School me on modern Springfield M1A's

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Since the thread popped up about what your dream gun would be and I answered a Springfield M1A, I've been thinking about how to acquire one. I think the only way I'm going to end up with one is to probably trade something I have already for one. My preference would be a Match M1A but it may be out of the question. A standard one may be more of what I can trade for.

I don't know a lot about them, what's good or bad. I am tending to lean towards a more modern firearm (as in not an "issue" one).

Try to talk me off the cliff (or not).

Buy a M14 clone that isn't a SA. I owned a SA SOCOM 16 and I found the gun relatively mediocre.

Figure out what you're going to do with a M14 clone first. If you're nostalgic, buy a clone with as many GI parts as possible. If you want a CMP match gun, get one. If you want an EBR DMR, look at Fulton Armory's higher end guns.

For a gun to actually "use", I'd suggest a FAL or G3 instead, but I get the vibe that this is more about nostalgia and aesthetic than practical utility.

Edit: SA specifically gets more love on this website than other brands, but that's probably because Springfield Armory M1As are exempted from the Mass AWB. If you don't live in Mass, you should really consider other brands.

Buy a M14 clone that isn't a SA. I owned a SA SOCOM 16 and I found the gun relatively mediocre.

Figure out what you're going to do with a M14 clone first. If you're nostalgic, buy a clone with as many GI parts as possible. If you want a CMP match gun, get one. If you want an EBR DMR, look at Fulton Armory's higher end guns.

For a gun to actually "use", I'd suggest a FAL or G3 instead, but I get the vibe that this is more about nostalgia and aesthetic than practical utility.

Edit: SA specifically gets more love on this website than other brands, but that's probably because Springfield Armory M1As are exempted from the Mass AWB. If you don't live in Mass, you should really consider other brands.
Yes, it's more of a "nostalgia" thing. In years past, I have shot the M1A's and just love the lines, the wood, etc. Unfortunately, I think actually buying one is off the table, at least for the foreseeable future though a trade for something I might have may be doable.

Yes, it's more of a "nostalgia" thing. In years past, I have shot the M1A's and just love the lines, the wood, etc. Unfortunately, I think actually buying one is off the table, at least for the foreseeable future though a trade for something I might have may be doable.

Look for old pre-1994 ban SAs with features like the bayonet lug and full-auto cut in the stock. There's also Norinco M14 clones, which are less expensive and fill in as clones nicely.

I picked up a SA "Loaded" M1A a few years back and it's one great rifle. Basically the "Loaded" level is a step below the Match grade and overall I have no complaints. She's very accurate and has functioned flawlessly using all kinds of ammo. The only down side I have is that I ordered it with the composite stock. If I had to do it again, I'd go with wood.

If you go with the Loaded or Match model and I don't see any downsides for you.

If your looking for the nostalgia and classic lines just grab a SA standard with walnut stock if your looking for slightly better accuracy get a loaded.
If your going to try and win the Nationals
Get a super match.
No real need to get a “pre ban” or one with GI parts.
With out getting to crazy on prices
SA
Bula
Fulton
Are at the lower price points.
I have seen a few fair priced M1a and variants for sale on gun broker and M14 forums. Especially for old school GI configuration

If I decide to do this, I may sell one of my AR's to do this. I have a BFI (Windham Bushmaster) XM-15 E2s target with A2 stock that I may let go of...prices seem to be right up there on Gun Broker...I think I'm pretty limited as to where I can sell it though.

Last edited:
Scout Squad. Lighter and quicker handling than the full length. Short rail to mount a LER scope or red dot, and can also utilize the side mount adapter for a normal scope. SOCOM uses a different gas block, and imo...is just plain stupid, short but heavy, too darn loud, seen them slamfire using PMC . When my son, who was shooting M14's as a Marine, tried my Scout, he got quite enthused [rockon]. I bought mine in the plastic stock, and to be honest, the accuracy sucked, real bad. I bought a walnut stock,bedded it, and torqued the gas block to spec., and it now makes me quite happy. Wasn't missing the steel plate at 200 yards, even after it had been shattered and was held by one chain, and about playing card sized. SA seems to have a habit of WAAAAY overtorquing the gas block, which neccessitated me using an extension over 2' long to loosen it the first time, and forums tell of folks who just never clean the front end....Hickok 45 couldn't give the one he got on loan back, and sent a check instead of the gun, and this guy put his through it's paces, and gives a nice positives/negatives report.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAfN5FNuo_0

if you get an M1a or M14, this is your guru...http://www.tonybenm14.com/
No matter what you get, they're beautiful guns.

I picked up a SA "Loaded" M1A a few years back and it's one great rifle. Basically the "Loaded" level is a step below the Match grade and overall I have no complaints. She's very accurate and has functioned flawlessly using all kinds of ammo. The only down side I have is that I ordered it with the composite stock. If I had to do it again, I'd go with wood.

If you go with the Loaded or Match model and I don't see any downsides for you.
I got a wood stock, iirc from Sadlak for a real good price. Thicker than mil, and super easy to bed. Yeah, wood is the way to go. I made my change after cleaning my M1a and Mini 14 simultaneously, and noticed the flex in the SA stock, whereas the Ruger plastic stock is typical of Rugers build quality imo.

Scout Squad. Lighter and quicker handling than the full length. Short rail to mount a LER scope or red dot, and can also utilize the side mount adapter for a normal scope.

I've been eying a Scout Squad for a while now. Would love to get one but thinking I don't need two M1As. Then again, maybe I do!

If I decide to do this, I may sell one of my AR's to do this. I have a BFI (Windham Bushmaster) XM-15 E2s target with A2 stock that I may let go of...prices seem to be right up there on Gun Broker...I think I'm pretty limited as to where I can sell it though.
Heck you should get 2k easy for that , easier sell than the M1a
Call that shop see if they will do a even trade.

Does Mass allow only Springfield Armory by-name M1-A’s, or “substantially similar” M1-A’s, like Fulton, Bula, etc?
M1a M14s are not named in the AWB and only have to pass the definition of AWB , AFAIK.
Im not to sure how many post 1994 M1a/M14 pattern rifles came with bayonet lugs .
But as long as your not putting a pistol grip chasis on a post 1994 M14 pattern rifle
You get the detach mag and one other evil feature, right? Any way The fuhrer says GTG!

Last edited:
I have the Scout Squad rifle and really like it a lot.
I don't shoot it nearly as much as I should.
When I was shooting it a bunch, even with the low-powered, fixed-magnification scope, hits on man-sized steel out to 400 yards was easily achievable.

M1A Scout side.JPG

Last edited:
I’ve had 7 of them now in all shapes and sizes/configurations and I’m currently left with 4...all full length (22”) and one of them (my EMR clone in a NSG Sage International chassis) is in 6.5 Creedmoor (Bula).

I built my M21 clone from a Fulton bare receiver and it shoots LIGHTS. OUT. I’m really proud of that build because of the care and attention to detail it received while fitting/piecing it together and headspacing perfectly to my own specs.

My ‘5 line’ M1A match was built by a former Marine Corps rifle team armorer (MOS 2112) Isaac ‘Chicken Mac’ McCaskill of Cassat Gun Works in SC. I will never change a single thing about that rifle until if/when something breaks or wears out. Built to perfection by a master of his craft.

My ‘other 5 line’ M1A has yet to be pieced together, but will be an accumulation of ALL Winchester parts I sought out over the years since buying that first match rifle with a $200 box of parts that has cost me north of $10,000 building rifles from its contents.

Would I do it again? Maybe.

Here’s the skinny...if you’re shooting under 300yds, a scout length barrel (18”) is perfectly fine if that tickles your fancy. If you want to stretch it out, go with a Bula 19.25 (yes, 1.25” of extra barrel makes a huge difference...just ask your wife) or any of the 22” offerings out there. I have had two with standard weight barrels and they both were incredibly accurate rifles. The medium profile barrels definitely kick that up a notch, and the heavy barrel variants are basically as close as you’ll get to bolt action accuracy out of a semi auto without owning a Gay-R15.

wood stock, polymer stock, aluminium or JAE chassis...pick your poison. The rifle is likely going to be more accurate than the shooter anyway unless you only shoot supported off a bench/rest.

whatever you get...get it dirty. M14’s need scratches/dings/scrapes and most of all, stories of the matches you shot with them.

Be a 30 caliber man in a 5.56 world...it really will make your dick grow bigger.

I should add...don’t buy a SOCOM until you do your research on it...16” isn’t nearly enough barrel to take advantage of the 7.62x51 cartridge, and the gas/operating systems are proprietary to that abortion of a variant.

fun, yup. Cool as f*** LOOKING, yessir. Practical? No f***ing way.

SHTF? You better have that Bushmaster AR you’re trying to sell or any AK variant ever made.

I got the "entry level" SA M1A a while back and have ZERO regrets. Until the CMP cashes in some unicorn farts, the BATFE has a brain cramp and you can buy a converted M14 it's the next best thing. Keep an eye on sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com - got mine there on sale and my FFL said that he couldn't match that price anywhere.

i have a scout squad but purchased it back when they were cheaper like $1200. if i were starting it over now I'd look at a Bula Defense or Fulton Armory rifle although they're pricy.

@timbo , I highly recommend something with a forged receiver. Some of the old SA's were reportedly forged, but for new I'd simply go for something made by Bula Defense 22" Traditional M14 - Bula Defense Systems

I bought a .308 barreled receiver + build kit from them. Some of my parts are USGI- sight if I recall correctly plus some other stuff. Found a beautiful USGI stock from a member here- it had been restored by one of the well known M14 builders. I shoot the piss out of that thing and it's always been reliable plus a tack driver. In your case I'd just buy a finished 'M14' from Bula and you'll be good to go.

100 yard target-
XLqYAnM.jpg

M1a M14s are not named in the AWB and only have to pass the definition of AWB , AFAIK.
Im not to sure how many post 1994 M1a/M14 pattern rifles came with bayonet lugs .
But as long as your not putting a pistol grip chasis on a post 1994 M14 pattern rifle
You get the detach mag and one other evil feature, right? Any way The fuhrer says GTG!

So I'm guessing that this Archangel stock wouldn't fly up there in MA, would it? I've since removed the stock anyway and switched back to wood. While I liked the change, I've got enough other toys with similar features to keep me satisfied.

full

Frank

I should add...don’t buy a SOCOM until you do your research on it...16” isn’t nearly enough barrel to take advantage of the 7.62x51 cartridge, and the gas/operating systems are proprietary to that abortion of a variant.

fun, yup. Cool as f*** LOOKING, yessir. Practical? No f***ing way.

SHTF? You better have that Bushmaster AR you’re trying to sell or any AK variant ever made.
Yeah...I'm not really interested in a SOCOM...I have several AR variants...the BM is the one I have that is least used and probably the one I could get the most money for. I'm still on the fence about what I'm going to do though. I do like the BM but like I said, I have several AR M4geries and no M1A. ;)

Yeah...I'm not really interested in a SOCOM...I have several AR variants...the BM is the one I have that is least used and probably the one I could get the most money for. I'm still on the fence about what I'm going to do though. I do like the BM but like I said, I have several AR M4geries and no M1A. ;)
It’s a sickness, you know?

We all started with a single M1A/M14.

I had to start selling mine off because between those and the 7 Garands I had, they were taking up half the real estate in my safe. Those god damn charging handles stick out worse than my AK’s.

I’m happy with the 4 I kept...I should have probably kept them all, but they’ve funded other projects since.

if I were to say ‘yes’ to ‘doing it all over again’, and if I were smarter than I look (which I’m not), I would buy a new Springfield armory loaded and be done with it. Lifetime warranty can NOT be beat...and they actually stand by it for rifles made after a certain date.

THAT being said, M14’s offered me a path into home gunbuilding/smithing that I don’t think I could have gotten anywhere else. I had forum support (have since been perma-banned) and got answers to almost all my questions...and just made the rest up as I went along based off experience/mechanical know-how from the Garands.

If you really just want a shooter...get an off-the-shelf M1A and call it a day. I doubt you’ll ever regret it. Especially if they end up getting banned.

Post pics when you finally cave in please.

I had the standard grade, the national match and the super match at the same time. Didn't plan to have all three, it just worked out that way. All three were fantastic rifles. the standard grade was very accurate, The national match was a tack driver as was the super match, but the stock on super the match, was way to thick, for comfortable shooting, for me. Overall my favorite was the national match. I won a 300 yard helium filled balloon shooting match with the national match, shooting against some very nice scoped, bolt action rifles, but to be fair, most of the other shooters were not experienced at hitting moving targets / calculating wind movement. The point is that the SA rifles are accurate and top shelf.

BATF " once a machine gun, always a machine gun " 1969 small arms of the world lists M14m. The m stands for modified. The selector shaft had been welded so as to prevent the use of the full auto parts. These M14 ms were sold at Camp Perry in the 60's to CMP members and state rifle clubs. In the early 70's is when BATF came out with the rule once a machine gun always a machine gun and went out to collect the ones sold at Camp Perry. A few people Registered them during the 68 amnesty.

Back
Top Bottom