• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on thermal scopes

I would have to rewatch it because I watched it like a year ago, but if that is the case, then I definitely don't approve of animal cruelty. I'm a big animal guy and love animals as pets, respect animal conservation, and ethical hunting practices. Being raised in Boston, I have never personally gone hunting although I would be open to it if I learned properly and got my hunters license. I also believe in humane kills in all areas hunting and combat related. Thank you for pointing this out and I apologize that you found the video disturbing in this way.

Not your bad and sorry if that's the perception I gave. My next door neighbor and I had to take out a couple nuisance coyotes in TN because they were busting through fences to eat neighborhood pets in broad daylight and they were a likely threat for several very small kids in the area. You do what you must, but it's imperative to take responsible shots. Besides the issue of poor shots possibly being cruel, leaving an injured but mobile predator on the loose is bad juju. I was interested to see this video but didn't like how the guy continued to take several shots that were clearly beyond his skills and/or equipment capability- that's all.

Here I am with my leupold quest.

Tried a Flir Scout once. I found it awkward and clunky to use with terrible battery life and mediocre capabilities. Everyone said that i'd be great for hunting down wounded deer and wotnot, but honestly if fell short in this category. Being less than impressed I flopped it for a leupold quest- Now the quest has a screen so you can get a better coverage when you wave your hand around which is nice, the batteries last WAY longer, and it is definitely more sensitive.

Ironically though, after using it last year I'm not sold on the ergonomics of the Leupold either, I wanted to step away from the monocular as I felt hunting It limited me to about 90* of vision where the quest gives a much wider angle, however, the sacrifice is no longer visually looking at what you're spotting on the thermal, and the thermal sensor being off axis to the center of the unit.

The two thermal rifle scopes I've owned are the Trijicon IR Hunter MKII and the Pulsar Thermion XP38. ...bought the Thermion which comes with onboard video recording. I can see mice 100 yards away running up and down my berm in total dark.

I don't know what your budget is but Pulsar makes some good stuff, Trijicon is great too just more $$$$.
Several sites show the XP38 as discontinued, doesn't appear on Pulsar website -- anybody have experience with current Pulsar models?

Several sites show the XP38 as discontinued, doesn't appear on Pulsar website -- anybody have experience with current Pulsar models?
The Thermion is new, you're probably looking at the trail.

Aside from it just being cool, what is the practical application for a civilian to own a thermal scope? What sort of situations would it be used in?
I feel like I should add in a disclaimer that this is a genuine question, no tone or judgement; I’m genuinely curious.

Information, you can see things in day or night that you would not otherwise be able to see.
There is no better tool to aid in getting rid of rats or other nuisances.
Hunting regulations aside, using a thermal at night dramatically increases your odds at putting food on the table. If shtf situation, the time and energy it would save is invaluable.
If you believe in guns, being prepared, self defense and having the best tools available for that purpose then why would you not have a thermal.

I've had a few thermals, mainly Pulsar and Flir. These things are like flat panel televisions--they keep getting better and cheaper. So, the longer you wait, the better unit you will be able to purchase. Some of the Pulsars have had issues with "wandering zeros," where the zero seems to shift for no particular reason. I feel like IR stuff holds is value pretty well, but thermal becomes outdated fairly quickly, like everything else electronic.

Switched out the optic on my rifle from IR to thermal.

I'm still exploring options for capturing photos and video through the scope.

ATN THOR LT 160 3-6X Ultra Light Thermal Rifle Scope.
Matrix Aerospace Inc. lower.
Stag 15 A3 Left Handed upper.
AAC M4-1000 suppressor.

AR rifle thermal scope left side.jpg

A few nights ago I used it to ambush this raccoon that was raiding the pig feeder.
Range was 34 yards from my bedroom window at 0300hrs.
55gr. FMJ 5.56mm

raccoon pig feeder 10.25.21.jpg

This motion sensor alerted me to presence of the critter.

camo motion sensor on post.jpg

not thermal, but nice and compact, plus price is decent compared to others......

I've probably killed 50 varmints over the last 5 years with my thermal scopes.

BTW ATN = Garbage

Yep -save you money... If you want to scan, the FLIR IR breach is where I would start...I have owned several IRD/Trijicon scopes that are great for other applications...

Funny this should be posted now. I'm just about to post my FLIR Scout for sale.

AAC M4-1000 suppressor.

View attachment 539373

A few nights ago I used it to ambush this raccoon that was raiding the pig feeder.
55gr. FMJ 5.56mm

View attachment 539374

View attachment 539376
What do you have that motion sensor triggering, a chime or a light? Is it wireless?

I have some pests bothering with my chicken coop and I am real close to credit carding a thermal scope to handle business.

Aside from it just being cool, what is the practical application for a civilian to own a thermal scope? What sort of situations would it be used in?
I feel like I should add in a disclaimer that this is a genuine question, no tone or judgement; I’m genuinely curious.

Which thermal scope is best for watching your neighbors’ intimate relations through walls? Asking for a friend… (ok, well really… asking for Reptile 😉)

I'm using this one. I have sensors where predators normally roam through.

Guardline ¼ Mile Long Range Wireless Driveway Alarm Outdoor Weather Resistant Motion Sensor & Detector- Best DIY Security Alert System- Monitor & Protect Outside Property, Yard, Garage, Gate, Pool Amazon product ASIN B01M3QINCMView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M3QINCM/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_N0VDJRR1TG12K0WQ4TH9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sometimes I'll get alerts for squirrels and mice.
Does the unit you use do the same thing?

Yeah. It's motion and thermal so I do get small critter alerts. You can mitigate by mounting it higher and/or altering the sensitivity. It has dip switches to customize each sensor. I have mine on the most sensitive positions.

AAC M4-1000 suppressor.

View attachment 539373

55gr. FMJ 5.56mm

View attachment 539374

View attachment 539376
How’s that thermal scope work during daylight? I just got back from Maine today after a weeklong deer hunting trip with nothing to show for it😂
Not a ton of deer in the Freeman area. I did jump a couple yesterday morning but the friggin woods are so thick I literally couldn’t see them.

I often wondered if a thermal scope would be helpful to locate deer that are in thick brush?

ATN THOR LT 160 3-6X Ultra Light Thermal Rifle Scope
i looked up reviews of this scope on amazon and the majority seem to be pretty abismal, complaining mostly about screen getting out of focus after each shot or getting image freeze all the same. how is your sample working? are you happy with it?

i looked up reviews of this scope on amazon and the majority seem to be pretty abismal, complaining mostly about screen getting out of focus after each shot or getting image freeze all the same. how is your sample working? are you happy with it?
I zeroed it and then when to opportunity presented itself, I shot the racoon.
That makes me happy.
While zeroing, I did not experience an unfocused screen nor and image freeze.
(Sample of one.)
I have not done any "tactical" drills or otherwise extensive shooting with it.
When time allows, I just might.
For the time being, the rifle/optic will be readily available for dispatching other varmints who are looking for a free meal.

How’s that thermal scope work during daylight? I just got back from Maine today after a weeklong deer hunting trip with nothing to show for it😂
Not a ton of deer in the Freeman area. I did jump a couple yesterday morning but the friggin woods are so thick I literally couldn’t see them.

I often wondered if a thermal scope would be helpful to locate deer that are in thick brush?
As @xtry51 mentioned in post #51, it works just the same.
I believe that in thick brush you will see the thermal image, but may have trouble identifying the specific target.

The challenge of zeroing was having a thermal target to aim at.
I ended up using a highly technical solution;
I held my thumb on top of a 1" black pastie for 30 seconds and then walked back to the firing line.
The thermal image of my thumb was still visible on the target and I was able to fire three well aimed shots.
This is one of the reasons I'm trying to find a solution for videoing through the scope; to talk through and show the thermal zeroing process.

Yeah. It's motion and thermal so I do get small critter alerts. You can mitigate by mounting it higher and/or altering the sensitivity. It has dip switches to customize each sensor. I have mine on the most sensitive positions.
I've learned that one alert on my receiver means a small animal ran past the sensor and I'll go back to sleep.
Multiple alerts in quick succession means something is rummaging through the top of the pig feeder, so I'll get up and take the shot.

As @xtry51 mentioned in post #51, it works just the same.
I believe that in thick brush you will see the thermal image, but may have trouble identifying the specific target.

The challenge of zeroing was having a thermal target to aim at.
I ended up using a highly technical solution;
I held my thumb on top of a 1" black pastie for 30 seconds and then walked back to the firing line.
The thermal image of my thumb was still visible on the target and I was able to fire three well aimed shots.
This is one of the reasons I'm trying to find a solution for videoing through the scope; to talk through and show the thermal zeroing process.
Thanks for the info guys. It’s very tempting to buy one to mess around with. Maybe when I get my raise/covid bonus next year I’ll decide 😂

I'm looking at one of these.
Tfijicon Electro-Optics Reap-IR 640x 480.

I'm looking at one of these.
Tfijicon Electro-Optics Reap-IR 640x 480.

That looks amazing!

I love looking at the prices over the past decades.

What was $10,000 in 1980 now costs $100.

The lower cost of tech is amazing - and much smaller.

$7,000 for a scope is a lot of money but if you really want it - get it.

You just have to realize that in 2 years that tech will be 1/2 the cost.

If you can justify the enjoyment of $3,000 in depreciation it is worth it over 2 years.

Life is short.

Your best bet is to join some forums, study, and handle a real one for a few months and then decide.

Do your research.

A hog hunting outfit in Georgia uses them on their ARs. Use of this specialized equipment for hunting hogs at night is part of the package price for their clients. Plenty of successful hog hunters just use a basic scoped bolt action center fire rifle. No need for expensive gimmicks.

That looks amazing!

I love looking at the prices over the past decades.

What was $10,000 in 1980 now costs $100.

The lower cost of tech is amazing - and much smaller.

$7,000 for a scope is a lot of money but if you really want it - get it.

You just have to realize that in 2 years that tech will be 1/2 the cost.

If you can justify the enjoyment of $3,000 in depreciation it is worth it over 2 years.

Life is short.

Your best bet is to join some forums, study, and handle a real one for a few months and then decide.

Do your research.
You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Back
Top Bottom