• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School is giving out hockey pucks in case of active shooter

Will the students actually be able to throw the pucks
and hit their target. I was not athelticly gifted when I was younger,I could throw but never with any accoracy.

In all actuality it's not a terrible concept.

I saw a video with a security expert that was training schools to change the "cower in place" drills that most promote. In the video the guy tells the classroom of kids and teachers that infantryman in the military are trained that the first thing you do upon receiving small arms fire is SPREAD OUT. He ran two scenarios with a "shooter" and an air soft gun. First run......cower in place......shooter hit 80% with his air soft gun. Second run......the "students" spread out along the walls of the classroom after each grabbing a handful of bean bags and we're were instructed that if that door is breached start launching bean bags......the shooter was disoriented with so many bean bags coming st him he only hit 2 students. His proposed training change was every classroom have a large bucket of bean bags in a corner and train the students to grab a handful and spread out on the walls in case of an active shooter.

It's time we start training people to not just cower in place.

I'll see if I can find the vid and post.

Will the students actually be able to throw the pucks
and hit their target. I was not athelticly gifted when I was younger,I could throw but never with any accoracy.
The concept would be volume of fire I assume. Imagine 10-20 hockey pucks coming at the shooter.......

Why not give the kids darts, or crossbows, or guns? Unarmed victims in gun free zones is the problem.

In all actuality it's not a terrible concept.

We actually train this as an "oh shit" scenario in Kuntao. The object(s) tossed are intended, though, as a distraction on the way to entry, as opposed to being actual weapons. Keys or one's wallet would work just as well.

its a step in the right direction IMO, whether its a hockey puck, a hatchet, or a stick of cotton candy. if I saw someone throwing something at me in my peripheral vision I'm sure itd cause me to flinch for a second. anything is better that laying in a corner waiting to be a victim

its a step in the right direction IMO, whether its a hockey puck, a hatchet, or a stick of cotton candy. if I saw someone throwing something at me in my peripheral vision I'm sure itd cause me to flinch for a second. anything is better that laying in a corner waiting to be a victim

Again, wallet, keys, and anything else that's handy.

I'm hopping out a window before I attempt to stop a shooter with a hockey puck. I love the last line about how the pucks remind people that they aren't powerless; If only schools allowed student to protect themselves adequately.

I'm hopping out a window before I attempt to stop a shooter with a hockey puck. I love the last line about how the pucks remind people that they aren't powerless; If only schools allowed student to protect themselves adequately.

Unfortunatly in most school shootings it's the kids that are the perps....Not sure arming them is a good idea at this point. Just saying.

What concerns me:

Since the "rocks'n'bottles defense" seems to be becoming a trend, if shooters won't adjust. I mean - and not that I would, of course - but were I to Go Postal, I'd probably be dressed based-stickman-eqsue:
stickmannn.JPG

Maybe
CritterInThundershirt.jpg

with a
41RoDdhmLxL_grande.jpg

What concerns me:

Since the "rocks'n'bottles defense" seems to be becoming a trend, if shooters won't adjust. I mean - and not that I would, of course - but were I to Go Postal, I'd probably be dressed based-stickman-eqsue:
stickmannn.JPG

Maybe
View attachment 256495

with a
View attachment 256496
I'm tracking what your putting down.

However.....I think even with riot gear on dozens of pucks or bean bags will be disorienting and may cause the shooter to "move along" to another area.

They'd be better off throwing the pucks at their mom's SUV, which is orders of magnitude more likely to get them killed than are school shootings. The purpose of the pucks is to make them think they're in danger of gun violence, when the real risk of that approaches zero, and breed a generation of British-style sheep.

It’s a NHL sanctioned school!...

If neither team scores during this period, the teams use a penalty-shot shootout, consisting of three players in the NHL or five players in the minor leagues, to determine the winner. In the NHL, if no team wins this shootout, a 1-by-1, sudden-death shootout ensues.

Some teachers in the school my daughter goes to have talked about task organizing to take on an assailant. Barricading the door, athletes taking them on at entry, or going out the window if it’s near the ground.

But there’s no program, most of the teachers don’t want to think about it.

Massachusetts Legislators are now crafting a law to outlaw private ownership of this protective gear in order to counteract any defense against the Student Pucks

Attachments

• C2C1D4F4-90CF-4BBE-9D79-5FA007469DFF.jpeg
    C2C1D4F4-90CF-4BBE-9D79-5FA007469DFF.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 18
Again, wallet, keys, and anything else that's handy.
Blackboard/whiteboard erasers? They should be present in some number in classrooms, and have been known, in olden days at least, to fly across classrooms. Might even trigger a helpful flashback response on the part of the perp.

What if the shooter is dressed as a hockey goalie?

What happens when they run out of pucks and all they're left with is a (more) pissed off shooter? Never bring a hockey puck to a gunfight.

What if the shooter is dressed as a hockey goalie?

What happens when they run out of pucks and all they're left with is a (more) pissed off shooter? Never bring a hockey puck to a gunfight.

As mentioned earlier, it really only works if it serves as a distraction on the way to entry. But it is a good point if they don't know what to do subsequent to their rocks'n'bottles defense - swarm the SOB if nothing else - it probably won't work.

Back
Top Bottom