School me on bows

School me on bows

7DC48A5E_zps8c74d0e7.jpg

When you went to Tepee, what day of the week was it? They get stupid busy on the weekends too.
sorry you had a bad experience there.

Aloha

Had the same experience with Teepee archery in Acton, walked out of there with $1000 in my pocket. When i bought my second bow, i sent them an email about trading my Hoyt and shooting some other bows....never got a return email. Will never go to that place...ever! Im telling you, go to Jerry's in Milford or make the drive to Reedy's in Middleboro. Just dont go to Reedys on the weekend, they get stupid busy. As someone already posted, shoot as many bows as you can.

I am gonna make the trip to NH. I Talked to jesse at pelletiers and he was very friendly & helpful. Didnt make me feel like a stupid newb even tho i told him right away i def am when it comes to archery. He said they stock a bunch of brands and while he may prefer one over another, that may not suit me. Said to come up and try em all so i think i will.
Is there a brand or bow i should avoid? It sounds like hoyt, matthews, bowtech & pse are pretty well thought of. Are the bows at dicks/basspro any good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I bought a new Hoyt from Teepee a few years back and it was a great experience and its a great bow. the owner had me shooting bullseyes with it within 10 minutes. I would recommend them no problem.

I also have done more recent business w REEDYS archery, and the owner there was awesome. my buddy shoots competitivly and swears by readys and brought me there this fall and I was sold. reedys is closer to home for me, so I will be doing my future business there. very positive, friendly people - both behind the counter as well as the customers. was very impressed w the place! fixed my bow on the spot (didn't care where I bought it, just fixed it and said his priority was getting me back into woods killing deer!) gave great , sound advice, and sold me a few accessories that were quality and just what I needed.

good to go in my book.

Last edited:
BTW, shooting a new hoyt vs any old bow will blow u away. the new bows are SUPER fast and deadly accurate. that speed translates to very little drop within 35 yards which you probably know isnt the case w an older bow.
I've killed a ton of deer w mine and I consider it money very well spent.

BTW, shooting a new hoyt vs any old bow will blow u away. the new bows are SUPER fast and deadly accurate. that speed translates to very little drop within 35 yards which you probably know isnt the case w an older bow.
I've killed a ton of deer w mine and I consider it money very well spent.

I might be heading to the cape in a couple weeks so ill keep reedys in mind. I like the stats & reviews of the hoyt charger but i do want to shoot a few different ones to see if i am comfortable with one more than another. What poundage are you guys hunting with? Im hoping to use this for deer and maybe boar (if i get the chance to go down south).

I might be heading to the cape in a couple weeks so ill keep reedys in mind. I like the stats & reviews of the hoyt charger but i do want to shoot a few different ones to see if i am comfortable with one more than another. What poundage are you guys hunting with? Im hoping to use this for deer and maybe boar (if i get the chance to go down south).

Sounds like your doing the right thing by shooting a variety of bows. It doesn't matter where you go, as long as you get sound advice and someone who is experienced with setting up your equipment. I wouldn't get hung up on which brand, but pay attention to how smooth it draws, balance and quietness when firing. I would stay away from buying a set up from Bass Pro or Dicks, they usually carry low end, entry level set ups. It's best to pick out the bare bow and buy quality components (rest, sights, quiver, release). If you're going to be hunting, I highly recommend a lazer range finder that calculates angle from a tree stand. You'll also want to look a nice set of carbon arrows.[grin]

Sounds like your doing the right thing by shooting a variety of bows. It doesn't matter where you go, as long as you get sound advice and someone who is experienced with setting up your equipment. I wouldn't get hung up on which brand, but pay attention to how smooth it draws, balance and quietness when firing. I would stay away from buying a set up from Bass Pro or Dicks, they usually carry low end, entry level set ups. It's best to pick out the bare bow and buy quality components (rest, sights, quiver, release). If you're going to be hunting, I highly recommend a lazer range finder that calculates angle from a tree stand. You'll also want to look a nice set of carbon arrows.[grin]

thanks for the advice. i'll look into a range finder for sure. if i do get the charger, they offer it as a package with fuse brand accessories & i hoped that would be a decent starting point but if i can set one up for around the same then i will go that route. heres the charger package, decent accessories?
Charger Package

Save even more when you get the Charger pre-loaded with the FUSE high performance accessory kit featuring everything you need for the hunt at an unbelievable price.

FUSE ProFire 3 Pin Sight
FUSE Vector 4 Arrow Quiver
FUSE FlexBlade Stabilizer
Ultra Rest Hunter Arrow Rest
Hoyt Bow Sling
Peep Sight & Alignment Tubing

Hoyt_Charger_Package_2013_med.jpg

Last edited:
Of the above accessories, I highly recommend a drop away rest over the Whisker Biscuit. If it is wet and cold outside, it freezes affecting accuracy and the vanes touch it passing through affecting accuracy. When I switched over to drop away rest, my groups tightened dramatically. You can definitely start with the biscuit but it will be a matter of time until you switch over.

i have a mathews drenlin listed in the yard sale section top notch bow for a great price has all top notch stuff to go with. shoot me a pm if you would like to shoot 29 inch draw

Definately shoot all brands....... The Hoyt Charger and BT Assassin and Mathews Mission are good starters that are high quality and adjustable. Mathews top of the line bows aren't adjustable, that can be a pain if you ever sell it. Mathews are generally slower but smoother on the draw and feel a bit lighter the draw.

I think anyone looking for a new bow should go try several... Don't just go into it with a particular bow in mind. Don't buy into what brand loyalists are selling. Try them for yourself and make up your own mind. +1 for recommending Reedy's too. That place is incredible. Be prepared to wait for service. They are always busy AND they take their time with each customer. It was a 2 day process for me to identify and purchase my bow. They set up several for me to try, adjusting weight and length of pull. That sort of service takes time. But I walked in a complete novice and left with the tool and talent necessary to be successful in the field - and I was. They didn't just put me into a great setup - they taught me how to shoot and be fairly proficient - with practice.. I love that place. IDK if I have to wait an hour for service - I'll never go anywhere else.

I think anyone looking for a new bow should go try several... Don't just go into it with a particular bow in mind. Don't buy into what brand loyalists are selling. Try them for yourself and make up your own mind. +1 for recommending Reedy's too. That place is incredible. Be prepared to wait for service. They are always busy AND they take their time with each customer. It was a 2 day process for me to identify and purchase my bow. They set up several for me to try, adjusting weight and length of pull. That sort of service takes time. But I walked in a complete novice and left with the tool and talent necessary to be successful in the field - and I was. They didn't just put me into a great setup - they taught me how to shoot and be fairly proficient - with practice.. I love that place. IDK if I have to wait an hour for service - I'll never go anywhere else.

Damn. Thats high praise. Ill def keep them in mind.
I want something adjustable because i have a short draw & may pass it on to my kid if i decide to upgrade or maybe ill just buy him his own.

i wouldnt overthink which bow too much. Pick a good Hoyt or Mathews, and one that is somewhere in the top 2 or 3 of their line-up & it is gonna be just fine for any hunting or 3D shooting you might do.
Good luck

i wouldnt overthink which bow too much. Good luck

HA! thanks but i have some serious ocd when it comes to this stuff and have read & watched a lot of reviews and there is soo much about archery beyond the bow i think i may be in for a hell of an obsession with this one. i spent 2 hours on broadheads alone last night & i have yet to even shoot an arrow[rofl]...
speaking of arrows, there are thousands to choose from!

HA! thanks but i have some serious ocd when it comes to this stuff and have read & watched a lot of reviews and there is soo much about archery beyond the bow i think i may be in for a hell of an obsession with this one. i spent 2 hours on broadheads alone last night & i have yet to even shoot an arrow[rofl]...
speaking of arrows, there are thousands to choose from!

I personally like the Beman ICS carbon arrows and I use NAP Killzone Cut-on-Contact mechanical broadheads. I used the NAP Spitfire 3 Blades mechanical for years and liked those too, the mechanicals fly similar to a field point and aren't as temperamental as a fixed broadhead. One other tip, all releases aren't the same, get a quality release, one that is adjustable, and smooth to pull. I highly recommend one with a buckle instead of velcro (too loud in the woods). A quality release will run you $80+, try a few and you'll know what I mean. Shooting a bow is a lot of fun, way different than sighting in a shotgun for slug season. You'll find the woods all to yourself come bow season because it requires skill to kill with a bow. Anyone can shoot a slug gun and kill a deer 75 yards away. A skilled bow hunter watches a deer come in from 75 yards away, moves slowly to grab his bow, stays calm as the deer closes the distance, waits for the deer to give a vital shot opportunity, and draws back at when it's 20 yards or less when you swear it hear you blink your eyes. Now that's an adrenalin rush, that's hunting. Then shotgun deer season opens and the orange army invades the woods.[angry]

Back
Top Bottom