• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on bows

My father and I are interested in getting into (at the very least) archery, if not full bow hunting this year. We both are around 6' 4", 200lbs. We'd like to get our own setups, and we really don't have any idea where to start. Can anyone offer some insight?

My father and I are interested in getting into (at the very least) archery, if not full bow hunting this year. We both are around 6' 4", 200lbs. We'd like to get our own setups, and we really don't have any idea where to start. Can anyone offer some insight?

I see you live in the Worcester area, I would highly recommend Jerry's Bait & Tackle. They are very knowledgeable, carry great gear, and you get very personal service and attention. I bought my Hoyt CRX and my wifes Hoyt Vixen there last year. They can set you up with everything you'll need and they have an inside range and bow league. Jerry uses what he sells and is an avid hunter himself. I bought my very first set up from Reedy's, they were great as well. 10 years later I went back to buy another bow (last year) and it was a mob scene! Kids everywhere (birthday party), some kid trying to sell me a top of the line Matthews when I asked to see Hoyt and trash talked PSE which I was interested in shooting. I got passed off to 2 different sales guys which pissed me off, and I was a serious buyer, had $1000 in my pocket for a bare bow purchase. Jerry's got my business and its 1 hour closer. Teepee in Acton, in my opinion is a joke. I emailed them several times before my purchase, never a response. Went there before Reedy's on my first purchase 10 years ago with $700 in my pocket and got terrible service and no attention. I tried to give them a second chance last year but they proved to be just as unattentive. With archery less than 3 weeks away, I would say hunting would be a next season adventure and use the time to get good with the bow, you owe it to the animal to be as proficient as possible. I recommend shooting as many bow manufactures as possible and choose the one that feels the best and is the most quiet. Once you shoot a deer with a bow, you wont want to do it any other way.

I have Bob's Gun and Archery very close by- I was thinking of going there to get fitted and set up. Neither of us have any disabilities, just to clear that up. Reedy's is too far away for us, would love to make the trek but with Bob's so close by it's foolish not to start there. Thanks everyone.

I dont own an assassin but, I own a diamond dead eye...same company...I love my dead eye! My buddy shoots an assassin and enjoys his very much!

Don't discount the martins! My bow is the quietest out of all my buddies hoyts and pses.

But I've been to Jerry's a lot. His prices can't beat the big box stores, but he's a crazy guy and the stories alone will make up for the cost increase.

After doing some research, we're really interested in the Bowtech Assassin. Anyone own one?

yup

IMG_0036_zpsb3f2a01d.jpg

I got this bow right around january, and love it. Had a small problem where i was on the phone and nocking an arrow at the same time, well i didnt and when i drew it fell off and i dry fired the bow. The limbs held up fine and but the cams were shot that's my only grip. the cams are pretty light but it's a trade off you get more speed with lighter cams. Also Bowtech wouldnt honor the warranty because it was my fault and honestly it was. I was being careless

when shopping I shot about a dozen bows including matthews, hoyt, PSE, winchester, martin, misson, bear etc. The matthews are nice but i didnt feel like spending 900$ on a bow. The hoyts are real nice i like them alot had I not shot the assassin i would have bought a CRX and honestly the new hoyt spyders are freaking light definetly look at them. PSE man i hated them just the aggressive nature of the cams, try letting the bow down from full draw any little let up and it wants to take your shoulder off.

As for the assassin once i get into full draw I can just sit there and if i get tired making my arm drift a little bit it wont want to take off. It has a nice smooth draw and its wicked quite. One small detail for me was the grip that came with it, it sucked. I swapped it out for a wood one from cost me like ten bucks it came off a insanity. The strings are FUSE brand and they are pretty nice for factory strings, i think it took like 10 shots for the peep to set.

I think i paid like 600$ for it give or take got the all black one cause im a shuper duper tactiqueer hunter. If i had to buy it again id get the black with camo limbs.

Last edited:
sorry to dust off an old thread but....

i am looking to buy my 1st bow and have done a ton of reading & watched reviews and i am really leaning towards the hoyt charger package. I am told/have read that they can be bought for $600-650 loaded (which is in my budget). Any thoughts, tips or recommendations of where to go for this?
i live south of worcester but will travel a bit for a good deal.
6.png

Check out Tepee Archery. Brian is a Hoyt Factory Shooter. They have got a ton in right now. Not sure if that particular one is there or not. Give them a call. 978-635-0550

Aloha

You could check Bob's Gun & Archery Pro Shop in Webster.

sorry to dust off an old thread but....

i am looking to buy my 1st bow and have done a ton of reading & watched reviews and i am really leaning towards the hoyt charger package. I am told/have read that they can be bought for $600-650 loaded (which is in my budget). Any thoughts, tips or recommendations of where to go for this?
i live south of worcester but will travel a bit for a good deal.
6.png

Not sure if Archery Plus still sells Hoyt?

Pelletiers Sports in Jaffrey NH carries the Big Three in bows (Mathews, Bowtech, and Hoyt) Save some tax, I bought my son's Assassin there last year. Fantastic bow, he killed his first two bucks with it this year. I recommend it highly....

Not sure if Archery Plus still sells Hoyt?

Pelletiers Sports in Jaffrey NH carries the Big Three in bows (Mathews, Bowtech, and Hoyt) Save some tax, I bought my son's Assassin there last year. Fantastic bow, he killed his first two bucks with it this year. I recommend it highly....

spoke with pelletiers & they were extremely friendly and answered all my questions. i will def check them out even tho they are about an hour away.

Check out Tepee Archery. Brian is a Hoyt Factory Shooter. They have got a ton in right now. Not sure if that particular one is there or not. Give them a call. 978-635-0550

Aloha

Great archery shop. Brian makes some of the best strings you can get.
I didn't buy my bow there, but the first thing I did is have Viscosity Bow Strings put on my bow.

I ended up buying the Carbon Knight from Bowtech. Great bow, it's around that price range too. Stop in at Bob's and he'll take care of getting you set up and all that.

I ended up buying the Carbon Knight from Bowtech. Great bow, it's around that price range too. Stop in at Bob's and he'll take care of getting you set up and all that.

Stopped by there. Only cust in the place & Not so much as a "hello" from anyone working. Just stayed behind the counter. Left with my cash in my wallet. Not a lot there either but i Did see a carbon night on the wall.
Business must be really good.

Stopped by there. Only cust in the place & Not so much as a "hello" from anyone working. Just stayed behind the counter. Left with my cash in my wallet. Not a lot there either but i Did see a carbon night on the wall.
Business must be really good.

Bummer. Did you go up and talk to whoever was behind the counter?

I shoot a Beat Mauler. I love it. I haven't gone to any shops up here yet but Lee over at bass pro helped me out when I went in there for a new peep sight. He actually knew what he was doing which was refreshing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried to say hello but they had no interest. Im all set. Gonna spend my $ elsewhere...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had the same experience with Teepee archery in Acton, walked out of there with $1000 in my pocket. When i bought my second bow, i sent them an email about trading my Hoyt and shooting some other bows....never got a return email. Will never go to that place...ever! Im telling you, go to Jerry's in Milford or make the drive to Reedy's in Middleboro. Just dont go to Reedys on the weekend, they get stupid busy. As someone already posted, shoot as many bows as you can.

Back
Top Bottom