Scope for a Benjamin Sheridan 5mm rifle

I have a Bushnel Sportview 3x-7x x 20mm scope on my pellet gun. My eyes are too old to shoot squirrels without it. Problem is the gun shoots all over the target from a bench rest. Any ideas why, any recommendations. I keep stinging squirrels not putting them down[frown][frown][frown]

I have a .20 sheridan, and close in it is a tack driver. Maybe you have a bum batch of pellets. Try finding the sheridan pellets from somewhere. Sheridan specifically developed the .20 pellet because the qualty of .22 pellets was too inferior for their needs.

Also, make sure you pump it up. I use 10 pumps for squirels.

You do need to either hit them in the spine or the head, or they will just lay stunned for a minute, and then get up and run away.

I am using ammo that is Sheridan ammo .20, it was bought about 40 years ago. Yeah, the gun sat domant for two decades, but it is in great shape. I take care of all my gear.[smile] The manual, yes I still have it, says no more than eight pumps, so that's all I've ever used. I think I'll try more head shots and see if that works. Any thoughts on air gun specific scopes?

I have never tried to clean mine, but I guess you could have some crud in there. Try running a dry wire .22 brush thru the barrel.

8 is probably enough for a squirel. I have been pumping to 10 for must be at least 200 shots and no damage, though.

Hmm, maybe you have hit on something, I have a cleaning rod just for this rifle, but I can't remember when I used it. If the groves are clogged, the pellet won't spin and may fly anywhere. I don't know, but I'll try it.

Don't use a brush or cleaning rod!! Use a pull through patch. In the next paragraph is a link to MAC 1 airguns. He has all the info on how to treat the gun. Slow down before you damage it.

There's a guy out on the left coast that works on those babies. He can even machine grooves into the receiver, so you can scope it, at a real low price. He sells the offset scope mounts you'll need too. If that gun is 40 years old, you've got a keeper. Anyway if you really want to get the most out of your Benji you should call this guy. His name is Tim McMurray. He's a great airgun smith and Benjis are his specialty. Good turn around time on his work and he'll stand behind it as well. BTW, you can ship airguns by UPS or Fedex for about $15-$20. Good luck on your Benji. Here's the link.
http://www.mac1airgun.com/

Last edited:
For an air rifle a BSA .22 Special scope would work great. They run about $30.00. 3-9x32mm. I put one on a Marlin 60 because the sights are so bad shooting cans was a pita. Now it's real accurate and fun plinker/hunter.

Don't use a brush or cleaning rod!! Use a pull through patch. In the next paragraph is a link to MAC 1 airguns. He has all the info on how to treat the gun. Slow down before you damage it.

There's a guy out on the left coast that works on those babies. He can even machine grooves into the receiver, so you can scope it, at a real low price. He sells the offset scope mounts you'll need too. If that gun is 40 years old, you've got a keeper. Anyway if you really want to get the most out of your Benji you should call this guy. His name is Tim McMurray. He's a great airgun smith and Benjis are his specialty. Good turn around time on his work and he'll stand behind it as well. BTW, you can ship airguns by UPS or Fedex for about $15-$20. Good luck on your Benji. Here's the link.
http://www.mac1airgun.com/

Interesting site. They say you are supposed to spray wax the pellets to avoid lead buildup. Apparently, lead build up IS a problem in these rifles. Did not know that.

Interesting site. They say you are supposed to spray wax the pellets to avoid lead buildup. Apparently, lead build up IS a problem in these rifles. Did not know that.

Lubing the pellets is not really necessary, but it helps. The most important thing is NOT to use gun cleaning products or bore brushes that are not approved or you'll end up with damage to seals, o-rings, barrels, etc. The pivot points on the cocking arm need lube and the lube tends to migrate into the air chamber, so you must use the correct oil to lube the pivot points or damage the innards. In reality they don't need that much attention, just a little TLC.

Yanci, I came this closw to running a brush with Hoppes #9 through the barrel. Couldn't find the cleanning rod i bought years ago, so I sat down to watch the SB and followup on this thread. Thanks man. I will run down the link and see what to do next

Whew!! Close call. I don't own a pump up or I'd be able to give you better advice on the right lubes to use. Your gun is so old it probably has a leather cup for pumping. I'd call Tim at MAC 1 and pump him for advice. He's a good guy. I've talked to him personally. He can make that Benji better than new.

After this thread, I go to inspecting my old sheridan. I bought a new tin of Benjamin pellets. I was suprised when they came in--all nice and shinny and with a slick "lubricated" feeling to them. I compared them to my old box of gray, powdery coated pellets, and it became obvious. All that lead oxide is probably gunking up the rifling in the barrel every time I shoot them.

So I would recommend you look at your pellets. If they are not all shinny and slippery, I would get a new tin of those Benjamins, and clean out the barrel as it is probably gunked up.

Back
Top Bottom