Scope for .17hmr rifle- Suggestions?

Any suggestions?

I am not looking to spend a fortune; but I want a reliable decent quality scope for taking out racoon/fox, etc...

Price range is below $150, ideally below $100.

I know that some companies make scopes for specific calibers. For example, Barska makes several models for the 17hmr. I believe that they are all under $100. Check ebay, cheaperthandirt, sportsmansguide, etc. I am sure other manufacturers make the same type of thing.

Sometimes the shoot w/ a .17HMR, one really needs some precision. I bought a Marlin 917V last summer. On Vermin like fox 75 Yards is most likely. I mounted an old 6-18x42mm AO on mine. The Barska scopes are junk, just my opinion. But, than again I have tried a few BSA .22 special scopes and been surprised. My Marlin 60 wears one. You may look at a BSA Sweet .17. The Big Issue (besides craftsmanship) w/ the Barska scopes is the heavy 30-30 reticule, it hides the target. You may also want to look at a set power Weaver or Pentax 6x. If you Zero at 140 yards w/ a .17HMR you are set for zero to 170 yards. For anything over 80 yards you need more than 4x power on real small targets. If you are planning on keeping fur, I would also suggest the 20gr gamepoint bullet. I use a Bushnell Trophy on both my .22mag and .223 varmint guns. They have Amberlight optics that change the reticule an amber color in low light. It is not the Firefly reticule. Great for low light or night hunting, but they are not cheap.
If I wanted a capible scope, this is what I would get. 0..120 yards easy.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=468799

I have a BSA sweet 17 scoop. It is nice and does the job. I got it a t Bass pro for aaround 100. a real good deal.

Honestly I have a BSA red dot from Wally World. The thing is dead-nuts on at 75 yards. I think I paid $24.00 for it. It looks kinda silly mounted on the gun, but it works really well. I won a 100 yard plate shoot with it this past summer.

What sucks the most about the BSA 17 models is as soon as you max zoom, you're all over the place.
I'd love to see proof of anyone getting a 1/4" sized group using a BSA Sweet 17 scope at 100 yards. I don't think it can be done.
Took me 12 rounds to hit a .17hmr shell casing at 100 yards using mine.[angry]

I've had good luck with Swift scopes - I've got a 6-18x44 on my Savage 17HMR right now. The 4-12x40 would fit your budget better, though.

Swift makes pretty good glass in their price point. They won't stand up to a 4200 or a Monarch, but they aren't priced up there, either.

Back
Top Bottom