• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on modern Springfield M1A's

The op rod 'fitting' is most likely attributed to SA not machining the dismount notch correctly. Brookfield Precision Tool corrects most SA receivers that come into the shop with this problem.
1615608189989.png

... carbine was food for crawling through the ruble of bombed out cities.
6717-original.jpg

Buy a M14 clone that isn't a SA. I owned a SA SOCOM 16 and I found the gun relatively mediocre.

Figure out what you're going to do with a M14 clone first. If you're nostalgic, buy a clone with as many GI parts as possible. If you want a CMP match gun, get one. If you want an EBR DMR, look at Fulton Armory's higher end guns.

For a gun to actually "use", I'd suggest a FAL or G3 instead, but I get the vibe that this is more about nostalgia and aesthetic than practical utility.

Edit: SA specifically gets more love on this website than other brands, but that's probably because Springfield Armory M1As are exempted from the Mass AWB. If you don't live in Mass, you should really consider other brands.
SAI gets the love because of price and warranty
A SAI standard (under normal times) could be had for $1300-$1600
Your base LRB, Fulton, armscorp and even Bula are much more , get into tge national match and super match types and $$$$$$

SAI gets the love because of price and warranty
A SAI standard (under normal times) could be had for $1300-$1600
Your base LRB, Fulton, armscorp and even Bula are much more , get into tge national match and super match types and $$$$$$

The Bulas are $1500 last I checked. I mean I won't quibble over the difference, but many will.

The Bulas are $1500 last I checked. I mean I won't quibble over the difference, but many will.
I have not seen a bula for $1500 in a while.
When I was looking to buy vs build you could not touch a bula for less than $1800
That was 2018
There are differences but I honeslty could not say which is better a base bula or a base SAI or a base fulton
There all using mostly commercial parts
I have no idea whos making what and for who.
I think SAI has come along way
It comes down to how much you want to spend

PS : find me a bula for $1500 and I will take 2

Last edited:
The op rod 'fitting' is most likely attributed to SA not machining the dismount notch correctly. Brookfield Precision Tool corrects most SA receivers that come into the shop with this problem.
View attachment 461048

Anyone use Brookfield Precision Tool?

I tried to find a contact for BPT - butonly found a weird site with a number 508.867.6742 - Got an answering machine with a curt 'you called me leave a message.' Is that them?

My Op Rod is a pain and a half to get out of my Springfield - figure some milling would take care of it. Using someone that has done it a bunch of times before is appealing to me, despite the drive...

I tried to find a contact for BPT - butonly found a weird site with a number 508.867.6742 - Got an answering machine with a curt 'you called me leave a message.' Is that them?

My Op Rod is a pain and a half to get out of my Springfield - figure some milling would take care of it. Using someone that has done it a bunch of times before is appealing to me, despite the drive...
SAI M1a? Usually after tou pop it off 1 or 2 it loosens up.
IDK for me I would leave it alone. How often do you need to pop off the op rod?

SAI M1a? Usually after tou pop it off 1 or 2 it loosens up.
IDK for me I would leave it alone. How often do you need to pop off the op rod?

SAI M1a Precision Loaded.

Okay, I'll give it a few more goes (not anytime soon).

Took it off once when I first got the [used] almost-new rifle to clean it as it hadn't been cleaned before. Maybe 400-500 rounds down the pipe.

I'm pretty much Mitch's 'go between' as he's been trying to be retired for 2 or 3 decades. He still does gunsmithing when he feels up to it. In the past couple years, through me, BPT did a couple of runs of XM25 parts for a group of us who where building replicas.

Check to see if the bottom of the dismount slot is the same level as the op rod slot.

The reason I own 2 M1A's is because I was issued a M14 in the army. I have to admit that it is sentimental. I am sure others feel the same way. Plus they are art in my eyes. Beautiful rifle. I shoot them occasionally as they are heavy. Due to that, I shoot my AR's more and my lever guns....

I want one, but as a fun gun, not a practical addition to the collection. I’ve only been at it for 3+ years now, so I have to weigh the want/need heavier than some and I also have limited funds and space.

They seem like moderately expensive guns for what you get. They certainly have some history attached, and they may or may not be decently accurate. Also, heavy. For my money, I’d go AR10 for something lighter, potentially more accurate, and reliable (I’m a lefty and the moving op-rod was a concern) for potentially less money. Is an AR10 as cool? Absolutely not. But I’m not there yet with my “collection” especially with something as spendy.

Also, this review is interesting, especially SA’s response to the accuracy concerns. At least the reviewer admits to being “an a**h*** in a tank top” in the first minute. It wasn’t confidence inspiring when I started researching them and looking to buy one.

View: https://youtu.be/U11URice_cM

I want one, but as a fun gun, not a practical addition to the collection. I’ve only been at it for 3+ years now, so I have to weigh the want/need heavier than some and I also have limited funds and space.

They seem like moderately expensive guns for what you get. They certainly have some history attached, and they may or may not be decently accurate. Also, heavy. For my money, I’d go AR10 for something lighter, potentially more accurate, and reliable (I’m a lefty and the moving op-rod was a concern) for potentially less money. Is an AR10 as cool? Absolutely not. But I’m not there yet with my “collection” especially with something as spendy.

Also, this review is interesting, especially SA’s response to the accuracy concerns. At least the reviewer admits to being “an a**h*** in a tank top” in the first minute. It wasn’t confidence inspiring when I started researching them and looking to buy one.

I don’t think they are spendy guns at all, the ammo , maybe.

That's a highly entertaining video and he has good delivery. Yes, his / their shooting does suck- at least enough to get the results shown. If that Springfield National Match gets 1.25" groups with irons via one of the lead techs shooting it, it should get ballpark close to that with someone else shooting. Of course that assumes minimal skill levels involved. Entertaining guy and he knows how to produce a good video, but he can't shoot worth a shit and his poor technique is evident. His whining about getting eaten by the op rod is because he wants to use the wrong technique when holding the rifle. No, they are not as idiot proof as a M4 / AR / M16. Basically a millennial saying "Can't be me!". Not picking on all millennials- many can kick my ass in a match. SA's responses are correct, and he's a bit of a tool for insinuating that they are not.

His ergonomics bitching is odd. The M14 is nice to shoot. LOL the meat tenderizer comment about the butt plate makes me think he's conducting some artful trolling rather than actually being negative about the rifle. Seems possible.

All said and done, an AR-308 can be built for less money to reach accuracy not possible in a M1A. If I want to bang plates at distances requiring a scope (well over 200 yards), I'm grabbing the 6.5 CM AR. If 200 yards or less, I'm grabbing the M14 with iron sights unless the plates are tiny. Again, unless they are just messing around and trolling, those guys should have been hitting those 100 yard plates with boring repetition unless they really do suck that badly. Taking another look at the video and seeing how much attention is going into the shooter looking cool- yeah, I'm laughing and thinking this is more trolling than serious critique.

Going how far back?
(My collection only goes as far back as the Springfield '03.)
1903, 1903A3, M1, M1 carbine, M14, M16A1, M16A2, M4

I should say main, or most popular lol. My M16's of course aren't nfa items, but repro lowers were attained with the correct markings and built as accurate as possible true to the original.

I do.
Perhaps my income and living situation alters my viewpoint in a way that means our opinions on $2,000 guns doesn’t properly align?
RM1SPECIALRACKCMP Special Rack Grade (.30-06) M1 Garand. This is a partially refurbished rifle with a refinished M1 receiver, new production criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver is the only part of the rifle that has been refinished. Remainder of the other parts have NOT been refinished.
Receiver will have heavy pitting above the wood line.
Available
$750
Free S/H

14-16 Week Delivery
Confirmation of order could take up to 8-12weeks

A lot cheaper than a M1A and way more history.

Bula Defense M14 - go forged receiver or go home .,.

When I worked at GE, a few of us went out shooting, and I once witnessed a ‘cast M1A receiver’ breaking and smacking the guy’s wife right in the head, almost killing her. The grain structure of the action look like a Nestlé’s crunch bar 😳 !

Bula Defense M14 - go forged receiver or go home .,.

When I worked at GE, a few of us went out shooting, and I once witnessed a ‘cast M1A receiver’ breaking and smacking the guy’s wife right in the head, almost killing her. The grain structure of the action look like a Nestlé’s crunch bar 😳 !
A Springfoeld M1A?

Back
Top Bottom