• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on .44 magnum

Yup, guess it was all her fault for being there. And if she offed it with one shot from a .44 NES would have called her a douchebag for protecting herself and her dogs.

ANY agressiveness shown by a Moose is a good reason to drop it. They are unpredictable and someone just thinking that backing off and waiting and ignoring a charge or agressive behavior could soon get them stomped into bloody mess.

Where did I say it was her fault or anyone's fault?

You can't turn a dog team around easily and you can't shut that many dog's up. The noise will rile the moose up. Shit happens.

No, you don't just shoot a moose or any animal if it shows aggression. That's f***ing stupid and wasteful. Charging you, yes. Ears back, fur up, nope-just slowly back away and put something between you and the animal.

This one trampled these sled dogs before being killed an hour later.
To a moose, sled dogs are a pack of wolves. Moose probably doesn't differentiate between wolf, sled dog, coyote, or a Golden Retriever. Moose is a big cow, and canines are a predator.

OP, regardless of why you are now considering a side arm when hunting, I think it a wise decision, if legal, where you hunt. It doesn't matter what long gun you have with you, overkill is under rated. Two is one, one is none. There are dozens of scenarios why your long gun might be out of the fight, and dozens more we can't think of.
10mm is for sure not a bad choice, but I like the idea of a big, reliable wheel gun, in a chest rig. Just because there are fewer chances for a malfunction under stress.
Would suck if the first time you ever limp wristed a Glock, was when a black bear was closing fast.

And I like the idea of 44 magnum. Yes, 454 casul, 460 and 500 are all more powerful rounds, but 44 is more manageable. I think a good choice would be a S&W 629, with a 6"+ barrel in a chest rig. Stainless is durable and in a chest rig it is quick to bring it on target.

I was already unloaded. I was hiking out on a narrow trail with my buddies and didn’t need to have the gun loaded anymore.
I get it. But in the future if you're out shotgun hunting with turkey loads and you're worried about a moose attack you would be better armed, in my opinion, with a loaded shotgun in your hands than any handgun on your hip.

You don't have to be in anyone's shoes.

He filmed himself egging the moose on and instigating the fight.

Purely the rider's fault.
So, maybe I'm misinterpreting the sledder's actions and he was trying "moose calls" to lure his quarry closer so as to get a better shot with his pistol? thinking.png

I hadn't even considered that.

I thought he was trying to scare him off the trail with whooping & hollering. Egging is Brilliant! Does it work with whitetails?

I get the guy in the first video was wrong for reving the sled and advancing on the moose......totally not the right thing to do.

See, now I thought this was how he was trying to scare the moose off. Not piss it off.
Like clanging pots & pans to scare off bears or mountain lions...

But what is also obvious is he did the right thing to stop the charge.

ANY agressiveness shown by a Moose is a good reason to drop it. They are unpredictable and someone just thinking that backing off and waiting and ignoring a charge or agressive behavior could soon get them stomped into bloody mess.

Jeremiah-johnson.gif

No, you don't just shoot a moose or any animal if it shows aggression. That's f***ing stupid and wasteful. Charging you, yes. Ears back, fur up, nope-just slowly back away and put something between you and the animal.
Every situation is different and it depends how close you are to getting stomped or killed. Aggression shown at 6 feet is different from Aggression shown at 25 yards or more and will be reacted upon differently.

So, maybe I'm misinterpreting the sledder's actions and he was trying "moose calls" to lure his quarry closer so as to get a better shot with his pistol? View attachment 702937

I hadn't even considered that.

I thought he was trying to scare him off the trail with whooping & hollering. Egging is Brilliant! Does it work with whitetails?
Every one knows a revving sled is the best moose call. Im not sure why they use that big rolled up bark thingy that looks like a megaphone.

Just hang out on the artic cat and let er rip.

Every one knows a revving sled is the best moose call. Im not sure why they use that big rolled up bark thingy that looks like a megaphone.

Just hang out on the artic cat and let er rip.
Makes sense. thinking.png

Have you ever seen those 18-wheelers attract deer up on the highway with those big airhorns? Like a friggin magnet...

Every situation is different and it depends how close you are to getting stomped or killed. Aggression shown at 6 feet is different from Aggression shown at 25 yards or more and will be reacted upon differently.
0:42 of the video...

Yup. But like you said…..”rifle velocities “. Enough said. Lol.
Like everything, you can load it down a bit.

Let me know when you want to go to Westwood and shoot mine. It is not bad at all.

Like everything, you can load it down a bit.

Let me know when you want to go to Westwood and shoot mine. It is not bad at all.
Sounds good. That will be fun. I will bring my 500 magnum.

Wasn’t recommending tweaking it. Was expressing excitement over “rifle velocities”.

Rifle velocities in a handgun is a good thing. 👍

Sounds good. That will be fun. I will bring my 500 magnum.

Wasn’t recommending tweaking it. Was expressing excitement over “rifle velocities”.

Rifle velocities in a handgun is a good thing. 👍
I need to chrono mine.

got this on a trade, shooting it tomorrow

Not my first time with a .44mag. But my first snub nosed one. View attachment 703065
Is that a model 69 combat mag?

When I bought my 4 inch 629 last year I was considering the model 69 and decided I actually want to shoot this thing at the range a bit......and that model 69 just looked like it was gonna hurt like hell to actually shoot.

Is that a model 69 combat mag?

When I bought my 4 inch 629 last year I was considering the model 69 and decided I actually want to shoot this thing at the range a bit......and that model 69 just looked like it was gonna hurt like hell to actually shoot.
Yikes.....I'll stick with my 5 inch 629.

Back
Top Bottom