• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on AK's.

I’d try and get a couple hundred more and buy a good norinco mak 90. The market being what it is with much higher prices. You are probably in wasr country for 1100 bucks. I had one and they’re good ak’s if you watch out for canted sights. Mak90 are also preban, .5 mm thicker receiver and nice shooting guns

To a degree, all AKs are the same as all other AKs. They all shoot reliably, they all shoot with reasonable accuracy, and the ergonomics are all broadly similar. They all share a common magazine, of which there are many many types. They all have the same drawbacks, too. The differences lie in method of construction (stamped vs milled) with accompanying thickness of parts and weight, type of furniture (which can usually be changed easily, though not always) and rarity: many countries made these in many different numbers, with import restrictions adding to the rarity and affecting prices. Milled AKs do, often, have smoother actions.

Mostly, what I'm saying is that the price differences you see in the AK market are not often indicative of any real difference in the way the weapon will perform. A Polytech Legend and a WASR won't perform all that differently (meaning, they'll both go bang, won't jam, and will hit to POA). So feel free to go cheap. The WASR is the standard "entry-level" AK, and it does just fine. Its best-known quirks are that the mags sometimes wobble and that the gas tubes are sometimes mounted such that the front sight cants to the left. Both of these are fixable. Neither affects function, as long as the sight can be zeroed.

I've owned many different AKs and the best I've found is the one I still have: a Bulgarian SA93 with Ironwood furniture. I've gotten rid of all the rest, mostly because I discovered the Vz58 was a better weapon.

Regardless, if you hang any extraneous gay-ass shit off the rifle, you might as well just buy an AR. Rifle is fine as-is.

Last edited:
Assuming you are in VA and not in Mass there are a few ak's you should stay away from. I suggest visiting akfiles message board and also watch some vids on youtube. Many american made ak's have issues. Premature wear on parts being the main issue. Others like the Century arms VSKA are known for the same issue. If i were you i would save up a little more and just buy an Arsenal or Norinco.

OP being from VA should move fast. Right now VA doesn’t have an AWB, but if McAuliffe wins the governor's race this Nov. 2nd all bets are off. Once there is an AWb in place, even with grandfathering, he’ll see the same price inflation as in MA. That $1K WASR will suddenly become a “rare pre ban” and jump to $2800.

OP being from VA should move fast. Right now VA doesn’t have an AWB, but if McAuliffe wins the governor's race this Nov. 2nd all bets are off. Once there is an AWb in place, even with grandfathering, he’ll see the same price inflation as in MA. That $1K WASR will suddenly become a “rare pre ban” and jump to $2800.

A lot of those pricing issues, though, are not necessarily AWB-dependent. I got my WASR new, in MA, for under $700. That was the norm, once upon a time, when they were moving in non-ban states for around $500.

All's I'm saying is that the current spike in AKs isn't due entirely, nor even mostly, to AWBs. I think prices are still at panic levels, and liable to stay for some time.

I have a Serbian Zastava Opap M70B . I'm NO expert but back in the 2010 era when I was AK shopping the WASR10's were garbage. I've read that long about 2015 and up WASR's addressed all the quality issues and actually are now much better quality and rugged shooters. My Opap (and the common Npap) are know as "Yugo" design. They are excellent quality, rock solid reliable BUT the "yugo's" are a slightly different design and many traditional standard AK parts will not interchange, so this might be an issue if you like to aftermarket mod your weapons. Head over to the AKfiles and there is TONS of reading on "which AK to buy". Keep in mind it's a ROUGH forum and many of those guys are total douchbags, but HIGHLY knowledgable douchbags , so consider yourself forwarned, LOL

1) don’t buy US-made AK.
2) wood is good.
3) see #1.
This.

I tend to like maddii aks. But whatever you run into let us know
Maadi* bro, do you even AK?

Good luck finding one now, but I agree. Maadis are sex.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DIaC3GWzRE

kubc7vgdt6f61.jpg

my experience has been like that of the proverbial boat owner's best days... the day ya buy it and the day ya sell it.

the norinco I had couldn't hold a lousy 18" group at 25 yards, for real. but untill this thread, I had not heard of the "cant" issue. that could explain the grouping.

I'm looking to get one but don't know too much about them. Can any of you AK guys (or gals) help me out?

My budget is roughly $1100.

Because you're in Virginia, here's my recommendations:

(1) WBP Fox
(2) Zastava ZPAP M70
(3) Century WASR 10

The WBP guns are the nicest sub-$1100 guns currently coming into the US. Sign up for in stock notifications on Atlantic Firearms and Arms of America. Once you get the notification, buy one, and you're good.

(1) WBP Fox
(2) Zastava ZPAP M70
(3) Century WASR 10

The WBP guns are the nicest sub-$1100 guns currently coming into the US. Sign up for in stock notifications on Atlantic Firearms and Arms of America. Once you get the notification, buy one, and you're good.
WBP Foxes are going for $1400 now unless he buys a sporter and debans it himself. At that price point I'd take a look at the Beryl. Despite what everybody says about US made AKs, I cautiously believe that the KR-103 is actually a good rifle. I wouldn't recommend it to someone for their first AK but if you already own an AK or multiple AKs and want a 100 series rifle for less than half the cost of an SGL-21, it's a nice rifle with very few complaints although it does need more long term testing.

WBP Foxes are going for $1400 now unless he buys a sporter and debans it himself. At that price point I'd take a look at the Beryl. Despite what everybody says about US made AKs, I cautiously believe that the KR-103 is actually a good rifle. I wouldn't recommend it to someone for their first AK but if you already own an AK or multiple AKs and want a 100 series rifle for less than half the cost of an SGL-21, it's a nice rifle with very few complaints although it does need more long term testing.

I own both Beryl rifles and recommend against them for AK newbs. The WBPs are more AKM-pattern and accessory friendly. The Beryls only accept Beryl furniture.

He said "around" $1100, so he can probably afford a new WBP from Atlantic or AOA.

I own both Beryl rifles and recommend against them for AK newbs. The WBPs are more AKM-pattern and accessory friendly. The Beryls only accept Beryl furniture.

He said "around" $1100, so he can probably afford a new WBP from Atlantic or AOA.

Fair enough. How do you like the Beryls? I'm tempted by the 5.56 but I already have a SAM5 and REALLY don't need to spend any more on AKs.

Fair enough. How do you like the Beryls? I'm tempted by the 5.56 but I already have a SAM5 and REALLY don't need to spend any more on AKs.

Depends. If someone's really into Polish AKs or modern AKs, then absolutely buy them. Or someone whose worried about imports being cut off. If not into those, then it's basically a proprietary gun with expensive and hard to get furniture.

They shoot great and have the best fit and finish I've ever seen on a stamped AK.

In MA, WASR 10/63s go for $1500-2000 because "PrE-HeALY". Just make sure the sight isn't sideways too much and the mag doesn't jiggle and rattle lol.

(1) WBP Fox
(2) Zastava ZPAP M70
(3) Century WASR 10

Been doing my research, and I think I'm going with the ZPAP. Seems like a solid choice and won't break the bank.

I miss the old NES days. Back then NOBODY bought an ak, we built them.
Anyone still here that remembers the epic build party about 6 or 7 years ago in Gardner (I think)? Had 20+ ak’s built that day. I got the t-shirt!

I miss the old NES days. Back then NOBODY bought an ak, we built them.
Anyone still here that remembers the epic build party about 6 or 7 years ago in Gardner (I think)? Had 20+ ak’s built that day. I got the t-shirt!
Have you tried to find a kit worth building these days?

Back
Top Bottom