• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School shooting issue.

What is sad is that:

A) there aren't more teachers, earlier, that realize they speak into these kids' lives and should be doing this.

B) there isn't more education for STUDENTS to lift up each-other. Start early.

C) there isn't dope-slap training for parents to wake the F up and help their kids when A and B aren't happening. Because IT'S YOUR F'ING KID, MORON!!!!

I continue to be shocked at how many parents think Little Johnny or Suzie is just an angel and they are really the terror of their class. Especially little girls. What B-words they can be. I watched it so often. And mom and dad thought that the little angel was just SO precious. If I found out my kid acted like that, the dent in their heads would be so large as to require a huge hairstyle the remainder of their life to hide it. ;)

Once a fellow parent told my mother that if she kept disciplining and having "unreasonable rules" for my sister, that my sister was just going to rebel and have all sorts of problems? Guess who's daughter did drugs and dropped out of college .... yeah wasn't my sister. Dreadlocks is not a becoming hairstyle on a suburban girl living with her parents.

Just about everyone here is against any type of gun control, so here is my question. Other than arming teachers (Which I favor), what can be done to help prevent this problem?

The answer is to have armed deadly force immediate response in an active shooter situation.. The most recent one in MD is a perfect example. I read in another post somewhere, that if not teachers/school staff, someone suggested having an armed neighborhood watch kind of setup where folks that legally carry volunteer to go to some advanced trraining and stand a watch at the school.
The idea is to have alot of folks there during school hours.. Not 2 or 3.. but enough to cover the entire school grounds wth a very good chance of confronting the shooter at the very early stages of the event.

Just about everyone here is against any type of gun control, so here is my question. Other than arming teachers (Which I favor), what can be done to help prevent this problem?
We could start with why do children feel the need to kill their classmates?

Johnny is a psychopath bent on killing as many people as possible with a gun.
Now lets take little Johnny's gun away:
Johnny is a psychopath bent on killing as many people as possible.

Or, from a slightly different angle:
Does Johnny kill his classmates because he's got an AR at his disposal and think he needs to use it, or is there something else going on?

to to figure out why student and young people want to inflict harm and death on random people just to be evil little shits?
Im not really sure WTF is going on but we need to start looking at common connections with this type of violence. Instead of just crying "guns"
No one talks about banning any other device for killing.
I also think teaching kids about the Constitution and at least have to read and have tests on the what our founding drafters had in mind

I just found this and have not yet dug into it . Im curious if its been any way manipulated ?
The Papers of the Founding Fathers Are Now Online

Sorry that this is a long answer, but it's a complicated problem.

What can be done to help prevent mass shootings? I find it helpful to break the problem down 3 ways: internal vs external threat, left or right of bang, plus hard and soft measures. Internal threats are insiders, members of the community who lash out. Parkland FL, Great Mills MD, the DC Navy Yard, and San Bernadino all involved insiders shooting up their school or their work colleagues. Mother Emanuel Church in Charleston is an example of an external threat, an outsider who comes in and shoots people.

Academics favor “soft” measures to prevent school violence, including counselors, therapists, social workers etc. providing services to kids at risk. These measures are all worthwhile for lots of reasons besides just violence prevention. These are things we can do left of bang, i.e. before the first shot. They can help reduce the internal threat, but they have no impact at all against the external threat.

Some folks favor “hard” measures like security doors, metal detectors, armed guards, armored schools. These measures will have little impact on the internal threat. With patience and imagination, students can bypass these measures just as inmates in a prison do. Hardening can help reduce the external threat from outsiders, if only by causing them to move on and look for a softer target.

Gun free zones are the opposite of hardening. They guarantee the target is soft, and they advertise that fact – a massively stupid idea on many levels. IMHO, all laws restricting the right to carry on campus should be eliminated immediately. Licensed staff, faculty, parents, coaches, babysitters, bus drivers etc. should all be permitted to carry on campus just as they do off campus. I’d be happy to provide free instruction and coaching to any school personnel who want it, and I imagine there are many qualified instructors like me in every school district in the country. I’d encourage the local police departments to define training standards and to help with the training/coaching/practice for the community, with particular emphasis on how armed staff should behave once Law Enforcement arrives.

IMHO, schools should be hardened to the point that people who don’t belong there can't enter the buildings without first checking in with the office. Further physical hardening starts to make the school feel like a prison. I think licensed staff and faculty should be permitted and encouraged to carry on campus if they so choose. I think licensed members of the community should also be permitted to carry on campus, including parents, nannies, uber drivers, etc. I think that staff should also be trained in first aid, with particular emphasis on treating major trauma from gunshot, cut, or blast. Whether or not they choose to carry, they should all know how to keep a victim alive until the ambulance arrives. They should have access to and know how to use tourniquets, hemostatic agents, chest seals, decompression needles, CPR, etc.

To summarize what can be done: Left of bang we have “soft” measures providing social services to at-risk kids, and “hard” measures securing the facility and training the staff and faculty in firearms if they so choose, in first aid, and in handling disasters like active shooter, bomb blast, slasher, etc. If all goes as planned, the soft measures neutralize internal threats, and the hard measures defend against external threats, so there is no bang. If all that fails, and we find ourselves right of bang, we put all that training into play, neutralizing the threat and treating the wounded ASAP.

Finally, there are some really bad ideas floating around that I’m strongly against. Unsupervised lock boxes on campus are a really bad idea. Basic metal shop tools can defeat any lock box. Off-body carry is another non-starter. If you’re going to bring a gun to school, it must be under your direct control at all times, not in a purse or locked a drawer or closet. Forcing teachers to carry against their will is another really bad idea, though I don’t think any shooter ever suggested such a thing. Prohibition has never worked, whether prohibiting alcohol, illegal drugs, guns or magazines of any sort. The black market will always meet demand.

israel-teacher-rifle.jpg

What issue? School shootings are becoming more and more rare, just as they are becoming more and more sensationalized by the media. Schools are safer today than they were yesterday.

View: https://www.npr.org/2018/03/15/593831564/the-disconnect-between-perceived-danger-in-u-s-schools-and-reality?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180316

People ignore this fact just like they ignore the fact that violent crime has been dropping steadily year-after-year since the early 90s. This country is becoming safer but the media keeps blowing favorable stats out of proportion.

Look how the weather is reported. It is the main event in network news.
Sensationalized to the point of hysteria. Even normal events like rain in spring and heat in the summer are portrayed as disaster events.
School shootings are a ratings bonanza, to be exploited to the max in order to prop up a discredited institution.
News isn't news anymore,its entertainment.
"If it bleed it leads"
It is irresistible to these gluttons.

What issue? School shootings are becoming more and more rare, just as they are becoming more and more sensationalized by the media. Schools are safer today than they were yesterday.
People ignore this fact just like they ignore the fact that violent crime has been dropping steadily year-after-year since the early 90s. This country is becoming safer but the media keeps blowing favorable stats out of proportion.

All true. But you don’t always plan for the “most likely” scenario; you also plan for the “most dangerous.” I learned that in the Army, where limited time during troop-leading procedures often means you only get an opportunity for two rehearsals before a mission. If that happens, you plan for and rehearse the enemy’s “most dangerous” and “most probable” courses of action.

Same with school violence.

By your logic here, the odds of being involved in a gunfight are so ridiculously low that there’s no point in any of us carrying. But we carry anyway, because in spite of the odds against needing a gun, the effects are outweighed by how catastrophic it’ll be IF it ever happens.

School shooting plans are the same. Despite the odds against, those of us working in schools ought to plan for the most dangerous scenario.

Look how the weather is reported. It is the main event in network news.
Sensationalized to the point of hysteria. Even normal events like rain in spring and heat in the summer are portrayed as disaster events.
School shootings are a ratings bonanza, to be exploited to the max in order to prop up a discredited institution.
News isn't news anymore,its entertainment.
"If it bleed it leads"
It is irresistible to these gluttons.
Exactly right. Many factors are coming together to manufacture this sudden terrible "crisis" and the hysterical leftist media looking for ratings, influence and political power is number one. Family and mental health-related failures comes next. Political failures (e.g., "Gun-Free" Zones, Promise Program et al) are third and FBI/police/court system failures aren't very far behind. It is a perfect storm that has come together to cause and then exploit these tragedies. And since none of the leftist-proposed "gun control" solutions are going to do anything to help the situation, I feel it's only going to get worse until someday, maybe, real Americans get genuinely serious about protecting the schools with physical hardening and, most importantly, armed staff.

Last edited:
Exactly right. Many factors are coming together to manufacture this sudden terrible "crisis" and the hysterical leftist media looking for ratings, influence and political power is number one. Family and mental health-related failures comes next. Political failures (e.g., "Gun-Free Zones, Promise Program et al) are third and FBI/police/court system failures aren't very far behind. It is a perfect storm that has come together to cause and then exploit these tragedies. And since none of the leftist-proposed "gun control" solutions are going to do anything to help the situation, I feel it's only going to get worse until someday, maybe, real Americans get genuinely serious about protecting the schools with physical hardening and, most importantly, armed staff.
The news is propaganda.

Also, the whole arming teachers thing, we shouldn't articulate as that. The antis and those on the left believe in using the govt to force people to do something that they wouldn't otherwise do. We need to articulate this as ALLOWING teachers to exercise their rights and carry a concealed weapon IF THEY CHOOSE TO! .
and are properly trained, although they couldn't be worse shots than 1/2 the cops out there!

also, when kids start torturing animals and plotting others' demise, it's time to bring back INVOLUNTARY institutionalization!

Fire 4 to 8 useless administrators and hire 4 to 8 armed security guards for every school, not bubba's but a true fire team. They won't deal with any issues but an attacker. That will do it.

Just knowing the school has an armed fire team ready will stop this. I was AF security and this can be done easily.

Fire 4 to 8 useless administrators and hire 4 to 8 armed security guards for every school, not bubba's but a true fire team. They won't deal with any issues but an attacker. That will do it.

Just knowing the school has an armed fire team ready will stop this. I was AF security and this can be done easily.

Okay. I’ll bite.

These 4 Air Force studs... what else are they going to be doing for the other 99% of the school year? Sitting around eating bon-bons?

How is that even remotely cost-effective?

Okay. I’ll bite.

These 4 Air Force studs... what else are they going to be doing for the other 99% of the school year? Sitting around eating bon-bons?

How is that even remotely cost-effective?
LOL, when has the department of education ever cared about cost effectiveness? It costs my town $18,000 to send my son to middle school every year. It's laughable that the omnibu spending bill is giving billions to shithole countries around the world for idiotic reasons, and you want to worry about "cost effectiveness".

"Good morning student Michael Jones. This is your third tardy this semester"

giphy.gif

LOL, when has the department of education ever cared about cost effectiveness? It costs my town $18,000 to send my son to middle school every year. It's laughable that the omnibu spending bill is giving billions to shithole countries around the world for idiotic reasons, and you want to worry about "cost effectiveness".

DOE ain’t paying for a fire team in every school. Your property taxes would. You want to pay four expensive guys to sit around the faculty lounge with guns on the .00006% chance they’re needed?

I don’t.

Back
Top Bottom