• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on k31 swiss

El_Guapo77

NES Member
I pulled the trigger and purchased a Swiss k31 it should arrive tomorrow if fedex dosen't screw it up 😅 any one else have one or fire one before ? What should I be on the lookout for when it arrives?

K31s are nice, and usually in great shape. 7.5x55 is a good round, and you can reload a standard .308 diameter round in it. It’s ballistically similar to 7.62x51, feels about the same recoil wise.

I had one a few years back but parted ways with it. They’re fun rifles, but just didn’t do it for me like a traditional bolt action rifle does. I would buy a hundred rounds of PPU Swiss, then reload. GP11 is too expensive and hard to come by these days. Plus, it’s berdan primed.

I pulled the trigger and purchased a Swiss k31 it should arrive tomorrow if fedex dosen't screw it up 😅 any one else have one or fire one before ? What should I be on the lookout for when it arrives?
I had one, in 6.5. It's on my short list of "I really, really shouldn't have sold that." I'm on the search for a second one. Might go for a 7.5, but I'd take either.

Ammo wasn't too hard to find, and isn't terribly expensive. It's been a few years, so I can't comment on how the trigger was, etc, but I did take it out to 200 yards without issue. And it was a fun conversation piece at the range.

And report back when you try to work the bolt like a normal bolt action and torque the thing sideways. It will happen.

K31.jpg

Last edited:
Swiss rifles are a great addition to any collection. Takes a few minutes to get used to the pull, but once you do you’ll like it. As to GP-11, it’s nearly unobtainable unless your willing to spend big bucks on it. PPU sell Swiss ammo which is decent. You should get some good groups with it.

E96405C6-30FE-4D7B-A2B0-66A4D0D80F2A.jpeg

If you are hard up for ammo, come see me and we can make our own. I recently sold my K31, but I have a few rounds in my stash.
Bring brass and we can make some with the 175gr SMK and Terminal Match 175 grainers. Live-fire onsite.
Also, when removing the bolt for the first time, make sure it is cocked (not on safe), or it may come apart in your hand. You'll soon figure it out.

View: https://imgur.com/out4JJO

Attachments

• 7.5Swiss Asst6a.jpg
    7.5Swiss Asst6a.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 10
  • P3070001.JPG
    P3070001.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I'm probably late to the party but I've read gp 11 surplus Is better? I did get some new prodicion ammo from our friends at targetsports
Nice. Didn’t think you’d be able to find any at TSUSA. Good to hear.
It’s the most accurate rifle I own. I put a scope on mine and got half inch groups at 100 yards

K31's and Swedish Mausers are largely considered the most accurate of milsurp rifles. Great triggers and overall outstanding quality. Via the K31, I've won a bunch of trinkets at local matches plus some silver medals at the annual CMP match at Camp Ethan Allen. The straight pull bolt is great for the rapid fire stages. I think the K31 might have the most Vintage Military Rifle wins at Camp Perry Nationals over the last 10 years or so.

Check under the butt plate to see if there is a troop tag. One of my K31's that I shoot most often in vintage matches was shot in the Swiss national Schuetzenfests by the same guy it was issued to in the service. The name on the troop tag under the butt plate matches the civilian business sticker and the Schuetzenfest sticker. There's a stack of Schuetzenfest inspection stickers on the hand guard.

1671200213109-png.698608

FYI, so far I have not found any new manufacture stripper clips that are worth a sh!t. Also the reproduction magazines are OK except for the latch pivot pins that like to fall out. Peen the ends of the pin a little and it will stay in place.

IMHO worth getting your hands on a little GP11 to at least try it in your K31. I spent a lot of time trying to develop a load that would beat GP11 and the best I could do was achieve similar results. PPU ammo is decent.

K31's and Swedish Mausers are largely considered the most accurate of milsurp rifles. Great triggers and overall outstanding quality. Via the K31, I've won a bunch of trinkets at local matches plus some silver medals at the annual CMP match at Camp Ethan Allen. The straight pull bolt is great for the rapid fire stages. I think the K31 might have the most Vintage Military Rifle wins at Camp Perry Nationals over the last 10 years or so.

Check under the butt plate to see if there is a troop tag. One of my K31's that I shoot most often in vintage matches was shot in the Swiss national Schuetzenfests by the same guy it was issued to in the service. The name on the troop tag under the butt plate matches the civilian business sticker and the Schuetzenfest sticker. There's a stack of Schuetzenfest inspection stickers on the hand guard.

1671200213109-png.698608

FYI, so far I have not found any new manufacture stripper clips that are worth a sh!t. Also the reproduction magazines are OK except for the latch pivot pins that like to fall out. Peen the ends of the pin a little and it will stay in place.

IMHO worth getting your hands on a little GP11 to at least try it in your K31. I spent a lot of time trying to develop a load that would beat GP11 and the best I could do was achieve similar results. PPU ammo is decent.
I've seen some charger/stripper clips on ebay the older wax paper ones? And there is w company who makes polymer clips I found as well I'll definitely have to hunt down some gp 11 at some point 🙂

In 2023, it might be tough, but I got mine about 20 years ago and was actually able to contact the original trustee of the rifle ... an old guy in Mutier, Switzerland ... he didn't have email, but I have a letter in my safe from him ... makes it one of the best historicals that I have in my collection. :)

I've seen some charger/stripper clips on ebay the older wax paper ones? And there is w company who makes polymer clips I found as well I'll definitely have to hunt down some gp 11 at some point 🙂
The older ones are OK. I don't know how long they will last. The polymer ones are garbage- seriously, don't waste your money. For matches I gave up on the stripper clips and just use extra mags.

I second the move on buying some of the PPU 7.5x55 and reload with 175 grs bullets, i.e. Sierra #2275 Match King. 168 grs SMK or Hornady HPBT will do the trick, too.
Be aware that these rifles are usually sighted in for 300m so a higher front sight could be needed, too.

i dont know anything about the rifle but there was a thred recently on arfcom about the most accurate 100yd rifle- lot of folks said it was the k31. good luck.

If you have access to the .217" diameter berdan primers (PMC LRB, KV-7,62N, etc.) the GP11 brass is readily reloadable. Otherwise accumulate Prvi or other boxer brass for reloads.

Attachments

• P2240020.JPG
    P2240020.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 10
  • P7030056.JPG
    P7030056.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 10
I've run all sorts of loads through my K31, but please note that some reduced loads that don't seal the chamber properly may result in gas in your face (it travels through the crevices in the bolt assembly). I'd imagine SOP is to run a sole diet of GP11 (or its equivalent) in this rifle

Attachments

• 7.5Swiss22lr.jpg
    7.5Swiss22lr.jpg
    799 KB · Views: 6
  • 7.5Swz(2).jpg
    7.5Swz(2).jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 6
have not shot a K31 yet that will not perform to your best ability. Reloading is probably key these days. you can find 308 tnt bullets on sale often and the 125/130 grain bullets are great for 200 yards. Great rifle for cast bullets also. Its a great rifle. wish I bought a few more when they where cheap.

49.5gr of RL-17 w/175gr SMK or Nosler did pretty will for me in a PPU case. Measure case volume for consistency.

I want to try some of that S&B…I didn’t even realize they made that caliber.

I feel like a dragon sitting on 4+ cases is GP-11, but I have 4 Swiss rifles. I’ve taken 3 of them out to 600yds with iron sights at the CMP Marksmanship Park in Talladega.

49.5gr of RL-17 w/175gr SMK or Nosler did pretty will for me in a PPU case. Measure case volume for consistency.

I feel like a dragon sitting on 4+ cases is GP-11, but I have 4 Swiss rifles. I’ve taken 3 of them out to 600yds with iron sights at the CMP Marksmanship Park in Talladega.
Daaamn. I got a couple hundred rounds left. But 4 cases!? Nice. I think it goes for $1.50+ per round on the CMP forums.

That’s impressive. I’ve been considering getting one for years. Maybe I’ll finally do it. The Swiss were great riflemen. It was the cornerstone of their defense system. Their Major H. von Dach wrote the classic “Total Resistance” about fighting an occupation force. It’s still worth reading.

Now that you have the K31, spend a little time and get it's predecessor the K11! Some call it the K1911. Just as good in my opinion. From my picture above it's the one with the brown knob on the bolt.

Daaamn. I got a couple hundred rounds left. But 4 cases!? Nice. I think it goes for $1.50+ per round on the CMP forums.
I happened across an ‘old school’ CMP competitor at the beginning of COVID and bought everything he had. Traded some stuff off (berdan primed 7.62x51 that was supposedly REALLY excellent ammo), but kept the GP-11. If I continue to reload for the caliber, I figure I can offer the ammo with the rifles if/when I end up selling them.

I don’t suppose anyone knows if it will ever be imported again? I have some batches from 1992 and I think that may have been one of the last years they produced it?

Just Arrived! Numbers are matching and it even came with a sling and a muzzle cap 🙂🙂🙂
Good for you; enjoy!
FWIW, I have a few of those charging clips (original style) and a no-mod scope mount. The mount interferes with charger feeding and I never would get reliable ejection with it.

FWIW, my neighbor has a pristine Schmidt-Rubin 1896/11 Rifle. He has had some issues with the law, so I think the firearms are being held elsewhere. Whether it could be for sale, IDK.

View: https://i.imgur.com/42yr8PP.jpg

Attachments

• K31charger.jpg
    K31charger.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom