasy island. I just don't think it is smart to leave a gun in the car.
Having it in a locked box that isn't attached to anything is not a deterrent, I equate it with leaving 20 dollar bills on the front seat, it just makes no sense to me. As far as the guy with the safe, yup he did all he could but he still got ripped off but I'm sure it took more than the 5 seconds it takes to open a car door and grab something off the seat.
Is there really anyone who can honestly say that leaving a gun in an unattended, unlocked car in a lock box that is not secured somehow makes sense.

Crime is always a choice by the criminal to commit it.

What boundaries they are willing to violate at any given moment is a choice they make. Locked cars, houses, doors, windows all these things are an illusion of security.

Whether a criminal violates one law by taking that which does not belong to him or 2 by opening an unlocked door, or 3 by smashing a window and entering the car, or house does not matter. They made the choice to break the law.

This "attractive nuisance" concept as applied to theft is a construct of the progressive mind that seeks to regulate the behavior of the law abiding and uses false logic such as yours to convince people to accept this regulation.

I would also suggest that the notion of "attractive nuisance" is an absurd construct of ambulance chasing lawyers in order to further line their pockets.

Back
Top Bottom