School me on glocks

There’s a ton of stuff that can be discovered through Google, no doubt. And I’ve done some searching for sure.
But I am interested in NESr’s opinions on glocks. My every day carry is a Sig P938. I’m looking at a glock but there are so many options and so many “generations” that it’s hard to keep them all straight.
If somebody would be up for making a recommendation on a great 9mm carry glock, I’d be all ears. Equally if somebody is up for giving me a readers digest version of some of the major points to know about the glock models, and distinguishing one from another (or one generation from another) even better. Links are fine too.
Thanks all.
I do have a handle on the MA list vs non list and what’s acceptable and not and all that jazz, so I’d like to keep this thread just to the types of glocks and not how to get them.

Glock 19. Compact 9mm. That would be my suggestion.

Gen 2 has no finger grooves, Gen 4 has the grooves and a different recoil system. Gen 5 is out now. Gen 4 and 5 are ambidextrous in terms of mag release, different backstraps, etc.

Glock 17 is the full size, Glock 26 is double-stack subcompact, Glock 43 is the single stack "pocket" glock.

Glocks are largely the same gun across models other than double/single stack variants, or the more "obscure" ones for competition with long slides, red dots, etc. Sometimes you'll hear, "if you've shot one Glock, you've shot 'em all."

I personally see my G19 as a tool. It's not my favorite, or the prettiest, but it's perfectly functional and does what I need it to do. Their customer service is top notch, too.

I have the variety of Glocks: 23, 30, 33 in .40, .45, .357sig respectively
The 23 / 19 is the workhorse of the name, without a doubt. Compact, versatile, full size mags still available.

Some more info.
Gen 2's don't have a rail system like the 3's, 4's and 5's
Gen 3's have smaller mag releases then the 4/5's
If you are southpaw you cannot move the mag release to the other side on gen 4's and have pre ban mags work. Not sure if that's the case on 5's so if someone knows please chime in

My opinion
Summer carry = 26
Every other season = 19
Home protection = 17

In the 9mm family be aware that the 43 has a single stack mag and is a lot thinner than the 26 which has a double stack mag. You really cannot go wrong with the 19 though.

Last edited:
Advantage to the Glock platform is a TON of parts and accessories out there. The construction across the platform is pretty standard. So if you know how to take one down, you can take them all down.

There are ways around the lists. It costs $, but there doesn't need to be a list.

As mentioned, the single-stack 9 Glock is the 43. You could go to the old school 36 (single stack 45) but I find the frame big front-to-back.

Gen4 allowed different backstraps - something EVERYONE somehow needed 3-5 years ago. Not sure if the same is for Gen5. But I know that Sig just gave the FU to backstraps with the 320. LOL

G43 is the single-stack 9. Factory mag is only six rounds. I have Pearce Plus-one magazine extensions which give me a pinky grip as well as 7 plus one in the first load and 7 in the reload. Very concealable, very shootable. Talon makes a wrap for the grip which gives it a really nice feel.

A lot of people like the G19. It's a "compact" 9.

I have a couple G17's, that's a full-size 9mm. Harder to conceal, but 17 rounds and full size. Plus a rail to hang a light off of.

People talk about 2 pin or 3 pin Glocks. They all have a pin through the backstrap. But then you have either one or two pins in the rest of the frame. You'll always a pin through the trigger and locking block, on the older models you'll only have that one pin, on the "newer", (since about 2000), you'll have two pins (the second through the locking block). Of course this isn't hard and fast. The .40 and 10mm had 3 pins total to start with, and the 9mm were upgraded. And the G42 and G43 are a different design, they're 2 pin only.

They're all glocks. They're ugly, the stock sights suck, the triggers run from yuck to meh. Throw a decent set of sights on them, do some trigger work and they're a great carry gun. Absolutely reliable. Still ugly.

If it's primary duty will be for EDC and you want to stick with 9mm.

The closest in size to your 938 will be the G43. Since it just came out last year... you don't have to worry about what gen... since there is only 1.

What's your build? Are you big, tall, short, thin, fat? Do you dress in tight fitting clothes or loose baggy layers?

Don't waste too much time thinking about which "One" at first... eventually you have several. What I really like is that if you get the full size double stack mags, then it will fit in all the double stack models (G26, G19, G17, F34).

If you really just want one... then get the G19. Does everything you ask it to do.

Thanks SO much for the awesome replies so far guys.
Truth be told, I have anumber of pistols and I’m simply not accurate with my 938 compared to everything else I’ve shot.
Every glock I’ve tried, I’ve been very accurate with. Thinking maybe it’s timr to try one. So far I’m most intrigued by the 9mm single stack 43. I much prefer a single over double stack.
Keep me coming guys. Thanks!

cj71cDp.png

My first pistol was a Gen 2 G23, no finger grooves or rail. Picked up a Gen 3 G23 w/night sights and rail in 2004 and sold the Gen 2. Bought a new Gen 4 G19 last summer because I want to switch to 9mm from .40 S&W and actually like the texture on the grip of the Gen 3(like sandpaper) more than the Gen 4(stippling). I also own a Gen 3 G22 and bought Gen 3 G17 and G19 complete uppers to switch to 9mm. If I could only own one carry pistol it would be a Glock.

Thanks SO much for the awesome replies so far guys.
Truth be told, I have anumber of pistols and I’m simply not accurate with my 938 compared to everything else I’ve shot.
Every glock I’ve tried, I’ve been very accurate with. Thinking maybe it’s timr to try one. So far I’m most intrigued by the 9mm single stack 43. I much prefer a single over double stack.
Keep me coming guys. Thanks!

If you struggle with the 938, you'll struggle with the G43. The short, thin grips on the single stack 9s don't lend themselves to ease of shooting. If you've been "very accurate" with every Glock you've tried, have they all been double stack? If so, definitely get trigger time on the G43 before you buy, as you might have the same issues as with your 938. Happy shooting!

I've had both the 938 and a 43. Key word being HAD, sold them both due to what Machete is saying.

I've sold a bunch of 26's but I seem to always go back after a period of time.

If you are out by the Holden area I can let you try it out. I pretty much have every 9mm version aside from the 19X

I like the Glock 19 as a do it all compromise pistol. It does everything pretty well but nothing great. It’s at the highest end of what I can comfortably carry in size and weight. Big enough to get s good grip. Also prebAns available.

If I had to pick one hand gun for the rest of my life (or go to war, or end of days) it would be a Gen4 Glock 19. It's the Honda Civic of guns: Boringly reliable, inexpensive, cheap factory parts, serviceable by a monkey, durable, accurate, uncomplicated.
Stock is great, but also the sky is the limit in terms of customization and aftermarket support. Out of the box they are fine, but I would recommend steel sights and then you can stop there if you want.
It's not my "favorite gun" but really it has no parallel. For what it is, it really is perfect.

I carry a g43 everyday, it's great. (I also have a 938 but never edc it)

If you’re only going to have one Glock I’d get one with the rail. The 19 or 17 (or 34 if you’re feeling adventurous) can fill a lot of roles. If you like a different caliber that’s fine too: they’re all pretty similar. The 22-23 are .40, and the 21-30 are .45. I’d avoid any of the other pistols for now, subcompacts, 10mm, .357 etc.

Prebans are a huge part of what makes glocks special. 9mm are expensive usually, .40 much less so, and it seems like they’re a lot more common. On top of that there are tons of holster and sight options. 10rd magazines are like $12 when they’re on sale and generally work.

I probably wouldn’t be such a huge Glock fanboy if I didn’t live in MA but here they’re really tough to beat.

Glock 19.

Too big?

Glock 26.

Too fat?

Glock 43.

Do the Gen 4 finger grooves fit your hand? Gen 4 or 5. Do they not? Gen 5.

Back
Top Bottom