• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on "Gun Trusts" (please?)

First, I will preface this by saying, I am a NH resident.

While I do not have an "arsenal" per say, I will say my collection has grown, and will probably grow a little more. I have no NFA items (yet), and right now, I am more concerned about firearms that I own being passed successfully to heir(s) or trusties, staying out of probate, and staying in "compliance".

I have a revocable trust.

Can non NFA items be placed in a "gun trust"?

Is this one of those "dude, why are you asking this on a web forum" things?

Plans going forward (NFA wise), I'd like to build a suppressed SBR, and maybe purchase a suppressor and dedicated pistol for it.

Thanks!

Non NFA items can be part of a trust. There's no such thing as a gun trust, it's a trust who's assets happen to be guns.

Many people including myself had trusts setup when law enforcement sign off was required by the ATF. When the laws changed a couple summers back and signoff was no longer needed a trust became more of a hassle for many people. A second benifit of a trust is that all trustees can possess an NFA item vs. the named individual on a typical form.

You don't need a trust to will firearms to the individuals you name when you pass, just include that in your estate planning. Someone will correct me if here but I don't believe any title two items (NFA goodies) would require the payment of a transfer tax stamp when your gone either and they're transferred to the individual you named in your estate planning but that individual will need to complete paperwork and background check with the ATF and await approval but their isn't a 200 tax stamp fee. Will waiting for approval for the transfer the executor of the estate can hold the items or an appropriately licensed dealer.

Back
Top Bottom