Scope for an AR-15

I am looking for a mid range scope for my AR. I saw a combo, rifle scope and spotting scope for a decent price, but the rifle scope was almost 18-20" long. Looking for something more tactical looking with good optics out to 300 yds.
Any help please.

Thanks, Mike

I have a Burris XTR 1-4X that I like a lot. My girlfriend was using it at the Nauset sniper match and was doing real well at 200 yards last weekend.

I have used a Millet DMS from 3-500 yards. Its a good scope for the money. The Burris XTR is better and with the BDC its easier to shoot further, plus the field of view is a lot better and the glass is brighter and clear. but it costs a lot more. Both have illuminated reticle, but I found neither bright enough during the day for fast up close shooting.

1-4x are a compromise scope, they do everything well, but nothing great. If you are looking to do everything with your rifle, they are the way to go

That costs almost as much as my gun.
You guys are way above my league. I was thinking around $150 ish. [shocked]

Glass is very important to good shooting. If you can't see it, you can't hit it.

For a little more money than the DMS. Burris make a Tac30 1-4x

Look for some used scopes if price is an issue

I am looking for a mid range scope for my AR. I saw a combo, rifle scope and spotting scope for a decent price, but the rifle scope was almost 18-20" long. Looking for something more tactical looking with good optics out to 300 yds.
Any help please.

Thanks, Mike

Get this:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=746570

It's on sale for $109 right now and you can see your holes in the target at 100-200 if you're steady. It's a steal. I've heard it's a relabeled Nikon or other high end brand.
I have one on my AR and it's definitely more than a 100 dolla scope, no doubt! It was touching holes at 200 yards when I gave up adjusting it on the last trip.
You'll be more than happy with this scope!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0904.JPG
    IMG_0904.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 52
PM sent.
$ for $, these scopes are the best. I've heard rumor for months that they are going to sell out of these whitetail models and you won't be able to fine them in this price range any more, 20 power is awesome!
My bro had one on his 243 and we were picking off small lolly pops at 100 yds or so. My old man tried and hit the stick of my lolly pop since the candy was gone. [laugh]

Given the real effective range of 5.56, coupled with the typical 200 or less yard ranges to train at and the shear odds against you having to make longer than a 400yd shot in NE due to trees, I'd say the lower power ranges are the way to go. If you're really concerned about engaging targets beyond 400 yards, odds are you already own a larger caliber deer rifle with a higher power optic sighted at a longer distance.

I have one of the Sightmark's on my AR I bought at Xmas and it's held up well, about 500rds and no drift. 1/4 MOA external adjustments which is nice. Only drawback is no illuminated reticle, but for $125ish it's more than worth what you pay. If money wasn't an issue I'd go Leupold, but I'd like to build my wife a rifle before I start spending that kind of money on a scope.

I have a Barska spotting scope, and while it gets the job done...it's like looking through a pint glass full of Charles water.

I also have a Millett DMS, which for the money is a perfectly serviceable scope. Illuminated reticle, positive adjustments, and clear as can be.

I think a 1-4 scope is the way to go for a general purpose AR. I have the Meopta K-Dot on mine and love it, though it's more than you want to spend. I decided to 'buy once, cry once', as they say.

Get this:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=746570

It's on sale for $109 right now and you can see your holes in the target at 100-200 if you're steady. It's a steal. I've heard it's a relabeled Nikon or other high end brand.
I have one on my AR and it's definitely more than a 100 dolla scope, no doubt! It was touching holes at 200 yards when I gave up adjusting it on the last trip.
You'll be more than happy with this scope!!!

These scopes are made by Simmons. I have 2 of them and I have been very pleased with them so far for what they cost.

I have a Millet DMS-1 on my Sig 556 and I like it. Glass is clear enough for 100-300 yard shots but I wouldn't use it for anything further than that, but if you're engaging targets beyond 300 yards a .223/5.56 round would not be my choice anyway. For those distances I'd rather have a 7mm-08, .308, 30-06, etc...you get the drift. But as a good all around scope it's hard to beat for the price. It holds zero, and seems rugged. The company also stands behind their product.

I have a Burris 2-7x on my AR right now. I got it at a good price, as someone took it off a BP rifle, and enjoy the flexibility. However, I am thinking of putting a small red dot mounted on the scope tube for under <25yd work.

If you do, report back. I think that's what I want to put on my 22LR upper.

I have heard good things about this scope, And I have had excellent luck with Primary Arms Micro and Mini reflex. But I already have a 1-4x. I would recommend that you run the same scope on your .22 as your .223. Why training with a scope that you not be using?

I have heard good things about this scope, And I have had excellent luck with Primary Arms Micro and Mini reflex. But I already have a 1-4x. I would recommend that you run the same scope on your .22 as your .223. Why training with a scope that you not be using?

Because I don't want to futz with the zero or buy another $600 scope + $200 mount.

Has anyone tried the new Nikons that are designed for the AR? I'm considering going that way.

i've had my eye on those as well. but i prefer a 30mm tube. it's soooo tempting! wish they sold a combo w / a mount. i just want to look through one.

i dislike the Millet DMS recticle... so i've been meat gazing for almost a year. [laugh] maybe i'll pony up the $$$ for the Burris from LaRue...

Back
Top Bottom