• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SCAR. Why?

MaroonedinMA

NES Member
I'm not here to bash the SCAR, but I do have questions. What is the attraction? I did a search to find discussions by actual owners - all I got was pages of people trying to sell them. They appear to be:

1. Expensive
2. Fuggly (at least from the bolt, backwards)
3. Of average performance.

What am I missing? Any thoughts from owners? AITA?

I'm not here to bash the SCAR, but I do have questions. What is the attraction? I did a search to find discussions by actual owners - all I got was pages of people trying to sell them. They appear to be:

1. Expensive
2. Fuggly (at least from the bolt, backwards)
3. Of average performance.

What am I missing? Any thoughts from owners? AITA?

it really boils down to the certain aspects of the process of how specific .gov contracts are getting won.
kickbacks. :)

Also, in before SCAR dudes show up to justify their purchases.
Funny, but that's basically why I posted the question. I actually haven't ever heard anyone sing its praises.
Just wait! I remember reading a thread last year or the year before? A LOT of arguing/debating between SCAR owners and people ragging on SCARs.
I have no skin in the game but it was interesting to read [laugh]
Get out your popcorn

Edit: i think it was this 9 page thread

Just wait! I remember reading a thread last year or the year before? A LOT of arguing/debating between SCAR owners and people ragging on SCARs.
I have no skin in the game but it was interesting to read [laugh]
Get out your popcorn

Edit: i think it was this thread
i have no beef either and, frankly, always considered most of that to be a typical corporate BS.
--------------------
FN SCAR® Principle of Operation

The MK 16 and MK 17 rifles operate on the short-stroke gas piston system. As the bullet passes the gas port in the barrel a portion of the propellant gases are routed through the gas regulator to the gas piston located below the front sight post. The gas pushes rearward against the piston, which drives the moving parts assembly rearward to eject the fired case and load a new cartridge from the magazine. Excess gases are vented forward through the gas vent hole in the front of the gas regulator. The advantage over the direct gas impingement system is that heat, soot and carbon from propellant combustion are not routed into the bolt or chamber, keeping these critical areas cooler and cleaner for greater reliability and enhanced accuracy. When compared to a direct gas impingement system that has been adapted to use a gas piston or operating rod, the FN SCAR® gas system proves to be more simple, robust and reliable. The first position on the gas regulator is for normal operation, while the second position ensures there is no increase in the cyclic rate of fire when using a sound suppressor.

Would rather have a m1a socom
View attachment 521142
I rag on the SCAR a fair bit, but just no. I'll rag on the very much inferior M1A all day as well. As @andrew1220 said, no skin in this game for the SCAR, but I am an equal opportunity shit giver. FN has those very much inflated in price and I'm not a huge fan of the sheer amount of plastic. People wouldn't even be questioning the gun if it had a 2,000$ price tag though.
You get a SCAR because you want LIGHTWEIGHT .308 modern rifle. You get a M1A because you want retro. It doesn't modernize well nobody how much any wishes it does and it'll never be all that accurate. Which the SCAR platform has at least shown it can be. You want an accurate rifle that is also large caliber? Get an AR10. The biggest penalty these days is weight, but an accurized M1A is also heavy.

Back
Top Bottom